It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The android client
Post #1 Posted: Sat May 22, 2010 2:51 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 0
I have two wishes regarding the android client, which is about to make me buy a smartphone (which I untill now considered an unnecessary gadget; a toy for grown ups). Anyway, I live in a region where paid apps aren't available yet, so...

1) Is there any chance that the client would show up on slideme.org or someplace similar?
2) A youtube video of the client running would be great for us who doesn't own a smartphone, and need to find out if this is the program that should make us buy one

Post subject: Re: The android client
Post #2 Posted: Sun May 23, 2010 12:12 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 257
Was liked: 287
KGS: wms
I don't plan on going to slideme just yet. It's just another thing to hassle with, and once I add the client there I can't take it away without depriving people of upgrades, so I'm pretty much hoping that the Android market becomes more widely available over time.

As for the video, it's not that exciting as a video I don't think. :) Look at the screen shots of it, they tell you as much as a video could.

Post #3 Posted: Sun May 23, 2010 3:52 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 1562
Was liked: 140
GD Posts: 892
Instead of a video of the software itself, a video of someone holding an android and using it would be interesting. It was what made me want Tetsuki really bad at first.

Not that I wasn't already planning on getting the client as soon as I get an android. If only I could get one now...

Post #4 Posted: Sun May 23, 2010 5:07 am 
Beginner

Actually, this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bcXNMY2KUo) video convinced me that it would be possible to make good smartphone solutions for this game. I think it's hard to get the same feeling with screenshots, even though they're really nice.

And yeah, I really hope that Google opens up its marketplace soon. It's such a shame, that during this Android boom period, the market isn't even ready in many countries. We need someone to break the iMonopoly.

Post #5 Posted: Sun May 23, 2010 5:32 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 33
Was liked: 72
GD Posts: 1165
KGS: Dogen
MadsS wrote:
Actually, this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bcXNMY2KUo) video convinced me that it would be possible to make good smartphone solutions for this game. I think it's hard to get the same feeling with screenshots, even though they're really nice.

And yeah, I really hope that Google opens up its marketplace soon. It's such a shame, that during this Android boom period, the market isn't even ready in many countries. We need someone to break the iMonopoly.

iMonopoly? If I'm not mistaken, Apple has 16% of the smartphone market. Hardly a monopoly. They do, however, have a more efficient store system for apps, apparently. Though it's still not available in all countries.

This post by kirkmc was liked by: CarlJung

Post #6 Posted: Sun May 23, 2010 6:00 am 
Beginner

kirkmc wrote:
MadsS wrote:

iMonopoly? If I'm not mistaken, Apple has 16% of the smartphone market. Hardly a monopoly.

Really? Actually I'm surprised it's not more than that. Just feels like it I guess. Anyway, I would love if someone out there would post a youtube video of the client...

Post #7 Posted: Sun May 23, 2010 6:08 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 49
Was liked: 129
MadsS wrote:
kirkmc wrote:
iMonopoly? If I'm not mistaken, Apple has 16% of the smartphone market. Hardly a monopoly.

Really? Actually I'm surprised it's not more than that. Just feels like it I guess. Anyway, I would love if someone out there would post a youtube video of the client...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Smart ... 9_full.png

Post #8 Posted: Sun May 23, 2010 9:34 am 
Lives in gote

MadsS wrote:

Ah right, Alejo's video is quite nice. I thought you wanted a screenshot video. :)

If I get time today maybe I'll try to make a video of the KGS android client in use.

Post #9 Posted: Sun May 23, 2010 10:54 am 
Beginner

wms wrote:
MadsS wrote:

Ah right, Alejo's video is quite nice. I thought you wanted a screenshot video. :)

If I get time today maybe I'll try to make a video of the KGS android client in use.

That sounds great WMS! I'm looking forward to that. I'm sure it'll sell a few extra copies of the client as well...

Post #10 Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:03 am 
Lives in gote

MadsS wrote:
That sounds great WMS! I'm looking forward to that. I'm sure it'll sell a few extra copies of the client as well...
It'll have to wait. KGS got sick on Saturday night, then Sunday I reinstalled the OS on my home computer (still not done), etc...I may never get to it. I'll try though.