It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Where was I wrong? 5kyu review request
Post #1 Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:58 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
Hi all,
i am 5kyu KGS and faced like a wall against 4 kyu players.
In this game I made some mistakes with the initial pincer and was basically not able to recover from it.
What was the best answers for these kind of pincer and the basic principles to follow apart from knowing all the joseki?
How i could invade/reduce the territory on the right side?

Thanks in advance for the reviews.

Post subject: Re: Where was I wrong? 5kyu review request
Post #2 Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:02 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 391
Was liked: 162
:b9: - play the simple connecting move. White then goes along the third line. Maybe you can double hane then.
:b15: - at least play the tiger mouth connection, but even better: extend to O14 to take some control of the centre/diagonal.
:b17: - this doesn't contest either corner, it just sits on the side. Better play a real kakari, e. g. R5 or Q5.
:b21: - better play S3 to quickly settle and not give too much secure territory.
:b29: - again just sits on the side, doesn't protect the corner, doesn't threaten White. Better F3.
:b33: - J3 sits too close for this. Better play C5 for double hane (likely re-taking the corner) or C6 for sente or fight.
:w34: - should keima to the second line, I think, otherwise black can revert to the double hane joseki by just pushing through.
:b37: - just cut at B6. White has to capture, you take the corner.
:w44: - too early
:b47: - tenuki to top left, or capture the ladder stone

Post #3 Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:31 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 177
Was liked: 491
Even if you don't know the joseki, you should know that :b9: should be at P15. That's basic instinct, as S. Stone says (see "Block the angle play").

:b59: seems a bit premature. You finish in gote. If you really want to play :b59: then :b61: at S8. Either White responds with :w62: at S10 and you get sente, or White plays elsewhere but leaves a weakness.

:b67: don't attach to a weak stone.

Post #4 Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:33 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 359
Was liked: 1019
KGS: Artevelde
OGS: Knotwilg
Online playing schedule: UTC 18:00 - 22:00
The previous comments are all valid so let me try to dig more into the question "why are you making these mistakes".

In general your moves give the impression of being both strategically aimless and technically flawed. I don't know what the time settings were but I wouldn't be surprised if this was a fast paced game. On these assumptions, I have a few recommendations:

1) play a slower paced game and/or use the time you have to consider a few moves and pick the one that seems to give rise to an acceptable sequence
2) apply basic technique or "haengma" such as one space jump for defense, keima for attack, don't attach to weak stones ...
3) apply basic strategic principles such as cut/connect on a large scale, attack/defend weak groups, play the largest area when all groups are strong

A few examples:

:b7: after a pincer, which denies a base, you could play the basic move for defense, i.e. a one space jump
(as pointed out, block at :b9: and approach the corner at :b17:)
:b35: instead of cutting aimlessly, leave this area alone and reinforce the upper left corner
:b53: instead of invading his base, build the upper side
:b67: attaching to a weak invading stone will make it stronger; attack from a distance instead, like with a capping move (boshi)

between 95 and 111 you have the right idea to build territory in the lower left center by attacking White's weak group; alas, you have to defend your own top group, which you have correctly identified as weak

:b111: Here you have to connect your big central string at E14, instead of connecting the worthless stone at G16. Now it's White who cuts and connects his major groups and you have no more leverage against him.

:b157: This move is not sente. Luckily the opponent answers. On the right side you can capture a stone. That move is worth much more. It's moves like these that give the impression you are playing on auto-pilot and not really considering alternatives.

Good luck!

Post #5 Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:48 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 177
Was liked: 491
To be fair, I don't think that :b35: was aimless, the goal was to surround the lower left corner completely.