It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pandanet — How to review a game that just ended?
Post #1 Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:33 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
A new question about the GoPanda client.

Last time, just after a game ended, I was offered to enter a review controlled by my opponent. That was a very cool feature, that reminded me of KGS. However I do not find the option to do that myself. Can anywone help here ?

Just to be clear : I know how to open an archived game to review it afterwards by myself. But I don't find any button to start a review together with the opponent in a freshly finished game.

May that be a mobile app feature?

Post subject: Re: Pandanet — How to review a game that just ended?
Post #2 Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:41 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 22
Was liked: 168
IGS: kvasir
S0nge wrote:
Last time, just after a game ended, I was offered to enter a review controlled by my opponent. That was a very cool feature, that reminded me of KGS. However I do not find the option to do that myself. Can anywone help here ?

It is unusual to see reviews like that in the game list. The atmosphere is to just play games with minimal talking and there is also the issue of different languages.

There are many clients for Pandanet but you are supposed to be able to do what you described in GoPanda2. First you go to the home screen, then press the "Start Review" button, then select "Last Game" under "type", then press "OK" and voila! Now you would only need to invite your opponent to the review. The opponent is unlikely to be able to join the review if his client doesn't support the feature.

I wouldn't be surprised if many players simply declined the invitation to a review. After the game reviews for over the board games are usually brief and there is some sensitivity involved when judging if a review is wanted. I recall on KGS there was always a problem of unwanted reviews, some players would open a review automatically and start showing some half random moves and move around the game at incredible speed for a few minutes before just typing "what do you think?". "What just happened?" would be a good reply :) Same thing has happened to me on some Korean servers, I imagine something of this sort is the most common kind of online review.

Post #3 Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:25 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 134
Was liked: 23
I don't think I've ever been asked or offered a review by my opponent on IGS in several years of playing. It doesn't seem to be part of the culture.

I think the fact that GoPanda2 now has an “Analyze with AI” button that appears after the game ends, which takes you straight to AI Sensei, makes it perhaps even more unlikely?

Post #4 Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:41 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
Kvasir wrote:
There are many clients for Pandanet but you are supposed to be able to do what you described in GoPanda2. First you go to the home screen, then press the "Start Review" button, then select "Last Game" under "type", then press "OK" and voila!

Oooh, I never noticed this "Last game" option! Thanks again, Kvasir!

To both of you : for sure reviews don't seem to be part of the culture in IGS. That's why I was very surprised when my opponent proposed it to me, and what happened next fits well with what Kvasir described in his post. Not a memorable moment in itself :)

From time to time however I've had some opponents with whom I could talk a little about the game at the end ; in such cases I would be happy to open a common review.

For sure, the "AIsensei" option, while useful, does not help here...