It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: GoPanda 2 browser client
Post #81 Posted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:19 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 318
Was liked: 345
ahamay wrote:
The bug report bug has been fixed :mrgreen: So go ahead, report everything new you find with that tool - that will reach us much sooner than this forum does :roll:

Has a faulty bug report feature for SIX MONTHS then rolls eyes about somebody reporting it on this forum. Go figure.

Post #82 Posted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:46 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 11
GD Posts: 14
I was rolling eyes about me not having visited the forum for months, not about people reporting here...

This post by ahamay was liked by: Bonobo

Post #83 Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:46 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 318
Was liked: 345
ahamay wrote:
I was rolling eyes about me not having visited the forum for months, not about people reporting here...

Fair enough. Sorry for misunderstanding your intent. Good luck with IGS in 2014. I learned to play go there, more than a few years ago.

Post #84 Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:11 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 93
Was liked: 105
GD Posts: 600
ahamay wrote:

Hey Benni, you can do something about it. We'd like to have you here more often anyway :mrgreen:

This post by karaklis was liked by: Bonobo

Post #85 Posted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:58 pm 
Lives with ko

Was liked: 21
KGS: Rowen
Tygem: Kotaru
IGS: Rowen
I love the way the client looks. It's nice to look at. While KGS is simple and functional I think it would benefit form an ascetical upgrade as well.

On that note the only think I can think of that would make IGS 'better' is better menu navigation/information....after years of MMO's and computer programs it just feels clunky in that respect.

Post #86 Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:13 am 
Dies in gote

wineandgolover wrote:
Fair enough. Sorry for misunderstanding your intent. Good luck with IGS in 2014. I learned to play go there, more than a few years ago.

Thanks, I guess I should've been more clear in the first place. I have high hopes for IGS this year, but we'll see :cool:

Post #87 Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:15 am 
Dies in gote

Rowen wrote:
I love the way the client looks. It's nice to look at. While KGS is simple and functional I think it would benefit form an ascetical upgrade as well.

On that note the only think I can think of that would make IGS 'better' is better menu navigation/information....after years of MMO's and computer programs it just feels clunky in that respect.

Thanks :razz: Could you elaborate more on how the menu could be improved? My MMO experience is pretty much non-existing :mrgreen:

Post #88 Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:45 am 
Lives with ko

I will respond shortly with examples. I want to explain it all correctly.

Post #89 Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:20 am 
Lives with ko

Okay, here it goes:

1.Rooms Tab: Right now clicking on a game in progress (left or right click) makes a pop-up appear to ‘observe’ the clicked game. Most menus’ I’ve navigated allow you to left click on the game, this highlights the game and would allow the user to click ‘observe’ in the menu at the very top of the application. Furthermore right clicking would highlight the game and initiate the popup to select ‘observe’, or just make the popup appear of already highlighted.

Left clicking on a name would just highlight be player in question but do nothing. Right clicking would bring up the menu.

Perhaps splitting the game menu in half could be beneficial. The top half could be games in progress, allowing users easy access to observe a game. The bottom half could be for created games awaiting players.

I know there is a ‘challenge’ feature in place, this would just be in addition to that feature.

2.Play Tab: I’ve not seen it active. This tab should always be active. When a player clicks on it, it can work one of two ways: First is bring up a menu to set up a game for others to join. Second would be to open a new page with the same set up options. (Each works well, but I’m not sure which would be easier).

3.More options to manage your account via the client. Clicking on my own name shows the same info I see on everyone else. I should be able to change my starting rank, reset my password, change my email address. More integration would be amazing for making this even better.

4.Review tab –
This should also be active so I can review games I have played. Again, I’m not sure when this tab is active but it would be very handy to click that tab, choose a previous game I’ve played and review it.

5.Also – not menu- related- and I’m not sure if this was on my end but there is a delay when placing the stones. I click where I want it to go and there is a 2-3 second pause before the stone is placed.

If any of this is not clear let me know. I can photoshop some examples with a screen shot of the interface. I hope some of my suggestions help.

EDIT: I see now that the upper tabs highlight when you are actively performing the activity (ie. playing a game, the 'Play' tab is highlighted)

Also, How do I reset my Rank? I'm showing 12k? but I'm only a beginner and getting game requests for games I have no chance in.

Last edited by Rowen on Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Post #90 Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:21 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Hi ahamay, Happy 2014. Questions:

• In gIgo, we could set the default time control to, for example, Canadian 1 minute + (30 minutes for 20 moves), then use this setting for all the match requests. How to do this in the new GUI in GoPanda2 ?
  • In gGo and gIgo, the stone clicks have a very nice, deep, and thick tone. GoPanda2's new stone click sounds like plastic on a very thin board. Could you add a better and thicker stone click (as an option) ?

Thanks.

Post #91 Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:45 pm 
Dies in gote

Rowen wrote:
Also, How do I reset my Rank? I'm showing 12k? but I'm only a beginner and getting game requests for games I have no chance in.

First of all, thanks for your list. Some of these points were our design choices, like the left-click menu to make sure less experienced computer users are able to use it. But some things are just missing (like change rank/pw). I like some ideas, like default behavior for Play and Review buttons when there are no open boards yet. I'll discuss your list with the other developers.

Regarding your question: Currently, you'll need to to it by hand:
- open the Console in the lower left
- type "rank 20k", for example

This post by ahamay was liked by: Bonobo

Post #92 Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:58 pm 
Lives with ko

Glad I could help. I can see where inexperienced computer users could be confused with that.

Got my rank rest, thanks for that! ....I thought the 'console' button was a chat room honestly. Didn't realize you could activate commands within it.

Post #93 Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:34 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 75
Was liked: 58
I currently have upgraded my GoPanda2 client from version 2.0.0 to 2.2.0 on a Debian Wheezy. While the 2.0.0 client worked almost perfectly, the 2.2.0 requires glibc 2.15, which - unless I allow packages from testing - seems not easily available in Debian Wheezy. Is there any easy way to get this client running, or do I need to install glibc-2.15?

Thanks for any feedback!

Post #94 Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:22 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 153
Was liked: 41
Universal go server handle: happysocks
Rowen wrote:
I thought the 'console' button was a chat room honestly. Didn't realize you could activate commands within it.

Same. Until reading this just now. Is there a commands page like the old version had or will there be? Couldn't find anything other then this old page with broken links:
http://www.pandanet.co.jp/English/sintro1.html

Thanks again for creating this amazing server for the go community. :clap:

ps if you ever need someone pass out sandwiches or wash the stones or something I'm your tenderfoot and would only ask the privilege of purchasing one small Pandanet t-shirt as tos.

Post #95 Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:33 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 148
Was liked: 29
KGS: thirdfogie
schawipp wrote:
I currently have upgraded my GoPanda2 client from version 2.0.0 to 2.2.0 on a Debian Wheezy. While the 2.0.0 client worked almost perfectly, the 2.2.0 requires glibc 2.15, which - unless I allow packages from testing - seems not easily available in Debian Wheezy. Is there any easy way to get this client running, or do I need to install glibc-2.15?

I have the same problem under Debian Wheezy, in my case on a new PC. I can't see a way to fool the version check with soft file links, which often works in such cases. I failed to find a copy of GoPanda 2.0.0, so I'll have to use qGo, which is available via synaptic and does work. (I'm not playing at the moment anyway because of illness.)

Edited to clarify a version number.

Post #96 Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:53 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 12
Instead of starting a new thread, I thought I'd plop down here to ask you friendly folks a question :-) After unsuccessfully attempting to log into KGS via CGoban, I gave up and moved onto to trying GoPanda2 to access IGS instead. Unfortunately, after registering at PandaNet and downloading the GoPanda2 client I find the same problem: it appears that the application is "timing out" given that I get a message "connection error" after a few moments. The issue is probably related to the toxic combination of running Windows 8.1 and Norton360, and somehow the Norton Firewall is blocking necessary web-traffic, but I am not a techie, so I am at a loss as how to trouble-shoot this ongoing problem. I would love to be able to play online, I just can't seem to get the darn applications to play nice with my new PC!! Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide!

Post #97 Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:36 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
schwartzseer wrote:
Instead of starting a new thread, I thought I'd plop down here to ask you friendly folks a question :-) After unsuccessfully attempting to log into KGS via CGoban, I gave up and moved onto to trying GoPanda2 to access IGS instead. Unfortunately, after registering at PandaNet and downloading the GoPanda2 client I find the same problem: it appears that the application is "timing out" given that I get a message "connection error" after a few moments. The issue is probably related to the toxic combination of running Windows 8.1 and Norton360, and somehow the Norton Firewall is blocking necessary web-traffic, but I am not a techie, so I am at a loss as how to trouble-shoot this ongoing problem. I would love to be able to play online, I just can't seem to get the darn applications to play nice with my new PC!! Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide!

Seems like the first step is to see if it's your firewall that's causing the problem. What I'd do would be to close my browser, turn off the firewall and then try to connect to the two servers via their respective clients. If that works, then I'd try to figure out how to add the exceptions to the firewall. If it doesn't work, at least you've eliminated one possible cause.