It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tygem: How is one supposed to designate the dead stones?
Post #1 Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:10 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
Tygem: Aubie
IGS: Aubie
Online playing schedule: Irregular schedule; limit myself typically to one day a day.
I have played over 200 games on Tygem seldom with any problem during the counting (well, sometimes I’m unhappy that I lost :-). Recently, at the end of games, after I have passed, I have started getting a message to designate the dead stones. Well, on the Japanese Panda board, this is the norm. Panda shows which stones are in question and you and your opponent mark the dead ones. With Tygem I don’t get a screen to mark the dead stone, nor can I use the game screen to mark the dead stones. I don’t see any evidence that my opponent has marked my dead stones.
In my most recent game the score was close (I was ahead 4.5 with a Chinese 7D player). I was repeatedly asked to designate dead stones; on Tygem I don’t know how to designate them. Between requests to designate, Tygem would ask me if I agreed with the scoring, which I would agree. Apparently, my opponent wouldn’t. After several cycles of these requests to designate dead stones & agree to the score, my opponent agreed.
How is one supposed to designate the dead stones?

Post subject: Re: Tygem: How is one supposed to designate the dead stones?
Post #2 Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:14 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 4
Was liked: 1
KGS: kohaku
Tygem: EnigmaVr
Hi!
playing on Tygem also, i think scoring is an automatic feature and just needs you to validate.
Maybe your opponent was not happy about the scoring.
Some players can do this on purpose to make you lose by time...

Post #3 Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:05 pm 
Beginner

Online playing schedule: Irregular schedule; limit myself typically to one day a day.
In my most recent game, at the end we both passed. The game was scored showing I was ahead, but my opponent disagreed. Then we started getting the message "Process: Counting has now stated. Please designate the dead stones."
As I stated in my original post on this subject, I do not see how to mark my opponent's dead stones, nor did I see where s/he was marking my dead stones.
We went around perhaps 3 or 4 times before I killed 147, 149, and 227. Since I had comfortable margin, I secured the win. In a closer game, forcing me to play unnecessary stone into my territory could have cost me or an opponent a deserved win.
How do you designate the dead stones on Tygem?

Attachments:
File comment: End of game picture.
Paste72920200.jpg
Paste72920200.jpg [ 831.96 KiB | Viewed 6310 times ]

Post #4 Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:00 pm 
Beginner

Apparently, the English version of Tygem has fewer features than the Korean version. Designating dead stones is one of them. In my just-finished game I had a small, but comfortable advantage. I kept expecting my 9D opponent to pass or resign, so I kept filling in neutral points. Finally, my opponent asked for counting. I agreed to the automatic counting. I was asked to designate dead stones. Of course, I had no way to do that. So I clicked finished (I knew from experience that I would have a chance to disagree if I got an inaccurate score, which happens more often than you might expect). My opponent never seems to "finish" marking his/her dead stones. I sent a note that I didn't have a way of marking dead stones and posted my manual count of the score. Two more times I was asked to mark my dead stones. I then clicked on the ASK FOR HELP tab at the bottom right corner and marked that I needed help with counting. After2 minutes my opponent resigned and gave me a GOOD MANNERS badge.
Giving GOOD MANNERS badges is another feature that doesn't seem to be available for users of the English Tygem version.
I like the Korean Tygem board. Compared to the Japanese GoPanda board, you have many more potential high Dan opponents on both the Tygem and Chinese Fox boards. Even if I really was a 9D player, it would be near impossible to advance to even to 8D on the Panda board unless one is willing to play hundreds of games.
The only downer for me on the Korean board is logging-on time. It is normal for the Tygem to take a minimum of 5 minutes before I can challenge for a game. It sometimes happens that when the screen begins opening I will hear a notice that someone is challenging me for a game, but it will be at least 2 more minutes before I can accept a challenge or do anything else. GoPanda loads quickly and I can be playing within a minute.