Post subject: Re: Attempt at audio/video reviews
Post #21 Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:41 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 22
GD Posts: 10
KGS: usagi
topazg wrote:
Ok, I'm only KGS 1d or thereabouts, but I've been asked by some people, and thought I'd try my hand at an audio + video review. It's my first one, so expect plenty of umms, aahs, etc, but comments and feedback always appreciated :)

http://www.livestream.com/topazg

Hi. I took a look and the sound is nice. The video, OTOH - if you can turn off your cursor, and use your video editing tool to crop out everything except the goban and game title above it, that would cut out on distractions and reduce the file size a lot.

Second point, if you don't mind me saying so :) your review is good but of course it's informal. If you want to take it to another level from the review end, you would of course want to prepare a loose script or jot down the main points you want to make, and give yourself a certain amount of time (and no more) to discuss them. The "feel" this gives to the review makes it sound really professional. Anyways, great work, I liked watching it/

Post #22 Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:32 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 1589
Was liked: 656
GD Posts: 918
KGS: topazg
usagi wrote:
The video, OTOH - if you can turn off your cursor, and use your video editing tool to crop out everything except the goban and game title above it, that would cut out on distractions and reduce the file size a lot.

This is interesting. Li Kao commented specifically on the value of the cursor, whereas you have said it is distracting. I'm interested to hear what other people think - I'm aware I deliberately used it in the review, being aware that it would be visible, but was this a bad way of highlighting areas?

usagi wrote:
Second point, if you don't mind me saying so :) your review is good but of course it's informal. If you want to take it to another level from the review end, you would of course want to prepare a loose script or jot down the main points you want to make, and give yourself a certain amount of time (and no more) to discuss them. The "feel" this gives to the review makes it sound really professional. Anyways, great work, I liked watching it/

Yes, it was informal - I find a lot of people prefer it that way. Again, maybe I'm just wrong - do other people prefer the idea of a crisper pre-scripted and more focused review?

Thanks for the feedback!

Post #23 Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:40 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 28
Was liked: 24
Can't please everybody ;)

Post #24 Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:56 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 115
Was liked: 102
KGS: LiKao / Loki
topazg wrote:
usagi wrote:
The video, OTOH - if you can turn off your cursor, and use your video editing tool to crop out everything except the goban and game title above it, that would cut out on distractions and reduce the file size a lot.

This is interesting. Li Kao commented specifically on the value of the cursor, whereas you have said it is distracting. I'm interested to hear what other people think - I'm aware I deliberately used it in the review, being aware that it would be visible, but was this a bad way of highlighting areas?

My comment was more an observation that the cursor is an important part of your review and thus a recording software should be able to record the cursor.

But it is an interesting question if there is a better way to highlight areas. For example something similar to the lasso tool most graphics programs offer. Or if the cursor should only be visible while the reviewer presses some button, similar to a laser pointer.

Post #25 Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:08 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 22
GD Posts: 10
KGS: usagi
Li Kao wrote:
My comment was more an observation that the cursor is an important part of your review and thus a recording software should be able to record the cursor.

Ahh, good point - you would want a cursor to be able to point out specific areas on the board. Good idea, leave the cursor in :)

-

Post #26 Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:27 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 546
Was liked: 173
GD Posts: 264
KGS: Chew
I agree with the cursor. In Bat's similar videos, he normally uses his cursor to show continuations (He can't play them out because it's midgame instead of a review). I find it really useful, and much more helpful than coordinates that the viewer may or may not be able to see.

And personally, I'm an informal kind of guy.