It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: figthing disaster (7k game)
Post #1 Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:00 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 52
Was liked: 41
KGS: tictac
Hi, i came back to go afer a 1 year break, the area where i feel lost is fighting.
So here is a game where i resign at move 80 after letting ! group die.
some questions:

-was K10 good ? (inspired by the similar symmetric position after a sanrensei)

-i think the C3 invasion as maybe too soon ?
-Here i felt iwas doing ok but i let myself be killed, i wonder where i overplayed ?

of course any comments welcome

Post subject: Re: figthing disaster (7k game)
Post #2 Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:50 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 115
Was liked: 102
KGS: LiKao / Loki
Why did you already resign? You're ahead in territory, and how much he gets out of his influence on the left can only be seen after you play it out.

Post #3 Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:27 am 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
K10 seems ok, altough it may be premature by a few moves. You have a big sente at F3 at least.
The meaning of K10 (tengen) is not territory, although at move 9 it looks that way. It is a fighting move. When you have played it, you need to follow up with moves like C8 and D15 and G17 and M17, for these moves lead to fights where your central stone should help.
Since these moves have not ben played by move 80, I'd agree with the previous poster that you don't need to resign yet.

My impression of the psychology of the game is that you regarded K10 as a territorial move, and when he lived in much of the left side, you perceivd all of your potential to have been lost. Whereas, if you recognize K10 as a fighting move, you can look at all the possible fights that remain, and see that there is still much to be played.

C3 is not a bad move, following the proverb that when your opponent gets extensions on both wings of a 4-4, you invade at the 3-3 before he plays it.

Post #4 Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:27 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 62
Was liked: 505
KGS: magicwand
Tygem: magicwand
Wbaduk: rlatkfkd
DGS: magicwand
OGS: magicwand
33: how about playing N6? that would give him alot of head ache.

Words by neil peart, music by geddy lee and alex lifeson

Post #5 Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:31 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 62
Was liked: 505
KGS: magicwand
Tygem: magicwand
Wbaduk: rlatkfkd
DGS: magicwand
OGS: magicwand
Li Kao wrote:
Why did you already resign? You're ahead in territory, and how much he gets out of his influence on the left can only be seen after you play it out.

it is good that he resigned. he is not ahead in territory. there is no room for any comeback. the game is over.

Words by neil peart, music by geddy lee and alex lifeson

Post #6 Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:37 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 391
Was liked: 162
Move 32: Too heavy. White should keep light, e.g. with O7.

Move 35: The cut does not work, because White gladly sacrifices two stones. Better attack the whole group at move 31, e.g. with K6.

Move 44: White should protect at P5. Black's corner is in ruins anyway.

Move 53: This cut does not work. Better simply move out with O10.

Move 61: Better move out solidly with O10.

Post #7 Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:11 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 115
Was liked: 102
KGS: LiKao / Loki
Magicwand wrote:
Li Kao wrote:

it is good that he resigned. he is not ahead in territory. there is no room for any comeback. the game is over.

There may be no comeback against a dan, but against a 7k it's not over yet. Of course the white influence is worth more than what black has, but if it's uncertain if a player at that level will be able to turn it into territory. I have come back from much worse situations.

This post by Li Kao was liked by: Joaz Banbeck

Post #8 Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:18 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 1589
Was liked: 656
GD Posts: 918
KGS: topazg
Li Kao wrote:
There may be no comeback against a dan, but against a 7k it's not over yet. Of course the white influence is worth more than what black has, but if it's uncertain if a player at that level will be able to turn it into territory. I have come back from much worse situations.

I wouldn't have resigned here either ;)

For one thing, there's a two step ko for that fight anyway, those stones aren't dead - perfect chance to open an invasion in White's area...

Post #9 Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:36 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
Harleqin wrote:
Move 32: Too heavy. White should keep light, e.g. with O7.

Move 35: The cut does not work, because White gladly sacrifices two stones. Better attack the whole group at move 31, e.g. with K6.

I'm not sure if Harlequin meant 31 or 33, for the advice is probably good for both. Note the common theme of both comments: keep one stone away when attacking on a large scale. ( Or as a friend of mine used to say: "Don't play with your food." )

Post #10 Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:55 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 52
Was liked: 41
KGS: tictac
thanks for the comment guys ! helpful as always:

for the resign: a psychological effect: i manage to kill a part of his invasion, i wanted to put pressure on him oand felt good and suddenly i am the one losing a group and he has influence and territory right in the middle of my chinese framework: i was just too depressed to fight on. Plus , when when you have a limited amount of time to play, you think that you'll be able to play one more game by early resigning and that the next one will go better (actually it didnt ....)

Joaz: i do know that it was for influence and as a ladder breaker, i just ddint have the opportunity to use it before i resign. My plan was to support a move around, say, E10 to reduce the influence of the wall he got from the san san invasion.

33 N6: o yes i love to cut keima when i can, i usually try to read if i can get away with it. I think i considered it, i remember seeing than R9 was a ladder breaker but rejected it .

joaz: 31/33 to heavy: i choose this over N6 because i felt i could strengthen my lozer group. On second thought it didnt need any strengthening i guess.

35: White could have sacrificed 2 stones: that right, i was lucky i gave me more than 2 in the end

O10: yes that is the move i was looking for, this stones should never have died.

But this is one difficulty of go: at move 31 Joaz kindly underline that fighting is made from a distance, which i know in theory, but there (move 53/61) i should have made a contact play that i tried to avoid by the keima at 61 O11: i also know that a contact play can be used to strengthen ones stone, but there my mindset was attack i guess. difficult to choose which theoric idea to choose in the heat of a fight

thanks for the comments