It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: dwm and cgoban3
Post #1 Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:38 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
Universal go server handle: nabya
I'm running Debian 7.2 with dwm as my window manager. I have openjdk7 and icedtea7 installed, and cgoban starts fine, but it won't let me resize the window. This happens: Image

I've read of the same thing happening with XMonad, and I've tried the solutions here (at least the ones that involved exporting variables, since the other ones were Xmonad-specific). Any idea how to get this to work, if it's possible? I mostly play on IGS but I'd like to use KGS sometimes.

Post subject: Re: dwm and cgoban3
Post #2 Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:35 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 21
Was liked: 9
Tygem: cmhobbs
IGS: cmhobbs
DGS: cmhobbs
Universal go server handle: cmhobbs
Online playing schedule: OGS for most any time, IGS occassionally after 2130 CST or on weekends, KGS if necessary.
Do you encounter the same problem with a wm like awesome? What about clients like qGO? My guess is that it's going to be a drawing problem.

I'll slap that setup together in a VM and see if I can duplicate it. Not sure I'll be much help, but it's worth a shot.

Good luck!

Post #3 Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:42 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 127
Was liked: 123
GD Posts: 292
KGS: RedBeard
DGS: Akahige
I am using the same version of Debian, but with XFCE4. I was never able to get Cgoban3 to launch with openjdk7. I finally installed Oracle Java v6, but did not set it as the default with update-alternatives. I created a launcher for Cgoban3 to call Oracle directly so that Cgoban3 runs with the compatible Java version but the rest of my system uses openjdk.

Post #4 Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:10 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 10
Was liked: 128
Redbeard wrote:
I am using the same version of Debian, but with XFCE4. I was never able to get Cgoban3 to launch with openjdk7.

I'm using Debian testing 64bit (all java versions are also 64bit) with xfce4 and can run cgoban3 just fine with both openjdk6 and openjdk7.

I strongly suspect it's a window manager problem, though trying out different java versions can't hurt I suppose..

edit: lol, just checked out dwm homepage:
Quote:
dwm is only a single binary, and its source code is intended to never exceed 2000 SLOC.

Quote:
Because dwm is customized through editing its source code, it’s pointless to make binary packages of it. This keeps its userbase small and elitist. No novices asking stupid questions.

Hillarious. Seems like a diy window manager. I guess you already googled "dwm java" and tried everything that poppep up as a result? (In particular there's a promising looking arch wiki entry you might want to look into.)

Post #5 Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:11 am 
Lives in sente

Was liked: 180
leichtloeslich wrote:
Quote:
dwm is only a single binary, and its source code is intended to never exceed 2000 SLOC.

Quote:
Because dwm is customized through editing its source code, it’s pointless to make binary packages of it. This keeps its userbase small and elitist. No novices asking stupid questions.

Hillarious. Seems like a diy window manager. I guess you already googled "dwm java" and tried everything that poppep up as a result? (In particular there's a promising looking arch wiki entry you might want to look into.)

Indicates inexperience designing software, not knowing how to take stuff like that out of the the source code. Customizing should never require recompiling! If the program uses a large number of "constants" (changing these values is the customization) can be data read in each first time the program runs.

Post #6 Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:24 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 21
Was liked: 9
Tygem: cmhobbs
IGS: cmhobbs
DGS: cmhobbs
Universal go server handle: cmhobbs
Online playing schedule: OGS for most any time, IGS occassionally after 2130 CST or on weekends, KGS if necessary.
Mike Novack wrote:
leichtloeslich wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Indicates inexperience designing software, not knowing how to take stuff like that out of the the source code. Customizing should never require recompiling! If the program uses a large number of "constants" (changing these values is the customization) can be data read in each first time the program runs.

Without getting too off topic, "it's a feature", not a lack of experience. See http://suckless.org for their propaganda. Disclaimer: I'm a heavy dvtm user.

Post #7 Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:33 am 
Beginner

Was liked: 0
Universal go server handle: nabya
Well, I couldn't really find a fix but a workaround is just starting cgoban3 in tiling mode, then the windows are (almost) maximized. Works well enough for me.