All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: kgs enclave mag
Post #1 Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:03 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 1
KGS: voice1
Hi all,
My brother (ricky1) and I are thinking about starting up the enclave magazine again. First off I was just wondering, if we do this, what articles you would like to see in it? How often do you think it should come out (I was thinking bi-monthly). Also this would be a hard project and we would like your support, so if there is anyone who would like to write some articals please let me know. Thanks I look forward to the replies!

Edit The third issue is up and ready for download

Last edited by voice1 on Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: kgs enclave mag
Post #2 Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:14 am 
Dies in gote

Also I will try to find the first three magazines we did, and put them up for download. That way if you don't know about them you can or just want to see what they'll look like you can. Thx again

Post #3 Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:49 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 31
Was liked: 12
GD Posts: 259
And what did that magazine originally include?

Post #4 Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:17 pm 
Dies in gote

LovroKlc wrote:
And what did that magazine originally include?

The magazine we made had many different articals. Anything from current events to a picture sent in to represent go. With others like reviews, fuseki, humor, history, and more. Of course you don't have to take my word for it. I am still working on getting the first three together and up. I tried the other night but had tech and time issues. I will get those up as soon as I can. Thanks for the question

Post #5 Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:21 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 136
I have a suggestion but I'm not sure I can explain it in a little postie. I have been playing about 40 years and I got comfortable with the fact I will probably never get much better than 15-12k. that means my perception of go, at almost every conceptual level, is dramatically different from single digit kyus. I will never understand dan-level moves. When I play against stronger players, they make tricksy moves that mean nothing to me and things die. Punishing my lack of comprehension by killing groups I think a safe does not teach me anything, it just means I don't understand. It's like asking a student who has completed a semester of English as a Second Language to explicate poetry.

I have shepherded the Boise Go Club for 30 years. I have taught many dozens to play. My last few students opened my eyes to something unexpected...not everyone wants to get good enough to win or to even get much better. They just want to learn an interesting mental exercise and participate in what looks like an extraordinary cultural experience.
That changed my entire approach to helping them along. I stopped trying to demonstrate snapbacks and explain advanced tricks like ko and throw-in. We simply concentrated simple shapes and advancing them across 13- line boards. I used Janice Kim's haengma (vol.2, p38) as my guide.

Difficult to explain to other, far more skilled go players the tremendous satisfaction my students receive from these sessions.

So, yes, there is a topic I'd like to see addressed, teaching go to people who seek entertainment instead of advancement.

David boise Id

This post by bogiesan was liked by: voice1

Post #6 Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:25 pm 
Dies in gote

bogiesan wrote:
My last few students opened my eyes to something unexpected...not everyone wants to get good enough to win or to even get much better. They just want to learn an interesting mental exercise and participate in what looks like an extraordinary cultural experience.
That changed my entire approach to helping them along. I stopped trying to demonstrate snapbacks and explain advanced tricks like ko and throw-in. We simply concentrated simple shapes and advancing them across 13- line boards. I used Janice Kim's haengma (vol.2, p38) as my guide.

Difficult to explain to other, far more skilled go players the tremendous satisfaction my students receive from these sessions.

So, yes, there is a topic I'd like to see addressed, teaching go to people who seek entertainment instead of advancement.

David boise Id

David,
I think that is a good point. Not everyone wants to get better at the game, and are alright with that. They seek entertainment.

Though I have a question for you. What do you find entertaining about go? Things like culture, and interactions between countries are good and entertaining. The only problem with writing about them is that most of what we could get would be second hand, and most likely already written about. Now we have done things like the history of Go and computer Go, but I think you have a different thing in mind. Any specific ideas would be great and easier to work with.

Now you also talked about shape. I think that's a good idea too. We'll try to include it in the magazine.

Thanks for the ideas

Post #7 Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:15 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 28
Was liked: 12
GD Posts: 42
KGS: Nikolas73
DGS: Nikolas73
I remember this magazine! I always loved reading it, looking forward to its return. I'm afraid I'm too busy to contribute anything useful, although perhaps I could set you up/help out with web hosting (pm me for details)?

Glad to see that you guys are doing this again.

Post #8 Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:25 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 10
Was liked: 41
It was a good magazine, and I'd be happy to see it come back. Don't stretch yourself though, 4 issues a year is plenty.

Post #9 Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:18 pm 
Dies in gote

Nikolas73 wrote:
I remember this magazine! I always loved reading it, looking forward to its return.

I'm glad to see that someone remembers the magazine! Also, Nickolas I'll talk to Ricky about that web hosting offer. Thanks we are glad to hear the interest is still high for the magazine.

Javaness wrote:
It was a good magazine, and I'd be happy to see it come back. Don't stretch yourself though, 4 issues a year is plenty.

Java,
Last time we worked on it we were doing (or at least trying to do) it monthly. Now we're thinking bi-monthly. So it's half of what we had to do last time, and we have the advantage of doing it once before this time also. So we're trying not to go in over our heads.
Thanks for the concern

Post #10 Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:59 pm 
Dies in gote

Hi all,
Due to not being able to upload the magazine here (don't know why it's not working), we uploaded it elsewhere. http://www.filefactory.com/file/ca91877/n/Enclave_Third_Issue.zip Please let me know if you have any trouble with downloading it.
Thanks, Voice1