All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Incomplete grudge match
Post #1 Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:21 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 24
Was liked: 59
GD Posts: 227
KGS: Aphelion02
Here's a grudge match of sorts I had vs someone from KTL, when I called him out for giving blatantly bad advice to ddks. He quit in the middle but honestly I think I was losing. I probably gave up my pincer stone on the top for too little, but I was left with a lot of weaknesses near the end and I don't know what I could have done much better. I'm hoping people here can point out my mistakes and give an assessment of the game :).

Post subject: Re: Incomplete grudge match
Post #2 Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:12 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 52
Was liked: 43
IGS: ethanb
The 1-space jump for move #18 is probably better than making the shimari, but I think both are playable.

With move 22 I think you should switch direction (play at R14). Diving into the corner gives him a nice wall facing the influence he already has on the right side.

46 and 48 are probably too early, but you should cut at H6 with #50 anyway to try and make them useful. the exchange of #50 and #51 where you played it helps black a LOT more than it helps white.

Post #3 Posted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:32 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 378
Was liked: 375
:w40: touches a weak stone.
IMO, :b43: should be the nobi at H4. He'd have a followup move at K5 as well, and your last few moves would feel dumb.
:w50: seems small and unimportant to me.
After you played the :w46: - :b51: exchange, you've only strengthened black while netting very few points yourself. In addition, your bottom-right group is now weak.

No understanding of what is now, no knowledge of what will be.

Post #4 Posted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:54 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 90
Was liked: 837
KGS: Capsule 4d
Tygem: 치킨까스 5d
Cool, didn't know you could use numbered stone smilies beyond 10, thanks Dusk Eagle :).

I think the first questionable move in the game that isn't already covered in the variations shown in the SGF is :w32: . I would play O12 instead because it maintains more access to the center.

:w40: , then :w42: , is also questionable - it's a sequence that gives you territory, but does it really in this case? Note that Black has N2, so the answer should be clear. And in the exchange Black gets strengthened, so overall it's not a worthwhile exchange. If you wanted territory in the G3 area, then E3 looks correct.

:w48: , then :w50: , only strengthens Black and makes your K4 group weaker. If you wanted to capture E3, you should have just outright played F3 rather than building Black a wall and then playing it :).

:w52: is wrong timing. If Black were to play N2, your group on the bottom would face some bitter hardships.