It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 10:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Was my opponent playing a teaching game or for real?
Post #1 Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:17 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 0
I was playing against this much higher rank opponent that me. I technically won for the game if it had not been for the last move that put my stones in atari to which I just passed. I put the variation as it should have been; if done this way I would have won. My question is, did I beat the 4k opponent because he was playing a teaching game? Expertise would be much appreciated.

Attachments:
sit5554k-shinigami14k.sgf [2.07 KiB]
Downloaded 378 times

Post subject: Re: Was my opponent playing a teaching game or for real?
Post #2 Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:36 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 738
Was liked: 239
KGS: illluck
Tygem: Trickprey
OGS: illluck
Not to be negative, but I doubt the opponent is 4k.

Even if we were to ignore the top weirdness at the beginning, there are some pretty strange moves from white.

L3 and the resulting sequence was really contradictory to all his moves in the centre, 138 should be at M8. A lot of sequences were quite awkward too, and there were also moves that helped you fix weaknesses.

A 4k might make some of these mistakes in a game, but I doubt it's be as frequent.

Edit: Also, I just wanted to also say that black's playing also seems to be stronger than a 14k (though IGS ddks do tend to be stronger than KGS ddks).

p.s. Black had a ko at T8 for a while during the game.

Post subject: Re: Was my opponent playing a teaching game or for real?
Post #3 Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:35 am 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
PROVOK3 wrote:
I was playing against this much higher rank opponent that me. I technically won for the game if it had not been for the last move that put my stones in atari to which I just passed. I put the variation as it should have been; if done this way I would have won. My question is, did I beat the 4k opponent because he was playing a teaching game? Expertise would be much appreciated.

Your opponent's play was definitely not 4K. I'd say that you both played in the 10-14K range. You did well for 14K. :clap:
It does not feel like a teaching game.

BUT you did not win, technically or otherwise. Sorry, but you didn't. The game of go does not end when there are no more points. It does not end when you start playing dame. It ends when the rules say it ends. And you have to be wary of your opponent as much at the end of the game as at the beginning.

You are in good company. This happens to all of us. Some get swindled in the beginning, some in the middlegame, some in dame-filling. :)