It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: KGS trolls
Post #41 Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:46 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 3
Universal go server handle: Jermelle
There was a time when I was reported for harassment because I playing a student, he wanted too resign I didn't let him because it was still very early. the next thing I know an admin sends me something. But if i try and do it all I'll get is "censor them"

Post #42 Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:54 am 
Oza

Liked others: 662
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: Boidhre
You didn't let a beginner resign when they wanted to? Do you mean, suggested they play on or berate them into playing on?

Post #43 Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:57 am 
Dies in gote

I suggested they play on, I killed a few stones (like 5-6 stones) and he just quit even tho it was so early in the game.

Post #44 Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:36 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 143
Was liked: 218
Universal go server handle: moyoaji
tchan001 wrote:
To me, it simply says "Being weak, you need to get stronger to be on the list :)"

I'd rather have a strong player tell me "You are weak and you need to study more. Here is how you should think about this game losing moment." rather than, "You are so strong, figure out why you lost on your own. I'm sure you're smart enough." But of course, this is my own preference.

I don't think we are talking about the same thing.

It is one thing to tell someone about a mistake they made after the game is over. Reviewing a game is never wrong and only a fool wouldn't accept advice on how to do better.

What I am talking about, and what happened in this case, is a person who is taunting a weaker opponent during the game. This would not be done to help their opponent, but instead to make the mocker feel superior. That is not acceptable and serves no useful purpose.

Regardless, though, the phrase "You are weak and need to study more" is not a good way to start a review. And the phrase "You are strong, figure it out on your own" is not a way to say that you don't want to review with them. Neither is acceptable in my eyes. How about "Would you like to review?" and "Sorry, I don't feel like doing a review."

If being civil is too hard for someone then, frankly, I don't want to play with them and would prefer they use a different server. I don't care how weak I am or how strong they are, someone like that doesn't deserve my time.

-Kageyama Toshiro on proper moves

Post #45 Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:39 am 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
Jermelle wrote:
Okay I get unbanned quite soon. But the only issue is that my friends on KGS have told me (via. FaceBook) that they plan on harassing me until I crack again. This is the kind of stuff I talk about when I say "KGS trolls" Now I know the admins won't do anything about it this time because they think of it has teasing. But it's not, teasing and harassment are 2 very different things.

Strange use of the word "friends".

This post by DrStraw was liked by: uriel

Post #46 Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:41 am 
Oza

Liked others: 662
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: Boidhre
Jermelle wrote:
I suggested they play on, I killed a few stones (like 5-6 stones) and he just quit even tho it was so early in the game.

General life tip: the equivalent of killing a small group when someone feels like all is lost isn't the best way to encourage someone. It's what you do when you want to break their spirit.

Post #47 Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:45 am 
Dies in gote

Drstraw I have friends that are not banned on KGS that tell me anything I ask them too :) friends are there for you. I won't name their names but let's just say... they are always willing too help. They are my eyes and ears and mouth of needed

Post #48 Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:34 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 143
Was liked: 218
Universal go server handle: moyoaji
Jermelle wrote:
Drstraw I have friends that are not banned on KGS that tell me anything I ask them too :) friends are there for you. I won't name their names but let's just say... they are always willing too help. They are my eyes and ears and mouth of needed

You may be a little too young to realize this, but true friends don't tell you anything you ask them to. A true friend is honest with you and willing to tell you when you screw up. Yes, a true friend is supportive when you are in need, but I would be cautious of calling any "yes man" a friend. My best friend has called me an idiot on several occassions and I am grateful for it (he also plays go with me).

That said, let me give you some friendly advice.

I am sorry that you were insulted on the KGS. I feel the person who insulted you was wrong to do so and they should not have mocked you or said that you were a lower rank than you are. Looking at some of your other games, it looks like your behavior is fine most of the time. However, your behavior in this most recent game is not acceptable. Yes, you were being pushed around after the game and this should not have happened, but your response was not right. Attacking others is not an acceptable way to stand up for yourself. Using vulgarity is also not a generally accepted behavior on the KGS and can be deserving of a ban in-and-of itself.

I am not saying you should back down from bullies, but you need to defend yourself properly on the KGS - remaining civil. An issue with the way this situation was handled is that this behavior can lead to more bans in the future.

-Kageyama Toshiro on proper moves

This post by moyoaji was liked by: Alexei

Post #49 Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:50 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 82
Was liked: 65
Jermelle wrote:
But the only issue is that my friends on KGS have told me (via. FaceBook) that they plan on harassing me until I crack again. This is the kind of stuff I talk about when I say "KGS trolls" Now I know the admins won't do anything about it this time because they think of it has teasing. But it's not, teasing and harassment are 2 very different things.

Oddly enough, I see my younger self there....

I was bullied at school, when a bit younger than you. The teachers called it teasing, since there was no physical abuse (unlike an earlier episode), and seemed to do nothing about it. They just told me to not let the teasing get to me.

But now, in the light of recent experience, I wonder whether they were well-aware of what was happening and couldn't do anything directly because maybe that would turn me into some sort of "teachers' pet" and so give the teasers more ammunition for their teasing.

Eventually one teacher took me aside and talked to me. She made it clear that it was not my fault I was being teased---young kids tend to do it at random until they hit on a reaction. That's the nature of kids. But it was partially my fault that they were zeroing in on me because of the way I was reacting. I have a short temper and I was tending to start screaming at them, which is very entertaining from their point of view.

So I learned to shrug and walk away (the "whatever" response is not new). I did lose a promising piece of knitting because they were using it to play "piggy-in-the-middle" above my head, but eventually they stopped. One of them even said "you're no fun any more". And maybe it was more difficult for me because this was a boarding school---I couldn't just log out.

So just be polite and walk away. It might take a while, but if you are no longer so entertaining, they'll find someone else to tease (solving their own problems is a different matter).

Last edited by Nyanjilla on Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

This post by Nyanjilla was liked by 6 people: Bantari, daal, GoRo, illluck, Joaz Banbeck, uriel

Post #50 Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:00 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 82
Was liked: 65
....oh, and a vital skill that every good teacher develops is how to encourage beginners to continue.

Looking backward from the teacher's perspective, the teacher can see there's a huge volume of knowledge that the beginner will need to absorb, but the beginner does not need to realise just how huge that volume is. Yet. So the teacher skillfully leads the student on to starting to discover that knowledge for hirself. The teacher might even be up-front and say "I'm giving you lots of stones, so you are bound to win!" If the game goes wrong and the student realises it, the teacher agrees and suggests Undo until the student is back at a situation where he feels he's still winning. Or suggests a new game.

Note that the teacher is not "letting the student win" but setting up the teaching situation so the student has a good chance of catching the go-playing bug.

This post by Nyanjilla was liked by: GoRo

Post #51 Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:19 pm 
Dies in gote

Thanks Nyanjilla. I owe you for this :)

This post by Jermelle was liked by: GoRo

Post #52 Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:35 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 683
Was liked: 138
Universal go server handle: Splatted
Splatted wrote:
If you challenge a 3d to an even game people expect you to be around 3d. Of course they're going to think your weak when they see you playing like a kyu player because from a dan's perspective a 5k is weak. That's not an opinion it's a fact and I say it as someone who is also around 5k. We have basically no chance of beating them. They don't care if we're 5k or 10k and they probably can't tell the difference in an even game. It's an easy win either way.

I realise my earlier post sounds like I'm criticising you so I wanted to clarify that I was just trying to point out what a pointless argument it was. whether it's true or not I do agree that it's rude to call someone weak.

Post #53 Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:26 pm 
Dies in gote

Oh i knew it wasn't an insult, I understood what you were saying.

Post #54 Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:49 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 683
Was liked: 138
Universal go server handle: Splatted
Then all is well. :D

Post #55 Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:51 pm 
Dies in gote

So anyway, i got back on KGS I got teased again. But I censored them and left the room ;0

This post by Jermelle was liked by 2 people: Joaz Banbeck, RBerenguel

Post #56 Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:57 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 577
Was liked: 298
KGS: RBerenguel
Tygem: rberenguel
Wbaduk: JohnKeats
Kaya handle: RBerenguel
Online playing schedule: KGS on Saturday I use to be online, but I can be if needed from 20-23 GMT+1
Jermelle wrote:
So anyway, i got back on KGS I got teased again. But I censored them and left the room ;0

You just levelled up in real life ;)

Post #57 Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:01 pm 
Dies in gote

lol I mean I left the room i knew that they would still be talking about me, but I quoted Nyanjilla and I left the room.

Post #58 Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:08 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 577
Was liked: 298
KGS: RBerenguel
Tygem: rberenguel
Wbaduk: JohnKeats
Kaya handle: RBerenguel
Online playing schedule: KGS on Saturday I use to be online, but I can be if needed from 20-23 GMT+1
I know, but acting like this is what makes "you" level up, not the image you have about you or the image others have but what you are.

Post #59 Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:09 pm 
Dies in gote

wooo, I feel better now /o/

Post #60 Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:22 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
Jermelle wrote:

:clap:

This post by Joaz Banbeck was liked by: GoRo

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next