It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help me review: tournament game
Post #1 Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:38 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 65
Was liked: 5
Hi,

I am asking for help with the review of my game. I am especially interested in the moves, that you realize are bad and how do you realize they are bad. I added my review, so you can maybe guess my blindspots.

Thank you :)

(later in the game the order of few moves is probably in the wrong order...)

Attachments:
Game2.sgf [2.25 KiB]
Downloaded 553 times

Post subject: Re: Help me review: tournament game
Post #2 Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:00 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
Clicking through, moves which strike me as bad:
- move 13, b7 crawl: thank you move as now push and cut is laddered, c6 push and cut/clamp is normal locally
- move 23: tenuki to top, or your r2, don't like gote wall with extension too close and low. Also follow the LZ Opening Gospel
- move 27: yes overconcentrated and passive. If you can't see a good local move, don't play a local move! What are you scared of if tenuki? You have a wall, use it. If anything play to left of k3.
- move 29: passive again. What are you scared of if tenuki? You took gote with r8 extend earlier so white can't build anything on right side.
- move 31: so tenuki again! n16 is a more active local move to split white. Or p17 kick to get corner and avoid white q17 r17 r16 overconcentration tesuji.
- move 35: n16 is again shape
- move 39: pathetic, yes better to split
- move 41: not so bad, but I think corner or top side is bigger. Left side is boring.

This post by Uberdude was liked by: marvin

Post #3 Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:40 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
I basically agree with Uberdude. :)

Main focus: Don't make bad plays just because you don't know where else to play.

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

This post by Bill Spight was liked by: marvin

Post #4 Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:04 am 
Dies in gote

Thank you very much, each of your points is a good lesson for me. Interestingly, I was not too happy with the problematic moves (I saw a bit of a problem with efficiency). But they were not obviously bad either. But a tenuki to a corner with only one stone will be rarely a worse play in these examples.

Quote:
- move 13, b7 crawl: thank you move as now push and cut is laddered, c6 push and cut/clamp is normal locally

Very nice explanation :)

move 23: definitely a place where I will consider a tenuki in the future
move 35: n16 was totally a blindspot for me
move 39: I don't know why I didn't play Q17, or why I didn't consider it in the review. Do you think it is better or worse than the split?

All in all, playing a long series game resulted in a passive opening from me, which is quite interesting. Usually I don't avoid fights so much.
Also, my time management was horrible, as usual. (I am so slow. Somebody has a suggestion how to improve this aspect of the game?)

Some more middle game questions:
Would you cut at D7 with 71?
What to do for 105?
Where to play 115?
121 ok or try to sacrify H7?
Is 131 bad?

I also need to try to evaluate the position at 185, and think about a reasonable endgame from there (this seems a good exercise for me, there was no time during the game).

Post #5 Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:45 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 270
Was liked: 147
Universal go server handle: gennan
marvin wrote:
I am so slow. Somebody has a suggestion how to improve this aspect of the game?

Check the clock regularly. When you're falling behind your opponent by time, try to speed up a little. You don't want to enter byoyomi half an hour before your opponent.

Post #6 Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:10 pm 
Honinbo

marvin wrote:
Also, my time management was horrible, as usual. (I am so slow. Somebody has a suggestion how to improve this aspect of the game?)

Maybe you lack discipline reading, I dunno.

You entered byoyomi at move 109, 10 minutes for 25 moves. How much time did you use before byoyomi?

Visualize whirled peas.

Post #7 Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:31 am 
Dies in gote

Quote:
You entered byoyomi at move 109, 10 minutes for 25 moves. How much time did you use before byoyomi?

75 min

I don't know how bad was this, but since I play sometimes on IGS, I thought that playing in byoyomi shouldn't be a problem.
But it was, I zoned out a few times thinking about a move, and then I had a few minutes left and almost all of 25 left stones to play. Which made me nervous and harder to concentrate on the move, and not think about the time too much. And playing with the analog clock, it was not obvious precisely how much time I have left. Also, the game lasted for 3h, so it was hard to maintain the concentration through the end.
I guess I am just finding the excuses:P.
But I have problems with time (losing on time or playing bad moves in the last second) also online, and I know I have this problem, but I am unable to really fix it.

Post #8 Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:26 am 
Honinbo

marvin wrote:
Quote:

75 min

I don't know how bad was this, but since I play sometimes on IGS, I thought that playing in byoyomi shouldn't be a problem.
But it was, I zoned out a few times thinking about a move, and then I had a few minutes left and almost all of 25 left stones to play. Which made me nervous and harder to concentrate on the move, and not think about the time too much. And playing with the analog clock, it was not obvious precisely how much time I have left. Also, the game lasted for 3h, so it was hard to maintain the concentration through the end.

Where endurance is a question, sports psychologists say, or they used to say, expend 80% effort, not 100%. OC, go is not like running, so you can relax, mentally and physically. Different people have different ways of doing that.

I remember preparing for the Western States Open, in the days before the internet. Some friends helped me train playing with byoyomi. I found it surprisingly nervewracking. ;) I made a plan to go into byoyomi at move 175, and that worked OK.

I don't know if having a plan of when to enter byoyomi would work for you, but I pass that idea along. Your pace for your first 54 moves was more than 3 times as slow as the byoyomi pace. That's a fairly big difference.

Quote:
I guess I am just finding the excuses:P.
But I have problems with time (losing on time or playing bad moves in the last second) also online, and I know I have this problem, but I am unable to really fix it.

Time management aside, I wanted to raise the related question of effective use of time. For amateurs, Rin Kaiho recommended reserving a good bit of time to use on a single, crucial move. I think that with the time limits of this game, reserving 30 minutes would perhaps be reasonable. That would leave you 45 minutes for the rest, before byoyomi. If you went into byoyomi at move 150, that would still be a pace of about 15 minutes for 25 moves, ⅔ as fast as byoyomi. I don't know if that pace would be good for you or not.

I was impressed with Kotov's discipline for calculating variations in chess, which he wrote about in Think Like a Grandmaster. My impression, from this one game, is that, in the opening, anyway, you read too deeply and not broadly enough. There were good plays that you did not consider or, if you did, you did not spend enough time on. For each play, whether yours or your opponent's, the first thing Kotov does is to identify candidate moves. Sometimes there are several, sometimes only a few. Obviously, how much time you can spend on each branch will differ accordingly. One thing that is peculiar to Kotov is that he recommends reading each branch only once. :o His point is that you have to trust your reading, and if so, there is no reason to go back over what you have already read. (Except on the next move. the board has changed, after all.) Nobody else seems to follow that rule, and research does not bear it out. But, IMO, it is a good way to develop discipline in reading. It's now or never. ;) Also, if you are spending time going back over what you have already read, it's a timesaver. :)

Anyway, FWIW, I think that you may benefit from reading more broadly and less deeply. You might try restricting the depth of your reading, unless it seems really important to go deeper. And maybe spend more time looking for candidate moves. Knowing which moves and how many you are going to explore can help you ration your time better.

Good luck! :)

Visualize whirled peas.

This post by Bill Spight was liked by: marvin

Post #9 Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:42 am 
Oza

Liked others: 359
Was liked: 1019
KGS: Artevelde
OGS: Knotwilg
Online playing schedule: UTC 18:00 - 22:00
I agree that time management is a major asset in playing Go well and it's one that you can easily train without tutoring in Go in particular.
I wrote about it: https://senseis.xmp.net/?DieterVerhofst ... Management. Take it with your own grain of salt.

On the topic of reading, SL has a whole path: https://senseis.xmp.net/?Reading

Both the required depth and width of reading can be reduced.

Knowing life & death and tesuji can greatly reduce depth of reading. L-group, comb group, two stone tower tesuji ... all of these are known statuses to me that can reduce reading by as many as 15 moves.
See https://senseis.xmp.net/?LifeAndDeath and https://senseis.xmp.net/?Tesuji

Reducing width is synonym with better candidate selection. This comes with the experience of playing and reviewing, but also by applying basic technique. See https://senseis.xmp.net/?BasicTechnique

This post by Knotwilg was liked by 2 people: Bill Spight, marvin