It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Unfair result of adjudication
Post #1 Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:49 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 1
KGS: toadwarble
Whilst accepting it was partly my fault, a game I played wouldn't score properly because the boundary between two groups wasn't closed.

I asked for this to be adjudicated.

On the board I was about 6 points ahead.

They have now adjudicated the game, not only have they said I resigned, but they've put back my ranking TWO LEVELS.

Is this fair - and is there any way I can appeal the result?

Post subject: Re: Unfair result of adjudication
Post #2 Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:11 am 
Judan

Was liked: 786
Supposing you were not angry during arbitration or something like this, adjusting the rank seems totally inappropriate. If you have not closed your territory, then presumably you are NOT ahead and deserve to lose the game. The normal way would be to score the game as is, but the default resignation might have been necessary due to unknown technical reasons.

Post #3 Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:08 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 13
Was liked: 56
In general it's better to close off everything a little too carefully. Automated systems aren't 100% perfect for some reason.

That said, the demotion seems weird without additional reasons. Not just wrong, but positively odd.

Did you really only dispute that one game's result?

Post #4 Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:50 am 
Beginner

I know I should have made sure that it was closed off, my opponent passwd and without checking I passed.

The client wouldn't let me "undo" the pass like KGS does and let me close off one spot towards the middle of the board.

When the client wouldn't let either player fix anything I clicked the report "I can't score this game".

They took several days and in the meantime I was about to be promoted but today I see they've not only decided I lost, but that I resigned and they have demoted me two whole ranks.

They wrongly adjudicated a game two months ago but apart from that that is the only game, they must have "fined" mee at least 1000 points.

Is there any address I can write to appeal this?

Post #5 Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:57 am 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
toadwarble wrote:
Whilst accepting it was partly my fault, a game I played wouldn't score properly because the boundary between two groups wasn't closed.

They have now adjudicated the game, not only have they said I resigned, but they've put back my ranking TWO LEVELS.

You don't say where the game was played. Was it online or a real-life tournment. You don't say who "they" are. You talk about ranking so I assume it was real-life. If boundaries were not complete then that applies to both players, so presumably your opponent was also said to have resigned.

Too many problems with this post to warrant an answer.

Post #6 Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:04 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 577
Was liked: 298
KGS: RBerenguel
Tygem: rberenguel
Wbaduk: JohnKeats
Kaya handle: RBerenguel
Online playing schedule: KGS on Saturday I use to be online, but I can be if needed from 20-23 GMT+1
DrStraw wrote:
toadwarble wrote:

You don't say where the game was played. Was it online or a real-life tournment. You don't say who "they" are. You talk about ranking so I assume it was real-life. If boundaries were not complete then that applies to both players, so presumably your opponent was also said to have resigned.

This post is *in* the IGS board. I think it's pretty clear.

Post #7 Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:13 am 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
RBerenguel wrote:
DrStraw wrote:
toadwarble wrote:

This post is *in* the IGS board. I think it's pretty clear.

Ah, my mistake. I never look at the forum a post is in. I tend to forget they even exist as I always access posts through the View Unread Posts button.

This post by DrStraw was liked by: RBerenguel

Post #8 Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:17 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
toadwarble wrote:
They took several days and in the meantime I was about to be promoted but today I see they've not only decided I lost, but that I resigned and they have demoted me two whole ranks.

They wrongly adjudicated a game two months ago but apart from that that is the only game, they must have "fined" mee at least 1000 points.

maybe you're right and they're wrong. maybe the other way around. either way, its only one game -- one small bump in the road of life. let it go and move on. your rating will re-adjust quickly enough with more games.

This post by xed_over was liked by: Bantari

Post #9 Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:23 am 
Beginner

Probably so but it's really annoying that after working my way up the ratings over several days I've been put back two.

The winning streak I'm having sandbagging my way up again is only a small consolation.

This post by toadwarble was liked by: xed_over

Post #10 Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:56 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 13
Was liked: 56
http://pandanet-igs.com/communities/pandanet/53 contains a link to a contact form, but I have no idea what kind of effect (if any) that will have.

You might just annoy them a little extra, and the best you can hope for is "Oh well, sorry." by the time you get your rank back up without any help.

It's a lot easier to just let it go.

Post #11 Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:17 am 
Beginner

Thanks I've tried that form, meanwhile I've climbed back one of the ranks I was put back.

Memo to self: don't use the adjudicate thing again it's mega-crap.

I only wanted to get my IGS rank something approximating to my KGS one I much prefer the KGS setup.