Post #1 Posted: Mon May 28, 2012 11:31 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 4
Was liked: 7
KGS: Mogosoup
IGS: Mogosoup
DGS: Nontoxic
OGS: Nontoxic
What does the setting for Japanese Ranking do? I switched it on but nothing changed or happened. I am using the Panda Tetsuki app for ipad, I'm not sure if it's on the desktop version.

Don't close your eyes or the stones die.

In Go it's not how thick it is, it's what you do with it!

My Kgs Rank Graph

Post subject: Re: Japanese Ranking Setting
Post #2 Posted: Mon May 28, 2012 1:32 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
"Japanese" ranking probably refers to the fact that Japanese clients show up as higher ranks than English clients. It was funny the first time I saw it.

Post #3 Posted: Mon May 28, 2012 9:45 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 93
Was liked: 105
GD Posts: 600
Are you saying that on IGS two different rating systems coexist? I've never heard of that, and also SL doesn't say anything on that. Do you have some more information?

Post #4 Posted: Mon May 28, 2012 10:00 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
karaklis wrote:
Are you saying that on IGS two different rating systems coexist? I've never heard of that, and also SL doesn't say anything on that. Do you have some more information?

No real information other than experience. It's just that if you use the Japanese client it ups the ratings of all the people you see. Then if you do stats <username> it shows the rank you would see on the English client.

Post #5 Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:38 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
oren wrote:
karaklis wrote:

No real information other than experience. It's just that if you use the Japanese client it ups the ratings of all the people you see. Then if you do stats <username> it shows the rank you would see on the English client.

that's just silly, but it makes sense I suppose. In my limited experience, Japanese amateur players are severely overranked.

Once I was invited to a game at a Go Congress by a 1d lady from Japan -- I was only 9k at the time. But she wouldn't give me more than 4 stones. While the score was close, I really didn't have any trouble beating her.

Post #6 Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:02 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
KGS: hojoin
OGS: sojiro
bakekoq
Online playing schedule: wah,almost everyday in OGS right now.I still can't play in KGS because the limitness of my network.
xed_over wrote:
oren wrote:
karaklis wrote:

that's just silly, but it makes sense I suppose. In my limited experience, Japanese amateur players are severely overranked.

Once I was invited to a game at a Go Congress by a 1d lady from Japan -- I was only 9k at the time. But she wouldn't give me more than 4 stones. While the score was close, I really didn't have any trouble beating her.

I play with a korean pro player 6p also only given 5 stones handicap. U do know why do they give such a little handicap for us even though the rank is far beyond of our rank, right?

Post #7 Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:23 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 738
Was liked: 239
KGS: illluck
Tygem: Trickprey
OGS: illluck
bakekoq wrote:
I play with a korean pro player 6p also only given 5 stones handicap. U do know why do they give such a little handicap for us even though the rank is far beyond of our rank, right?

Not to take away from your point, but note that xed_over mentioned that he had no trouble beating his opponent.