It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Have I played you before?
Post #1 Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:03 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
Is there an easy way to see if you've played a person before, and what your record is against them?

Post subject: Re: Have I played you before?
Post #2 Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:19 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 90
Was liked: 837
KGS: Capsule 4d
Tygem: 치킨까스 5d
Yep; http://kgs.gosquares.net. After you input your KGS username, there is an option at the top that lets you see head-to-head results against other players. Unfortunately I think site's having problems connecting to the KGS database at the moment.

Post #3 Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:02 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
Thanks, though I am getting an error message from the site:

Quote:
Failed to get data from KGS archive. ID is invalid, or KGS server did not response.

grumble grumble.

Post #4 Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:40 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 257
Was liked: 287
KGS: wms
I have the code on KGS to do this (and there's a secret URL that lets you see it on a web page), but it isn't on. I have no database index for it at the moment, so for users with huge numbers of games (e.g. robots) it takes a very long time and really hits the database hard. Adding another index would solve that, but the database engine is strained as it is, so adding an index to a large often-modified table would again not work so well.

The next set of KGS hardware will probably be powerful enough to add the index and make this a standard feature. It looks like that will be purchased some time in 2011. Earlier if the current hardware fails.

Post #5 Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:37 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 101
Was liked: 73
KGS: CarlJung
wms wrote:
The next set of KGS hardware will probably be powerful enough to add the index and make this a standard feature. It looks like that will be purchased some time in 2011. Earlier if the current hardware fails.

Ouch, moral dilemma. Should we wish for the current hardware to fail so we get new features sooner or should we wish the current hardware to prosper and have to wait for the features?

Post #6 Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:11 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 257
Was liked: 287
KGS: wms
CarlJung wrote:
Ouch, moral dilemma. Should we wish for the current hardware to fail so we get new features sooner or should we wish the current hardware to prosper and have to wait for the features?

Well, the sooner I have to buy new hardware the less likely it will be to be able to support this feature, so hope things don't break. :)

A 32GB SSD for the most critical database tables would make this feature easy, but right now it's hard to find affordable dedicated hosting with an SSD option. And colocating is out of my price range.

Post #7 Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:02 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 80
Was liked: 62
Araban wrote:
Yep; http://kgs.gosquares.net. After you input your KGS username, there is an option at the top that lets you see head-to-head results against other players. Unfortunately I think site's having problems connecting to the KGS database at the moment.

Thought I'd mention that this site seems to be up and working again.

Definitely interested in the "official" version once we get the hardware for it. I love me some good statistical information, even if it doesn't always mean a whole lot to me. ;)