It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 6kv6k moyogame - trouble ahead
Post #1 Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:22 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 6
Was liked: 3
KGS: blue

after my last 2 games, which i both lost, i thought i have a problem. I feel really uncomfortable when playing white and black goes for moyo.
my strategy seems real bad too =/
anyways, this is the game i played and lost.
Comments appreciated

Post subject: Re: 6kv6k moyogame - trouble ahead
Post #2 Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:19 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 546
Was liked: 173
GD Posts: 264
KGS: Chew
Hey,

We're the same rank, so I can't really say anything is wrong. However, in your shoes, I would have invaded more deeply at move 32. I would have started at C9. In the game, you spent the next few moves after 32 digging in deeper, at great risk to yourself. Had you started deep, you could have immediately slid for eyespace or jumped out, depending on your priority. The black stone at C7 is weak and lonely, so it seems a good place to start.

You have quite a bit of territory yourself, so you don't need to put yourself into huge danger, you just need to reduce his points a bit or increase yours. Keep in mind that his top left has a few weaknesses (the large knight's enclosure as well as the nearby three-stone jump that even has your aji stone next to it). Some kind of probing attachment would give you a start at a light reduction (or deep invasion) at very little cost to yourself. I'm trying to start throwing those out in this sort of situation. I rarely do it correctly, I'm sure, but it's worth starting trying, in order to learn through experience what works and what doesn't.

This post by Chew Terr was liked by: blue

Post #3 Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:02 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 193
Was liked: 83
GD Posts: 56
KGS: hopjesvla
A few quick comments. Up to 31 I feel white's opening is quite good and as a result, the game has already become difficult for black. Tenuki at 32 is sharp. As Chew said, C9 might have been better as it applies more pressure on the lonely stone, but this is very difficult to say - don't forget that black might decide to sacrifice the C7 stone! So at least, I think 32 is not that bad.

38 makes a thin shape. Better to just extend - the aji of black wedging and cutting can easily become nasty for you.

Then black blunders with 43. He cannot defend his lonely stone, the game sequence is too painful for him. Instead he should have played 43 at C13. It's very good that you push through, but instead of 54 you really should give one more atari at E14 (it's not like you'd be erasing aji anyways, your stones are deader than dead already...) and then connect at F11. By playing that, you would build a thick group inside his moyo. That's game over :)

However, in the game you play a few thin moves: 58 (this is also attaching to a weak group), 62 (why not sacrifice?), 70 (big time aji keshi) and especially 72 (must play at F6, you have too many weaknesses otherwise). This kind of move is not needed when ahead, so you give him good chances to come back, and he takes them...

In short: you have a very good opening already, no need to focus too much on that any more. Now, you should learn that during contact fighting you must build strong groups with:
- Many liberties
- Few cutting points

Then you will not lose this kind of game any more :)

When in doubt, play the most aggressive move

This post by gaius was liked by 2 people: blue, Chew Terr

Post #4 Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:51 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 6
Was liked: 3
KGS: blue
thank you both very much for your comments, you're helping me alot here

btw i didn't really thought i was ahead. blacks moyo was huge .. =/