It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Game on KGS
Post #1 Posted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:03 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 146
Was liked: 150
Universal go server handle: judicata
I'm mostly looking for global/general comments on mistakes I tend to make (though I wouldn't mind some positive reinforcement as well!), from anyone kind enough to opine. If no one feels like it, no prob. I think I'm around 12-15kyu, though it is still getting worked out. After this game on KGS, I'm "12k?"

I know reviewing losses is the norm and generally more useful, but I barely won this one (B+5.5) and I had a 2 stone handicap, so mistakes abound. I also think it was a typical game for me (not my best, but not my worst), so it is probably good for general comments. No analysis is too short - thanks!

Last edited by judicata on Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Game on KGS
Post #2 Posted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:23 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 90
Was liked: 837
KGS: Capsule 4d
Tygem: 치킨까스 5d
12 - First big mistake, it makes you heavy, doesn't get any territory, and overall does nothing.
16 - This move only forces White to get stronger by playing R5 (though he didn't).
24 - Another example where you only force White to reinforce weak points.
30 - Slack. The cut at M5 is not worrisome (read it and see!). Once again it forces White to reinforce with K3.
46 - Too slow, it's endgame value. R16 is much bigger.
50 - Looks like a moyo move, but the framework on the left isn't very efficient. I would still protect at R16. However, note that White's top group is not fully alive yet. I would attack the group first and see what happens. G14 is a move to consider.
52 - Almost a pass, does nothing.
54 - O6 instead, you can't be too attached over 3 stones right?
68 - This is unnecessary, since White can't play M5. I am surprised White hasn't dived at R17 or added another move to the top group yet.
74 - This forces White to protect the cut at O11. I would play O11, then protect at P9. This way White's 3 stones would still be under pressure.
100 - Too slack! You must hane the other way at J18. This also threatens the safety of White's group.
104 - Almost dame.
120 - Too small.
132 - This doesn't protect anything; worth negative points because after White plays A3 and you block, you either still need to protect the cut or instead of blocking, play B4 (as you did)...both not good.
136 - You can just eat this stone by playing E4.
140 - Too small.
146 - P19 is better because with your move, White can play N19 later.
152 - Why protect here? It's dame. What about E19?
178 - Dame.

A bad habit you have is forcing your opponent to protect his weak points; these moves are categorized as "thank-you moves". Also, you need to focus on the endgame.

Post #3 Posted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:59 am 
Lives in sente

Thanks Araban, this is all very helpful. I'm going to spend some more time going through the game and looking at your comments.

The odd thing is that, with most of your comments on a slow move, I felt like it was slow at the time, but played it anyway. It is lazy play, and I'll definitely work on that. There are exceptions; I simply didn't see the hane on the other side at 100--I had defensive-mode blinders on.

Other times, I think about other plays for a bit and determine they don't work, so I play somewhere that appears not to jeopardize anything...which is bad.

And the endgame is probably the one area of the game of studied the least. For some reason it just hasn't interested me like other parts of the game. I definitely need to prioritize it, though.

Post #4 Posted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:17 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
6: E3 would force F4, then he would be overconcentrated ( look at http://senseis.xmp.net/?ExtensionFromAWall )
because his J4 stone would be better placed at K4.
If you let him slide to D2, then J4 may be ok for him.

8: This seems rather uncertain. If you are going to support the corner stone, do it like you mean it - with O16.

12: This is way too heavy and inflexible. L3 or R5 feels better.

22: Again, too heavy. The shape move is P9.

30: What does this stone do? It's purpose is not clear.

34: Good move.

42: Hane!

52: Heavy, lacks punch. You worried about eye space? Play something that gets you space and threatens him a bit at the same time. Like P10 or R5.

64: Nice tesuji!

68: He's bluffing. He has no good continuation from that stone.

80: This is really slow. You are a go player, not a bricklayer.

82: Yes! An extension!

In summary, I have two comments:

1) Learn about extensions from strength. Not just N+1, but the idea of not playing too close to your own strength.

2) Put your soul into your moves. Act like you really want to win the game with the move that you are making right now. Make a move that means something.
It is better to make a bad move with purpose than to make a mediocre move from lack of resolution.

Post #5 Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:35 am 
Lives in sente

Thanks for all of your comments, having stepped away from the game for a day or two, I can really see my mistakes.

Joaz Banbeck wrote:
6: E3 would force F4, then he would be overconcentrated ( look at http://senseis.xmp.net/?ExtensionFromAWall )
because his J4 stone would be better placed at K4.
If you let him slide to D2, then J4 may be ok for him.

I have just simply neglected overconcentration in my play/study, particularly when it comes to make an opponent overconcentrated.

Quote:

42: Hane!

Yes, amazingly I saw my opponent's hane, but not my own. I get in defensive mode way too much if I have a handicap.

Quote:

64: Nice tesuji!

I was actually kind of excited about this move, since I was reading Tesuji (Davies) recently and I thought "hey, that looks familiar." It was encouraging because that book is so hard for me that I was worried it was worthless at this point. This wasn't a complex tesuji, but still...

Quote:
68: He's bluffing. He has no good continuation from that stone.

I didn't see that until you pointed it out. I feel like things could've gotten a little unpleaseant with W@M6, B@K6, W@K7.

Quote:
It is better to make a bad move with purpose than to make a mediocre move from lack of resolution.

Did you coin that? Either way, I love it because it is the opposite of what I play much of the time.

Post #6 Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:11 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 28
Read Lessons in the Fundamentals of Go by Kageyama Toshiro 7p. :D

In general it looks like you don't really have a good idea of what to do in close contact fights, your opening was very good but in the bottom right I really don't know what's going on!

Instead of extending from stones one line at a time, try to jump further ahead, just make sure you can't get cut.

Post #7 Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:20 pm 
Lives in sente

Tabemasu wrote:

I may just have to cave and get that book.

Post #8 Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:01 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 1589
Was liked: 656
GD Posts: 918
KGS: topazg
Tabemasu wrote:

In general it looks like you don't really have a good idea of what to do in close contact fights, your opening was very good but in the bottom right I really don't know what's going on!

Instead of extending from stones one line at a time, try to jump further ahead, just make sure you can't get cut.

Yay, another dan player supporting the book :D