It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My first life in 19 game review request.
Post #1 Posted: Sun May 23, 2010 9:54 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 15
GD Posts: 98
KGS: Prophet19
Well it has been a while since i asked for a review (since GD) i was 12k and i think ive gotten a tad better but not sure ;)

Well here it is.

Also after reviewing this myself i relised that top left corner was dead ether way, and it cost me the game

Post subject: Re: My first life in 19 game review request.
Post #2 Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 2:17 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 1589
Was liked: 656
GD Posts: 918
KGS: topazg
25 - Really should be at J14. Not that what you played is small, but letting your opponent hane around both sides of two stones is almost always bad - I'd rather make an empty triangle than let it happen anyway ;) White @ 26 can play J14, then H15 @28, and it is hard for Black to maintain his position on the top side, the shape becomes very sad.

33 - Why this side and not S14?

39 - He's played a somewhat loose contact play. Either hane or extend - there's no point in jumping here and creating a light, but thin shape, as you've invested so much on the right. If you are concerned about the White playing Q7 if you hane, take Q7 yourself, otherwise hane. By 52, this result is unpleasant for Black as White's thickness is good, and it's almost entirely caused by this jump.

61 - Why?

67 - You must play C5 and allow the ko here, or you'll get ripped in half.

End of comments for now :)

Post #3 Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 3:34 am 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
11: Covering the low cut instead of the high one is a bit inconsistent with your two high 4-4 stones.

25: This leaves the center unresolved. The hane at J13 would be better, as would the cut at M13.

39: As a general rule, when the opponent attaches 1-on-1, you should hane. Sometimes if your position is weak, you might make a solid extension ( to Q7 or S7 ), but never jump.

45-49: This is toothpaste go. What are you trying to accomplish here? Just live? You are easily alive against the side. Trying to run on both sides just makes him stronger. Take a big sente move somplace else.

57: Crosscut. You have more stones on the left side of the board, and the resulting fight should favor you.

59: This is too submissive. If you must retreat, atari at H14 first, then play J16. He can ladder your stone, but you have a ladder breaker at D10 that you can you to attack his left side group. ( Go back and look at move 25 )

139: You are rescuing 1 stone in gote. There are bigger moves like S14 or S6 or B1, worth 5 or 10 times as much, and they are sente.

148: He just foolishly finished in gote. The game is close. You can finish him off if you keep sente.

163: Think sente. And remember that points are easier on the sides than in the center.

207: S15.

213: That is 1/2 point in gote. There are still sente moves available like B13 and B1. Or G18 is a big gote.

231: You don't have to win this ko. He has one eye at A19/B19. You easily have two eyes yourself.
You can still pick up an additional 7 points, enough to win the game. B1 is sente.

Post #4 Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 3:40 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 1589
Was liked: 656
GD Posts: 918
KGS: topazg
Joaz Banbeck wrote:
57: Crosscut. You have more stones on the left side of the board, and the resulting fight should favor you.

Really? Hmmm, bJ13 (crosscut) wJ15 looks ok for White, but maybe even wK16? Feels very hard to handle to me...