It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Detailed / Advanced IGS rating question
Post #1 Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:22 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
I often start new accounts on IGS - typically when I try a new joseki or fuseki.

Sometimes, if I get off to a good start (4-1 or 7-3) IGS will automatically "promote" me. So I might go from 3d? to 4d?

My question is this - if my provisional rating (e.g. 3d?) gets promoted what's the effect to my eventual Xd* rating if I choose to override IGS and reset back to where I started. For example let's say I start at 3d? - I play 10 games and win 7 3 lose 3. At that point IGS automatically says "4d?". At this point I have a choice (I think):

1 - Stay at 4d? - probably lose a bunch of games - and maybe when I hit 20 rated games get a 2d* (I've seen this double-demotion happen)

or

2 - Manually reset back to 3d and maybe win about 50% - I know that you have to win 12 of 20 to get the * you started with.

Any ideas about how the IGS algorithm works in these cases?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Detailed / Advanced IGS rating question
Post #2 Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:05 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
icehorse wrote:
I often start new accounts on IGS - typically when I try a new joseki or fuseki.

Sometimes, if I get off to a good start (4-1 or 7-3) IGS will automatically "promote" me. So I might go from 3d? to 4d?

My question is this - if my provisional rating (e.g. 3d?) gets promoted what's the effect to my eventual Xd* rating if I choose to override IGS and reset back to where I started. For example let's say I start at 3d? - I play 10 games and win 7 3 lose 3. At that point IGS automatically says "4d?". At this point I have a choice (I think):

1 - Stay at 4d? - probably lose a bunch of games - and maybe when I hit 20 rated games get a 2d* (I've seen this double-demotion happen)

or

2 - Manually reset back to 3d and maybe win about 50% - I know that you have to win 12 of 20 to get the * you started with.

Any ideas about how the IGS algorithm works in these cases?

Thanks

No idea how the algorithm works, but since you regularly create new accounts, I see no reason not to go the first route. It gives you more opportunities to play games with stronger players, and when your rank collapses, you know it's time to try a new fuseki. :)

I also like having a few accounts, and among them is a control account in which I try to play slow, concentrated games without weird experiments. When the ranks are different, it's usually not for long.

Post subject:
Post #3 Posted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:09 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Pandanet IGS Ranking system