It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Operation Overboard [Games #2 & 3]
Post #1 Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:46 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 62
Was liked: 116
aka the blundering idiot trying to fight.

Yes, these are 2 masterpieces of sucking at go, it's incredible how deep the failure goes in these games.
Right now I'd say I'm done with these fighting games, but that's just the immense disappointment talking. I know that feeling usually transpires into motivation to learn after a few hours although I seriously doubt I'm learning anything with games like this, so I'll probably be back for an even bigger ass-kicking. Go players must be true masochists.

Also, I can't call these fighting games. Better to say they are slaughter-games, and I'm on the receiving end, from start to finish. One even ended in crashing CGoban by clicking the resign button a million times, just to get away from the awfulness.

So for your amusement, here are the games.

Post subject: Re: Operation Overboard [Games #2 & 3]
Post #2 Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:15 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 120
Was liked: 157
Hi,

Just some ideas.
In the first game I think the most important thing is how black did not put much pressure on white's invasion at :w74:. Moves like :b79: and :b81: ( :b85: :b91: also in some way) look very gentle. After moves like :w74: black should be able to torture white by keeping w's stones as insecure as possible. Moves like 79, 81 and 85 don't reduce w's eyespace. White was badly outnumbered in this area and still, he manages to live with more than 10 points, in sente and after having reduced black's territory to almost nothing.

To be a bit more precise:
:b79: probably better at s11 which 1) reduces w's eyespace 2) leaves a defect in w's shape at r12 3) encloses some points on the side for black
:b81: probably better at s9 which 1) reduces w's eyespace 2) encloses some points on the side for black

You generally don't have to kill invasions like 74 (well, sometimes you have to :)) but black should use the fact that he has more stones in the area to keep w under pressure. The goal is (generally) not to kill but to gain points and/or strength elsewhere. In the game black seemed more concerned with the security of his stones, spending two moves to capture a white stone with 79 and 81, which gave white time to extand and live confortably. Black should not worry that much about his p11 stone because he has a lot of support in the area (n15, L10, k7, the p3 wall). Instead he should pressure w's eyespace and make territory above and below w's group.

Post #3 Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:26 am 
Lives in gote

Was liked: 116
Thanks for your observations! Yes, invasions are definitely something to look into, too. Maybe time for me to go back to Get Strong at Invading. Was a bit difficult for me a few months ago but could be better for me now.

Anyway, I think I can call this the (premature but perfectly timed) end of the mini review series. Because I've learned the lesson I was supposed to learn from this. And that is: attacking/fighting without purpose gains nothing.
How will I get strong at fighting, then? Just by practicing L&D and by trying to put a little more pressure on my opponent in regular games. Not looking for fights, but trying to sense the right time to pressure the opponent, looking to gain something, attack from strength ... Rather than play games with the objective to get in a fight and win the fight.

So lesson learned :study:

Though maybe I can keep up the series and now try to attack properly... I'm gonna sleep on it.

Post #4 Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:50 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
A few comments. :)

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #5 Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:14 am 
Lives in gote