It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
 Post subject: Re: The future of KGS
Post #221 Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:03 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 149
Was liked: 101
Universal go server handle: billywoods
bleep wrote:
KGS does seem to have a small lag, but nothing I would complain about. I think people need to take a step back and see what they are getting
bleep wrote:
forgive me if I missed something pertinent

Did you miss the part where I said (several times) that the lag I was experiencing recently was prohibitively long (>10 seconds per move on average) and led to me losing games on time? Or where I said it would often take so long to change from one room tab to another that I wouldn't even bother to start a game? (With respect, if I think I have missed something pertinent, I usually go back and read a little more.)

Post #222 Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 6:07 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
billywoods wrote:
[..] I said (several times) that the lag I was experiencing recently was prohibitively long (>10 seconds per move on average) and led to me losing games on time? [..]
IF the lag really is the fault of KGS then both players at least have the same chance of losing on time, no? So … <g,d&r>

Post #223 Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:37 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 45
Was liked: 103
KGS: redundant/silchas
Tygem: redundant
Wbaduk: redundant
DGS: redundant
OGS: redundant
I for one understand billywood's frustration. The majority of the english speaking go community plays on KGS. Not being able to do so must be very frustrating, independent of discussions of responsibility or obligation.

Post #224 Posted: Sat May 11, 2013 6:53 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 18
KGS: bleep
Tygem: rbleep
IGS: rbleep
billywoods wrote:
bleep wrote:
KGS does seem to have a small lag, but nothing I would complain about. I think people need to take a step back and see what they are getting
bleep wrote:
forgive me if I missed something pertinent

Did you miss the part where I said (several times) that the lag I was experiencing recently was prohibitively long (>10 seconds per move on average) and led to me losing games on time? Or where I said it would often take so long to change from one room tab to another that I wouldn't even bother to start a game? (With respect, if I think I have missed something pertinent, I usually go back and read a little more.)

I wasn't really targeting specific posters, just the general attitude. And I still don't feel that I missed anything pertinent.

That said, I can also understand your frustration, I just don't see that there is much to be done about it unfortunately.

Post #225 Posted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:27 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 18
'Please, sir, I want some more.'

The master was a fat, healthy man; but he turned very pale. He gazed in stupified astonishment on the small rebel for some seconds, and then clung for support to the copper. The assistants were paralysed with wonder; the boys with fear.

'What!' said the master at length, in a faint voice.

'Please, sir,' replied Oliver, 'I want some more.'

The master aimed a blow at Oliver's head with the ladle; pinioned him in his arm; and shrieked aloud for the beadle.

The board were sitting in solemn conclave, when Mr. Bumble rushed into the room in great excitement, and addressing the gentleman in the high chair, said,

'Mr. Limbkins, I beg your pardon, sir! Oliver Twist has asked for more!'

There was a general start. Horror was depicted on every countenance.

'For MORE!' said Mr. Limbkins. 'Compose yourself, Bumble, and answer me distinctly. Do I understand that he asked for more, after he had eaten the supper allotted by the dietary?'

'He did, sir,' replied Bumble.

'That boy will be hung,' said the gentleman in the white waistcoat. 'I know that boy will be hung.'

This post by duckweed was liked by 3 people: deja, Joaz Banbeck, LocoRon

Post #226 Posted: Sat May 11, 2013 5:57 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 141
Was liked: 123
Universal go server handle: speedchase
duckweed wrote:

The master was a fat, healthy man; but he turned very pale. He gazed in stupified astonishment on the small rebel for some seconds, and then clung for support to the copper. The assistants were paralysed with wonder; the boys with fear.

The master aimed a blow at Oliver's head with the ladle; pinioned him in his arm; and shrieked aloud for the beadle.

The board were sitting in solemn conclave, when Mr. Bumble rushed into the room in great excitement, and addressing the gentleman in the high chair, said,

'For MORE!' said Mr. Limbkins. 'Compose yourself, Bumble, and answer me distinctly. Do I understand that he asked for more, after he had eaten the supper allotted by the dietary?'

'That boy will be hung,' said the gentleman in the white waistcoat. 'I know that boy will be hung.'

Are you comparing yourself to a starving orphan?

Post #227 Posted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:10 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 304
Was liked: 631
speedchase wrote:
duckweed wrote:

Read carefully, my good man! The dietary himself had determined the allotment of gruel. The ingrate was by no means a starveling.

Post #228 Posted: Sun May 12, 2013 8:31 am 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
duckweed wrote:

"Begging your pardon, again, sir," Bumble said, with a tremor in his voice, "but he's a boy no longer. He's two score and three years old."

The gentleman arose, adjusted his waistcoat by pulling at the lower edge with both hands. He glared at Bumble. "Have we not made it clear to you, Bumble, that you are to feed only the starvlings that we send to you? Do you not understand that any wastrel off the streets is to be turned away?"

"But...but sir...he lives in the basement."

Post #229 Posted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:11 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 105
Was liked: 123
speedchase wrote:

said, Bumble the Beadle.

Post #230 Posted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:13 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
Looks like a KGS web client beta is not too far away, but things will be a bit uncertain. https://plus.google.com/108736506961432 ... eipFcsKSNb

Post #231 Posted: Mon May 20, 2013 8:13 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 6
Was liked: 31
KGS: 2d
hyperpape wrote:
Looks like a KGS web client beta is not too far away, but things will be a bit uncertain. https://plus.google.com/108736506961432 ... eipFcsKSNb

That's a natural consequence if you work alone on a project, but I think since the Java-client is working fine it isn't a blow to KGS. Is WMS planning any new things with his Web-KGS or is it a 1:1 transfer from what we already have with KGS?

Post #232 Posted: Mon May 20, 2013 8:23 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
I hesitate to answer for him, but go back in his posts (possibly in comments) and he says what he wants to do.

Post #233 Posted: Mon May 20, 2013 8:45 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 180
Was liked: 151
GD Posts: 422
KGS: komi
Pippen wrote:
Is WMS planning any new things with his Web-KGS or is it a 1:1 transfer from what we already have with KGS?

I believe it is a 1-1 port of the KGS Android client, i.e. less than a 1-1 port of the Java client. At least for now.

Post #234 Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:34 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 4
The funnode server is constantly being improved based on players' feedback. If you guys have time to check it out and suggest improvements, perhaps it can one day compete with KGS :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12