It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Feature proposal for Game End Handling
Post #1 Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:20 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 213
Was liked: 96
GD Posts: 325
It seems that not all of my opponents are equipped with this helpful device, yet:

Cause some of them will greet me at the beginning of the game, even wish us a good game, but after the match, they will just leave without any word or comment. Nothing. (Maybe they are just too exausted after the match and only manage to press the close button.)

So here is where my proposed new feature could come into play and help to reduce some of the frustration that comes up in these moments. The system could just notice that the oppent is obviously either in a very bad mood after the game or he just does not have any good manners - anyway, the system could just issue randomly one of those: 'thanks', 'tx', 'ty', 'thnaks' - just as if it was actually typed in by my opponent. (The misspelled version mostly in the case that my opponent lost the game.)

Alternatively, if this feature is not feasible, the system could add those players automatically to my ignore list. This would save me lots of manual interaction.

This post by SpongeBob was liked by: CarlJung

Post subject: Re: Feature proposal for Game End Handling
Post #2 Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:46 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 391
Was liked: 162
Au contraire, I have the impression that most players do only have such a keyboard.

By the way, I do not consider "thx" and the like a proper replacement for even rudimentary conversation.

Post #3 Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:57 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 213
Was liked: 96
GD Posts: 325
Harleqin wrote:
Au contraire, I have the impression that most players do only have such a keyboard.

Yeah ... that would explain it if the thx-key typically stops working after some time on those cool little gadgets.

Well, I am dropping my request about the ignore list, then. :)

Post #4 Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:01 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 101
Was liked: 73
KGS: CarlJung
Harleqin wrote:
By the way, I do not consider "thx" and the like a proper replacement for even rudimentary conversation.

o rly?

Post #5 Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:36 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 36
Was liked: 63
KGS: Toge
My keyboard is different. It includes "Hey" and "Thanks" buttons. It also has the "any key" which some DOS programs require.

Post #6 Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:43 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 53
Was liked: 171
GD Posts: 1104
KGS: fwiffo
Actually, I was watching one of Josh's lectures, and Wbaduk actually has buttons for "hello", "thanks for the game", etc. It sounds silly, but it can be used to overcome the language barrier. It could send a message in the native language of the client they're using, and you could have menu options for all kinds of other common go-related phrases. For example, if you were using the English client and your opponent was using the German client, when you click the "Thanks" button it would send "Danke."

So you might be able to say "That was fun; would you like to play another?" or "Would you like to review the game?" in any language for which there is a client. It would also be handy on the Android client where typing out messages takes a long time.

Post #7 Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:17 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 1
I would actually be against this. It would feel a little fake. It's not exactly the same as actually typing it out, since i would like to feel that another person is on the other side.

I would actually be happy to see a "bon partie" or a "danke" from the opponent. It has a unite the world kind of feeling. Not quite, but it still has a magical feeling... with unicorns :D

"Complexity is Magic: The Gathering, lots of tiny rules and special cases, and basically every single card is a unique case. Depth is Go: the game has 4 rules, and it takes literally decades to learn how to play that game well."