It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Does KGS rank system encourage users to make new account
Post #21 Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:00 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 662
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: Boidhre
Mef wrote:
You are correct with one caveat. This is all true, in the absence of new information being available to the system. If both you and your old opponent have continued playing games (against each other, or against other people) in those two intervening months, that single game will only carry about 1/4 of the weight of a new game being played. This is actually a major strength in KGS's algorithm that allows it to provide reasonable ratings with limited data. On other servers you may need to play 20 games before you can have a solid rank. On KGS it is usually accomplished with 2-4 games. There was a study done using KGS data that compared time-dependent algorithms to incremental algorithms (Elo, Glicko, etc) and the former were found to have superior predictive capability.

Have you got a link to that study? I'd be extremely curious about the caveats attached to that statement (I imagine there are playing thresholds below which the KGS algorithm stops producing sensible predictions and these can cluster if too many people in someone's history as well as themselves start playing irregularly and their ranks become unstable?).

Post #22 Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:08 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 201
Was liked: 333
GD Posts: 428
Kirby wrote:
I simply argue that other systems, such as Tygems, are more volitile.

Well this is certainly true, but that's largely because KGS aims for accuracy over volatility. Admittedly, for many people accuracy in a rank isn't necessarily a priority. It's also true that for some people having ranks introduce an element of randomness may make things more enjoyable. This is one of the reasons why games like poker and backgammon can be so appealing -- even though there is strategy and potentially large skill disparities, the randomness keeps the outcome unknown.

In fact for this same reason I wouldn't be surprised if the poor predictive power of Tygem's system were intentional. Tygem does have a betting feature, and there is a well known history of gambling being associated with baduk in Korea. From a gambler's perspective the worst thing in the world you can have is a public, perfectly accurate rating system, as this allows any bloke off the street to know the outcome in advance.

To summarize -- Do some people find Tygem's ranking system fun? Sure. Does Tygem's ranking system work for people who just want to play? Sure. Does Tygem's system provide significant predictive power in guessing game outcomes? No.

In that vein, I consider it to be a poor metric for measuring improvement for people who use ranks to do that sort of thing. If you just want to play games and have fun? Go to town, I'll be the last one to stop you!

This post by Mef was liked by: palapiku

Post #23 Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:16 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 7
Was liked: 42
GD Posts: 100
I remember I got stuck at about ~6k for a while. I think I just got caught in a 6k mindset. I was playing maybe 6-7 games a day. I started playing over the board games and maybe played on KGS 1 or 2 times per week. The over the board games were against stronger people and it wasn't so much a gradual improvement, but more of a realization of what it takes at a higher level by experience it myself instead of being lazy and playing the same responses all the time. I think over two months I went up to 5k, finally played some F games even with a 2k and won them all so recreated and got re-established at 2k.

Its the culture of KGS combined with the ranking system. Nobody ever plays outside of their rank really, so weak people never get nice games with strong people. Its very selfish honestly.

This post by badukJr was liked by: skydyr

Post #24 Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:17 pm 
Lives in sente

Boidhre wrote:
Mef wrote:
You are correct with one caveat. This is all true, in the absence of new information being available to the system. If both you and your old opponent have continued playing games (against each other, or against other people) in those two intervening months, that single game will only carry about 1/4 of the weight of a new game being played. This is actually a major strength in KGS's algorithm that allows it to provide reasonable ratings with limited data. On other servers you may need to play 20 games before you can have a solid rank. On KGS it is usually accomplished with 2-4 games. There was a study done using KGS data that compared time-dependent algorithms to incremental algorithms (Elo, Glicko, etc) and the former were found to have superior predictive capability.

Have you got a link to that study? I'd be extremely curious about the caveats attached to that statement (I imagine there are playing thresholds below which the KGS algorithm stops producing sensible predictions and these can cluster if too many people in someone's history as well as themselves start playing irregularly and their ranks become unstable?).

Whole-History Rating: A Bayesian Rating System for Players of Time-Varying Strength

Description of comparison:

The method to compare algorithms consisted in measuring their prediction
rates over a database of games. The prediction rate is the proportion of games
whose most likely winner was predicted correctly (when two players have the
same rating, this counts as 0.5 correct prediction). Parameters of the algorithm
were first tuned to optimize prediction rate over a training database, then pre-
diction rate was measured on a different test database.
The training set was made of the 726,648 rated even games with komi 6.5
played on KGS between 2000-11-07 and 2005-05-20. The test set consisted of
the 2,331,757 rated even games with komi 6.5 played between 2005-05-21 and
2007-10-01. The time resolution of the database is one day, so if a player played
several games in one day, they were considered as simultaneous

Table of results:

Code:
Algorithm        Time   Training   Test     Optimal parameters
Elo              0.41 s  56.001%   55.121%  k = 20
Glicko           0.73 s  56.184%   55.522%  σ_0 = 150, Elo, w^2= 20 Elo^2/day
TrueSkill        0.40 s  56.212%   55.536%  β^2 = 1, σ20 = 0.5, w^2 = 0.000975/game
Bayeselo         88.66 s 56.216%   55.671%  prior = 1
Decayed history  89.86 s 56.260%   55.698%  prior = 1, τ= 400 days
WHR              252.00s 56.356%   55.793%  prior = 1.2, w^2 = 14 Elo^2/day

This post by Mef was liked by: Boidhre

Post #25 Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:22 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
Mef wrote:
Kirby wrote:
On KGS, I *am* afraid to play ranked games. That's because, if I screw up, it will be harder in the future to achieve the same rank. If I have a bad day and lose 10 games, then even if I have a good day tomorrow, it takes longer to get my rank back up.

Except that this is not true. As long as you are playing games at a consistent rate, you will see no difference in how your rank moves.

Wrong. It *does* take a longer time to get rank back up than with Tygem.

If you like thought experiments, try this one:

Let's say that two casual, non-studying players, Bob and Sally, are the same strength in real life.
Bob has converged to 3d on Tygem after playing 1000 games a day, every day.
Sally has converged to 1d on KGS after playing 1000 games a day, every day.

Now let's say that Bob and Sally both go to Go Congress for a week, and get fired up about studying go. They do lots of go problems, review pro games, and work hard to increase their strength. Let's say, as a result, that they both are one stone stronger in strength after this study. After coming back from Go Congress, let's say that Bob is 4d in Tygem strength and Sally is 2d in KGS strength.

Who needs to play more games to make their rank match their strength?

Mef wrote:

This is also not true. Tygem's system promotes Brownian motion more than it promotes convergence. ...

Logical fallacy: Strawman argument.
Your example does not address the point I was making. Let's go back to what I said:
Kirby wrote:
The rank still converges on Tygem, too, for these players, but allows more volitility for those that are interested in challenging themselves the most.

My statement is about volatility of Tygem's ranks. Your statement is about the ability that Tygem gives for users to set their own initial rank. Personally, I would also prefer if Tygem did not provide this functionality, and determined rank on its own.

But this has nothing to do with how volitile Tygem's ranking system is.

Mef wrote:
What's more -- this type of example could be used to keep any arbitrarily strong or arbitrarily weak group at any arbitrary rank. You could quite literally maintain a set of random playing bots at 5d.

I don't believe this is true. As I understand, you can only set initial rank up to 3d. Do you want to talk about rank setting? KGS provides the ability for users to set their initial rank as high as 1k when using automatch. Granted, this is not as direct as Tygem's methodology, but the rank setting Tygem allows is not what I'm most a fan of. I'm a fan of volitility, which allows you to move up in rank, even if you've played a lot of games.

Compared to Tygem, based on the "thought experiment" above, people are punished for playing more games on KGS more than they are on Tygem.

Post #26 Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:26 pm 
Honinbo

Mef wrote:
Does Tygem's system provide significant predictive power in guessing game outcomes? No.

Your statement is accurate for some cases, but not for others. For example, in the thought experiment I provided in the last post, Tygem is a more accurate indicator of the game outcome than KGS, because it will identify the growth in strength faster than KGS does.

Post #27 Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:27 pm 
Honinbo

yoyoma wrote:
KGS has succeeded in getting you to treat every single rated game as seriously as possible. :lol:

Agreed on this point. Although, before using Tygem much, it also succeeded in having me not play many rated games.

Post #28 Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:39 pm 
Lives in sente

Kirby wrote:
My statement is about volatility of Tygem's ranks. Your statement is about the ability that Tygem gives for users to set their own initial rank. Personally, I would also prefer if Tygem did not provide this functionality, and determined rank on its own.

I don't believe this is true. As I understand, you can only set initial rank up to 3d. Do you want to talk about rank setting? KGS provides the ability for users to set their initial rank as high as 1k when using automatch. Granted, this is not as direct as Tygem's methodology, but the rank setting Tygem allows is not what I'm most a fan of. I'm a fan of volitility, which allows you to move up in rank, even if you've played a lot of games.

Compared to Tygem, based on the "thought experiment" above, people are punished for playing more games on KGS more than they are on Tygem.

My statement was not in reference to the fact that you can set your own rank. My statement was in reference to the fact that Tygem ranks do not necessarily converge even assuming that all players maintain consistent skill levels and play all games honestly. Being able to set your own rank should not be an issue for a rating system, as it should move you to the correct rank over time. Tygem does necessarily not do this. If you maintain a win rate of 33% on Tygem, you do not demote. It is quite easy to have a minority group that indefinitely self sustains a rank in spite of having both a significant number of games played with the greater group and no misconduct during any games. This effect would never be observed on KGS/IGS/DGS/OGS/etc.

On KGS you cannot set your rank to anything, your rank is always determined by the maximum likelihood of your future game results based upon your past performance.

Post #29 Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:45 pm 
Honinbo

Mef wrote:
Tygem does necessarily not do this. If you maintain a win rate of 33% on Tygem, you do not demote.

If you are able to win against a 5d for 33% of your games after 10,000 games, your strength must be close to 5d. It would be highly unlikely for a kyu player to be able to achieve this.

In any case, this is unrelated to the point I am getting at - Tygem predicts changes in strength more easily than KGS does when users have played many games. A direct example of this can be seen in the "thought experiment" I provided.

Post #30 Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:46 pm 
Lives in sente

Kirby wrote:
Let's say that two casual, non-studying players, Bob and Sally, are the same strength in real life.
Bob has converged to 3d on Tygem after playing 1000 games a day, every day.
Sally has converged to 1d on KGS after playing 1000 games a day, every day.

As an aside -- If we actually performed this thought experiment, Bob's rank would never be stable. You would expect his rank to jump +-2 stones everyday simply from random noise.

Post #31 Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:49 pm 
Honinbo

Mef wrote:

As an aside -- If we actually performed this thought experiment, Bob's rank would never be stable. You would expect his rank to jump +-2 stones everyday simply from random noise.

Why would you expect this? Bob could very well have a stable rank after having gone to go congress.

Post #32 Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:51 pm 
Lives in sente

Kirby wrote:
Mef wrote:
Tygem does necessarily not do this. If you maintain a win rate of 33% on Tygem, you do not demote.

If you are able to win against a 5d for 33% of your games after 10,000 games, your strength must be close to 5d. It would be highly unlikely for a kyu player to be able to achieve this.

In any case, this is unrelated to the point I am getting at - Tygem predicts changes in strength more easily than KGS does when users have played many games. A direct example of this can be seen in the "thought experiment" I provided.

Since it would seem you did not read it, I shall rewrite the thought experiment:

Imagine you have a group of 11 friends who are all 10k, and they decide they want to improve so they all sign up as 1d on Tygem. In order to track their progress against themselves, every week they each play everyone else in the group once, then play 5 games against other people of the same rank. If they always win against each other 50% of the time, and lose against everyone else they play, then they will all maintain 33% win rates and they will never demote. Note: this is with no malicious intent by any player as well as every player always trying their best to win every game.

And regardless of thought experiments, as the actual study using 2.3 million KGS games as data showed: KGS predicts game results with higher accuracy than less sophisticated systems.

Post #33 Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:56 pm 
Lives in sente

Kirby wrote:
Mef wrote:

Why would you expect this? Bob could very well have a stable rank after having gone to go congress.

Playing 1000 games/day that are properly rated is equivalent to flipping 1000 coins in a row. Random variations will allow for streaks like winning 12/15 quite readily when you are playing that many games. You will even expect an 8 game winning streak once every 500 games.

Post #34 Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:56 pm 
Honinbo

Mef wrote:

Since it would seem you did not read it, I shall rewrite the thought experiment:

Yep, I read it again. And it still relys upon Tygem's flaw in allowing the initial setting of ranks. If initial ranks are accurate to begin with, 33% win rate against a 5d is close to 5d.

Mef wrote:

And regardless of thought experiments, as the actual study using 2.3 million KGS games as data showed: KGS predicts game results with higher accuracy than less sophisticated systems.

Yes, someone wrote a paper on this, and he liked KGS's system. This is within the bounds of his definition of accuracy.

And I'll say it again, in case you are not reading what I've written: In the example I provided, KGS does worse job of determining difference in Bob's strength.

Post #35 Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:58 pm 
Lives in sente

Kirby wrote:
Yep, I read it again. And it still relys upon Tygem's flaw in allowing the initial setting of ranks. If initial ranks are accurate to begin with, 33% win rate against a 5d is close to 5d.

No, the problem is that the rating system does not converge. If your rating system requires you to have perfect knowledge of your own rating prior to joining then why do you have a rating system in the first place?

Post #36 Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:58 pm 
Honinbo

Mef wrote:

Playing 1000 games/day that are properly rated is equivalent to flipping 1000 coins in a row.

Nope, not in this case. Here, Bob has > 50% chance of winning against even opponent since he has increased in strength.

Post #37 Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:00 pm 
Lives in sente

Kirby wrote:
Mef wrote:

Playing 1000 games/day that are properly rated is equivalent to flipping 1000 coins in a row.

Nope, not in this case. Here, Bob has > 50% chance of winning against even opponent since he has increased in strength.

I am talking about the case prior to the go congress. If Bob is playing 1000 games/ day, he will never hold a rank for more than a few hours simply from random variation. Saying that Bob "converged" to 3d prior to the congress is meaningless because he would be oscillating around it.

Post #38 Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:01 pm 
Honinbo

Mef wrote:
No, the problem is that the rating system does not converge.

Given the numbers of users on Tygem, for people that use automatch, ranks should come close to converging. The case you mentioned is for people that deliberately provided a bad initial rank.

Mef wrote:
If your rating system requires you to have perfect knowledge of your own rating prior to joining then why do you have a rating system in the first place?

Agreed, I don't care for this aspect of Tygem's system.

Post #39 Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:02 pm 
Honinbo

Mef wrote:
I am talking about the case prior to the go congress. If Bob is playing 1000 games/ day, he will never hold a rank for more than a few hours simply from random variation. Saying that Bob "converged" to 3d prior to the congress is meaningless because he would be oscillating around it.

Sure, I agree with this. Though, it's still easier for him to get a game matching to his strength than it is for Sally.

Post #40 Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:05 pm 
Lives in sente

Kirby wrote:
Mef wrote:

Sure, I agree with this. Though, it's still easier for him to get a game matching to his strength than it is for Sally.

Sally's games would be handicapped off by a stone for 10 days. Whereas Bob will have a significant number of his games with the wrong handicap on any given day.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next