It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Identifying bad plays
Post #1 Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:29 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 62
Was liked: 116
A game I played. I think it certainly wasn't the best game I've ever played, but it was of a certain quality and I think it was pretty okay. Still, we're here to learn so I've identified the following "bad" moves from my play (with help from Leela, too). Do you agree and do you see others?

Move 23: I could be more aggressive.
Move 39: Too soft. I could attack better for profit.
Move 41: reading error. I end up with too few liberties if I cut next.
Move 53: Wrong side. Try to make 3-3 work.
Move 65: Not the largest point.
Move 75: Keima! Now the invasion dies.
Move 81: Doesn't really leave aji because invasion will be dead.
Move 89: I could make the invasion live now. See variation. Didn't see this during the game, though, obviously.
Move 95: Could be better.
Move 101: taking away my own liberty. Bad move.
Move 111: Just descent to 2nd line, much better.
Move 127: Doesn't take any points.
Move 141: Bad timing

Some are just reading mistakes or minor ones. Others are more important. Don't just take away own liberties in exchange for nothing. Don't be too passive. Don't make empty triangle!

Any insights appreciated!

Post subject: Re: Identifying bad plays
Post #2 Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:44 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
Move 23: I could be more aggressive.

*** More a question of direction, I think. You don't want White to push out towards the right side, as he did in the game.

Also, the solid connection at L-14 is better locally than the double hanging connection.

Move 39: Too soft. I could attack better for profit.

*** I don't like :b37:, as it allows :w38:. White now threatens the attachment at K-05. :b39: does nothing to protect against that play. Wow, White actually found that play. :o

Move 41: reading error. I end up with too few liberties if I cut next.

*** Only a reading error in that you should know it's bad shape and makes only 4 liberties, even before White's next play reduces them to 3.

Remember, calculation of the game tree is only part of reading. Choice of candidate plays is also part, as is the judgement of results.

I would not even consider this play.

Move 53: Wrong side. Try to make 3-3 work.

*** I would question :b49: as well, as :w50: weakens the invasion, and Black is strong outside.

Move 65: Not the largest point.

*** K-09, topping the tree looks like a better attacking play. OTOH, the left side beckons.

Move 75: Keima! Now the invasion dies.

*** Yes, the keima is better. I don't like :b73:, either.

Move 81: Doesn't really leave aji because invasion will be dead.

*** This play is aji keshi because it kills the cut at C-09, as well as, possibly the peep at C-08, because now it is not a peep.

Move 89: I could make the invasion live now. See variation. Didn't see this during the game, though, obviously.

*** I had gotten my hopes up. OC, White erred. You should be on the lookout for these opportunities.

Move 95: Could be better.

*** Normally not a move to consider here. The hane or the jump to H-11 are usual.

And now you may regret :b81:.

Move 101: taking away my own liberty. Bad move.

*** Yes. What if White should cut?

Move 111: Just descent to 2nd line, much better.

*** Bad shape. To gain what?

Move 127: Doesn't take any points.

*** The bottom left looks good.

Move 141: Bad timing

*** Yes, it's small. But you just reduced the liberties of your own stone to two. You could have anticipated White's response when you tenukied.

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #3 Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:36 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 62
Was liked: 116
Thanks Bill, for adding additional thoughts to my bad plays identified. For what it's worth, I think being able to identify my own bad plays in most cases (only rarely does Leela have to tell me it's bad) shows my level of analysis is higher than my level op play, meaning my playing is not optimal :) But then we're back to the topic of playing mindful go, with a clear head, no distractions, no pressure...

Post #4 Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:51 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
Ian Butler wrote:
my level of analysis is higher than my level op play, meaning my playing is not optimal :)

That's actually normal. :) However, it is possible, in the words of the great Billie Jean King, to raise the level of your play during a game.

Quote:
But then we're back to the topic of playing mindful go, with a clear head, no distractions, no pressure...

As bridge great Terence Reese said, a player who plays up to themselves is hard to beat. :)

Simple observation is part of the process. A few times in this game you lost sight of dame. In one case you could have played atari with sente and then saved your group. In another, you had just reduced your own liberties to two and then let your opponent atari and then invade your territory.

Hmmm. Shortage of liberties is one theme in these plays. Wilcox warns us to be careful about leaving any stones with fewer than five dame. You can count dame, OC, but you should be able to recognize stones with fewer than five dame in a glance. :)

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.