All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Anchors
Post #21 Posted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:20 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
Yeah, that's one of the major tradeoffs rating systems have to deal with. Transparency is great, and is the most important thing for some people, but all the transparent systems we know about lose some accuracy.

Post #22 Posted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:34 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
hyperpape wrote:
Yeah, that's one of the major tradeoffs rating systems have to deal with. Transparency is great, and is the most important thing for some people, but all the transparent systems we know about lose some accuracy.

For some definitions of accurate :-)

Post #23 Posted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:49 am 
Oza

Liked others: 157
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: skydyr
Online playing schedule: When my wife is out.
Kirby wrote:
hyperpape wrote:

The real question is 'what is accuracy and how does that compare to the goals of the rating system?'

Post #24 Posted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:56 am 
Honinbo

skydyr wrote:

The real question is 'what is accuracy and how does that compare to the goals of the rating system?'

Sure. From a personal perspective, the goals that I have for a rating system to have is for games against players of the same rank to be enjoyable. But what is enjoyable can also vary from person to person, so even if someone shares this goal, they might have different rating system preferences.

Post #25 Posted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:25 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
SmoothOper wrote:
Something has to be said for the transparency of a point based rating system, though it sounds like the anchoring is a step in the right direction. When I log into IGS, there are X number of people of above me and if I win Y more than I lose, then I go up a rank(or lose Z more than I win, I go down a rank).

IGS requires a bit of honesty to make it work. If everybody joined stating they were a high dan, it would be broken compared to other ranking systems fairly quickly.

Post #26 Posted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:19 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 201
Was liked: 333
GD Posts: 428
skydyr wrote:
Kirby wrote:
hyperpape wrote:

Generally for a rating system, accuracy is the ability to correctly predict the outcome of a game between two players. To that end KGS does very well, especially compared to most other systems.

As far as the goals of a rating system, accuracy is a primary goal of KGS's and not necessarily that important to some others.

Post #27 Posted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:48 pm 
Honinbo

Mef wrote:
Generally for a rating system, accuracy is the ability to correctly predict the outcome of a game between two players. To that end KGS does very well, especially compared to most other systems.

KGS does well, assuming that someone has an unchanging rank. If someone is 5k, and they're going to be 5k forever, then the maximum likelihood approach correctly uses history to estimate a rank. If someone is improving, KGS does not do so well compared to some of the other online systems, because past history makes it such that playing a lot of games makes it harder to adjust your rank, even if you have genuinely improved.

While it's true that KGS can do well with players that are not improving (or declining in skill), it is misleading to say that it universally does a good job of correctly predicting game outcome, when other systems that are not weighted so heavily by the history of past games do better in some circumstances.

Case in point: If KGS were accurate, people would not be inclined to create new accounts just to get a correct rank. We see this happen on a regular basis.

Post #28 Posted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:00 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 6
Was liked: 12
KGS: UnclMartin
When the drop in ratings was reported, the super admins checked the anchors and found one of them had stopped playing. The anchors have been adjusted, effective December 26.

Post #29 Posted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:37 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
UnclMartin wrote:
When the drop in ratings was reported, the super admins checked the anchors and found one of them had stopped playing. The anchors have been adjusted, effective December 26.

Why wasn't the adjustment done so that drop in ratings got corrected? Just askin...

Post #30 Posted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:23 am 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
daal wrote:
UnclMartin wrote:

Why wasn't the adjustment done so that drop in ratings got corrected? Just askin...

Why bother? Ratings are relative anyway. The same handicaps will be generated. No need to go to a lot of extra work.

Post #31 Posted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:23 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
DrStraw wrote:
Why bother? Ratings are relative anyway. The same handicaps will be generated. No need to go to a lot of extra work.

DrStraw's signature wrote:
Still officially AGA 5d but I play so irregularly these days that I am probably only 3d or 4d over the board (but hopefully still 5d in terms of knowledge, theory and the ability to contribute).
:scratch:

Post #32 Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:15 am 
Lives in gote

Was liked: 31
KGS: 2d
UnclMartin wrote:

Who was that anchor (nickname)?

Post #33 Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:23 am 
Dies in gote

daal wrote:
UnclMartin wrote:

I do not know. Maybe there is a problem with another anchor? Maybe one of you should send some specific examples via email to the admins.

Post #34 Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:25 am 
Dies in gote

Pippen wrote:
UnclMartin wrote:

I do not know, since managing anchors is a super-admin function. Even if I did know, I would not be allowed to say.

Post #35 Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:47 am 
Dies in gote

Shawn Ligocki wrote:
Counter-example: I did not play any KGS games in November, but my rank magically jumped from 13k to 8k! :o Of course, then I played a few games and quickly dropped back to 10k :oops: But there was definitely some sort of odd drift there, maybe that was anchoring? Our just the players I beat getting better?

http://www.gokgs.com/graphPage.jsp?user=sligocki
http://www.gokgs.com/gameArchives.jsp?u ... 3&month=10
http://www.gokgs.com/gameArchives.jsp?u ... 3&month=12

Not all issues with ranks are related to anchors.

The rank system keeps track of a degree of certainty about your rank. You had a new account with few ranked games in October, so the degree of certainty might have been low. When you did not play in November, your rank may have drifted up due to an issue in the rank system: When the degree of certainty is low, often because one stops playing ranked games, a bug causes the rank to drift toward 2 dan.

Post #36 Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:07 am 
Oza

Liked others: 157
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: skydyr
Online playing schedule: When my wife is out.
UnclMartin wrote:
The rank system keeps track of a degree of certainty about your rank. You had a new account with few ranked games in October, so the degree of certainty might have been low. When you did not play in November, your rank may have drifted up due to an issue in the rank system: When the degree of certainty is low, often because one stops playing ranked games, a bug causes the rank to drift toward 2 dan.

Why 2 dan?

Post #37 Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:39 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 82
Was liked: 65
skydyr wrote:
UnclMartin wrote:

Why 2 dan?

Good question....

Post #38 Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:43 pm 
Lives in gote

Was liked: 31
KGS: 2d
UnclMartin wrote:
Pippen wrote:
UnclMartin wrote:

I do not know, since managing anchors is a super-admin function. Even if I did know, I would not be allowed to say.

I am "rs220675" at KGS and I stopped (completely) playing on 11/30/2013. Would just be "cool" if I caused all the tempral rank mess :P.