It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WBaduk Test Room
Post #1 Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:29 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
Prompted by the thread on GoChild becoming a pay-for site, I've been trying out the WBaduk's test room. It is quite a mixed bag. First of all, I like the problems. There is a wide variety of problems sorted into categories, including haengma and Even in the 19-25k sets, the problems are challenging, sometimes the best move being seki or ko. The interface however is a disaster. It is designed to only work with IE or GoogleChromePlus, but is incredibly buggy with either browser. I regularly encountered: "invalid argument," access violation," and other such errors. When you close the window of one problem set in order to open another, you are greeted with : wrong log-in information, please log in again before continuing. Logging out and in however doesn't always solve the problem. There were plenty more bugs I encountered in these 2 hours of use, but I won't bother listing them.

Aside from this error minefield, there are a number of bothersome design issues. Not in look and feel, but rather conceptual. As far as I can tell, there are two ways to do problems: You can take the total test (no idea how many problems it includes) and eventually categorized results will be shown (which is a concept I like), or you can do problems sorted by level and your results for each level will be shown. You can clear the results of the level tests, but not of the total tests.

When taking the total test you are presented with seemingly random problems some of which are multiple choice and others in which you have to play one or more stones (both of which have enough bugs to clog a flyswatter). Above the answer button, which you click when you've decided, is written: "Short answer, Explanation about the right answer." There are however no explanations. There is also no way to go back to a previous problem and explore it. If you clicked the wrong answer, you won't be shown the right one, which is ok for some people, I guess. You do have the opportunity to re-do the problems you got wrong but ... hm, something itches.

In the section on problems by level, again, there seems to be no way to find a specific problem again - I had a question about problem 406 for example, but since I didn't make a screenshot, I can't ask it.

I must say again that I like the problems, and the idea of timed tests is also nice (you have 30 seconds for each, but the timer doesn't time out). Currently, they are conducting a survey on the site, presumbably to find out which services they can charge westerners for. At the end of the survey, you are asked to type in general comments, but of course you can't. Paying for GoChild is not looking so bad.

Post subject: Re: WBaduk Test Room
Post #2 Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:24 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 54
Was liked: 544
GD Posts: 1292
I just do the problems that are in the Wbaduk server program once you log into the server. I never do it from IE except for the lessons.

Post #3 Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:37 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 577
Was liked: 298
KGS: RBerenguel
Tygem: rberenguel
Wbaduk: JohnKeats
Kaya handle: RBerenguel
Online playing schedule: KGS on Saturday I use to be online, but I can be if needed from 20-23 GMT+1
I use the iOS version, and it works pretty well (being free, that is, I prefer SmartGo Kifu).

Post #4 Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:42 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
tchan001 wrote:
I just do the problems that are in the Wbaduk server program once you log into the server. I never do it from IE except for the lessons.

Ah, ok. That only has L&D problems (along with interesting descriptions like: ¢⅞z¢ę¶#Â+$Þģž˝΄Θểừ⅓x@^). There are many different types of problems (hehe) in the test room of the website.

Post #5 Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:14 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 577
Was liked: 298
KGS: RBerenguel
Tygem: rberenguel
Wbaduk: JohnKeats
Kaya handle: RBerenguel
Online playing schedule: KGS on Saturday I use to be online, but I can be if needed from 20-23 GMT+1
Oh, iOS only has L&D too (maybe some random cutting tesuji, but not more general problems I think)

Post #6 Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:54 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 50
Was liked: 12
KGS: go1986
the test room is the best place to do various kinds of problems online IMO, i get the same errors too but it doesn't bother me at all.

i like to do them by level, the total test is too long for anyone to finish. unless u are trying to become a pro, then u should do all of the problems on the test room even if it takes u all day just for the sake of intense training :study:

the tsumego on the application itself is the greatest by far because u can do problems in between games.

as far as interesting descriptions like: ¢⅞z¢ę¶#Â+$Þģž˝΄Θểừ⅓x@^,

that doesn't bother me either besides the descriptions don't matter
its just life and death so either u make life or make death
then go to the next problem

well thats enough of this, see u around :study:

Post #7 Posted: Wed May 16, 2012 4:20 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
KGS: Nefeste
anyone counted the total amount of tasks after "Start test" yet? )
if i feel bad and close window statistics updates and wrong solved tasks go to bottom section where i can solve them 2nd time?
i didn't find "reset" button for "start test" with this percentages.. finally i want to get 100% of course, but dont want to miss something ) and later probably solve all tasks 2nd time to compare results..