It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: strange seki
Post #21 Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:10 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4626
Robert: Everything you say is based on the premise you alone are logically right and everybody else is wrong. Common sense is based on neither right nor wrong but on what most people prefer. We use it because it a fundamental part of our DNA.

Common sense can be glaringly wrong, e.g. racial stereotyping. Then it is well worth trying to change the basic thinking. But it is incredibly difficult to change behaviour that is part of our DNA. If it is so difficult in such important cases, should we be getting worked up about trivial cases?

Common sense in go starts with the oft forgotten fact that it is just a game. I repeat: it is just a game. It is highly unlikely, therefore, that using our human predilection to apply common sense to all aspects of go is going to be in any way heinous. The game does not need self-appointed Einsteins to untangle its theory or the workings of its rules.

It is absolutely fine if, as an intellectual pursuit, budding Einsteins study go theory and rules. What is not fine is for those people to impose their mindsets on the bulk of players who prefer common sense. Report the results of the intellectual pursuit if you like. If those results are ignored, move on. Don't try to start a war. Learn to trust common sense. It is sometimes wrong. It is often right. It is always what most people prefer.

It is my view (having translated French rules into English as part of the BGA's decision to adopt AGA rules) that AGA rules failed on one simple issue: superko.

If the AGA had taken the decision to promulgate a ruleset that simply allowed people, as it were, to drive on different sides of the road according to the country they were in - Japanese-style counting or Chinese-style counting - and left it at that, people would have seen only the common-sense behind that view. After all, counting is implicit in every single game, and different countries are, well, different.

But as soon as superko was mentioned, they lost most of the "common-sense people". It was an instinctive reaction. Whether it's justified or not is irrelevant. People just don't like being told what to do by interfering outsiders. We are seeing this every day all around the world as people defy CV lockdown rules. In this case we need rules because several areas where we are used to applying common sense (save lives, save jobs, save mental health) overlap and are in conflict with each other. But even where we apply such rules, those imposing them strive to keep things simple ("hands, face, space"). That control too is an area where we apply common sense. And as soon as the vaccines arrive and work, what will be the first response: ditch the unnecessary rules.

Go is not even remotely near being something where areas of common sense conflict. It does not need extra rules. IT IS JUST A GAME.

Post #22 Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:22 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
RobertJasiek wrote:
Common sense like "the simplest, shortest rule text ('a play may not repeat a position') is good enough in practice".

Preferring "the simplest, shortest rule text" is an esthetic choice. But most human communication is 50% redundant. Keeping it simple is a good idea, but not short. And then there is the question of the cognitive difficulty of what is essentially a bookkeeping task. A go board has 3361 possible states, depending on whether a point is empty, occupied by a Black stone, or occupied by a White stone. (OC, not all of those states are legal, but there are a humungous number of potential positions to remember.) Who keeps track of that? We can, however, keep track of a local double ko with only 4 relevant states. Whether the rest of the board is the same or not, we can keep track of by the fact that plays there do not lead to repetitions, else they would be part of the ko or superko. And a local triple ko, where losing one ko loses them all, is easier to keep track of than three separate kos, where losing one does not affect the other two. Besides, a local triple ko has 6 relevant states, while three separate kos have 8. It does not take much complexity to reach human limits. OC, go itself is very complex, but keeping track of the state of the board is a separate task. I submit that it is up to the players as a group to say what they need to keep track of. A rule, no matter how short and simple to state, that does not take into account what it requires of the players is a bad rule. True, it is undesirable to have a game that repeats forever. But a superko rule, of whatever ilk, is not the only solution to that problem. :)

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #23 Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:40 am 
Judan

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 786
Meta-discussion (just a game, Einstein etc.) ignored. (It is a common trick to resort to meta-discussion when lacking arguments for discussion.)

You claim to know what common sense and majority of perceiving it were but you don't prove it. You ignore that common sense prefers fewer rules.

"It does not need extra rules. [...] ditch the unnecessary rules." Then why do argue in favour of extra ko rules? (One or several separate rules for long cycles and hypothetical ko rules are extra rules in Japanese, Korean, Chinese, Ing rules.)

You claim that there would be a common understanding of ko rules in Asia but the opposite is true: different Asian countries have different exceptional ko rules and each Asian country has had different exceptional ko rules in different rulesets. You may be following some idealisation of how you would like to be Asian style ko rules for your understanding of what should be Asian common sense. What are the imagined ko rules of your common sense idealisation?

Post #24 Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:17 am 
Oza

Quote:
You claim that there would be a common understanding of ko rules in Asia but the opposite is true

When lacking arguments for discussion, it is a common trick to resort to saying somebody said something they didn't say.

Go has two kinds of rules. There are the rules of play on the board. Although different versions exist, each version can be kept very simple - imperfect but practical and simple.

There are also administrative rules. For example: komi; what to do in void games; time limits; etc, etc.

There is no common understanding of administrative rules even within a single country. Sponsor A (sponsoring say a league) might decide a triple ko is a draw, half a point each. Sponsor B, sponsoring a knockout, might demand a replay with colours reversed. Sponsor C, also sponsoring a knockout, might demand a replay with colours not reversed. Sponsor C, promoting rule change or standardisation, might demand electronic surveillance and a PhD in reading rulesets.

At one time, pro go in Japan had three komis in operation simultaneously: 0. 4.5, 5.0 and 5.5 (and some amateurs used 6.5).

But all these are administrative rules that fall within the bailiwick of sponsors, administrators and professional guilds. They are not the concern of people who buy a beginner's book to see what the game is like, and then spend their lives playing socially if they do like it.

Quote:
You claim to know what common sense and majority of perceiving it were but you don't prove it. You ignore that common sense prefers fewer rules.

Well, it's common sense that I know what common sense is. It's not something you have to prove. But if you are not used to applying common sense, you say daft things like "You ignore that common sense prefers fewer rules," ignoring that is actually what I said (remember the ditching rules comment?) and ignoring that "few" is not the only necessary attribute: we need to add attributes such as simple, understandable, workable....

Here's a simple test to see whether you are using gumption and common sense or you are being driven by intellectual hubris.

You can play go with an opponent entirely in your heads, just relaying the moves (A4, K11 etc). Or you can use a board and stones. Which method would you use? The much cheaper one with fewer components or t'other? Then ask yourself why you made the choice you did.

Post #25 Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:25 am 
Judan

Again, what are the imagined ko rules of your common sense idealisation?

Post #26 Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:02 am 
Oza

Quote:
Again, what are the imagined ko rules of your common sense idealisation?

You've got to learn to get out of your straightjacket mindset.

I neither set nor imagine any rules. Nor is it the goal of common sense to be ideal. It is to be practical, useful, applicable etc.

The common sense applications for ko anomalies are, for example, accepting whatever rules pros and/or sponsors choose to set in pro tournaments, accepting or not accepting (by choosing whether or not to attend) whatever organisers set in amateur tournaments depending on how much any extra rules trivia one wishes to accept, or, in social games, having a laugh and maybe a beer and a friendly discussion if an anomaly arises. None of them are about controlling other people. What's so hard about any of that? IT IS JUST A GAME.

Post #27 Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:08 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 202
Was liked: 1087
GD Posts: 645
Universal go server handle: herminator
I think Bill makes a good point. In theory, to play superko you need to memorize every board position that has occurred in the current game. An easy task for a computer, an impossibility for humans.

So that's not what we do. In practice, we recognize that there a certain patterns that create repetition. Basic ko, Sending two returning one, eternal life, triple ko, quadruple ko, quintuple ko, etc.

And of course, even among those there are variations. E.g. triple ko might be three basic ko shapes between the same two groups, or it might be a double ko seki combined with another ko.

As humans, it gets ever harder to play the repetition correctly as the cycle gets longer, because we need to memorize more positions that have or have not occurred.

Traditional rules in Asia take the approach to only deal with short cycles of length 2 or 3, basic ko and sending two returning one, and to ignore the ever rarer longer cycles.

New Zealand rules or AGA rules would leave it up to the players to e.g. play a septuple ko, and good luck to them.

I'm sure even the strongest players would, at some point, consider a repetition too complex to play in a reasonable time frame. It's just that the really really long cycles are so rare, that we never have to think about them.

But if you're serious about preferring the "simple" rule, you should be willing to consider whether it is a good idea to have players play the septuple ko. Is a rule set truly "simple" if it asks that of the players?

Post #28 Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:45 am 
Judan

John, thanks for clarifying what you want. When you spoke about common sense, I expected rules (or rules application) that are common among all or most players. Now you clarify that you want to allow a wide range of rules applications, basically whatever is set as rules for a tournament or (implicitly) agreed between players in other games. I see. However, this includes such tournaments with superko. You have expressed your disliking of superko but consider it common sense to accept superko whenever set in the announced rules. I hope I have understood you correctly about this.

Herman, what one wants WRT ability of remembering positions depends on preferences. One can give a high priority to the observation of rarity of hard-to-remember-cycles and conclude that, in practice, superko is perfectly applicable. Or one can give a high priority to the requirement that ko rules must be reasonably applicable even in the rarest case and conclude that superko is not suitable. Etc.

"Traditional rules in Asia take the approach to only deal with short cycles of length 2 or 3, basic ko and sending two returning one, and to ignore the ever rarer longer cycles." No, that's not what Asian ko rules do. It is what my 3-plays-ko-rules do: http://home.snafu.de/jasiek/3_plays.pdf Asian ko rules differ. Chinese ko rules can be interpreted to have a rule for 2 plays, a rule for 3 plays and exceptional rules for more plays. Japanese and Korean rules have a rule for 2 plays, rules for more plays (of which some classify so that 3 plays belongs to a certain class) and exceptional rules.

A rule can be simple to learn but some such simple rules (e.g., superko) can sometimes be hard to apply. You might demand relative simplicity of both the rule and its application.

Post #29 Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:38 am 
Oza

Quote:
common sense, I expected rules (or rules application) that are common among all or most players

It did occur to me that you were misinterpreting "common". I dismissed that idea because I know the English phrase "common sense" is used in German. The very fact that Germans have borrowed the phrase suggest they may have felt the lack of the phrase in their own language. However, I don't know how much it I used, or even whether it is used the same way as we use it. After all, 'fair play' is a similar example of such a borrowing, into various languages, and that has certainly ended up with different meanings from ours.

Was soll es bedeuten? Of the various German close parallels I know, I suspect Vernunft might have been uppermost in your mind (and way off, if so!). Menschenverstand seems a bit closer to empathy to me, unless you qualify it with gesunder - but then that sounds a bit prim. My own preference would be for Hausverstand (or maybe Alltagsverstand). I have not checked, but my guess would be that Hausverstand has even been borrowed into (?American) English as horse-sense, which is passably close to common sense.

What's your personal usage? (And no, I will not accept Hausverstand-1 and Hausverstand-2 :)) Are there any good dialectal versions you (or anyone else) know?

Post #30 Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:12 am 
Judan

"gesunder Menschenverstand" or, with a restricted scope of usage and not applicable here, "Allgemeingut".

Post #31 Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:12 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 9
Was liked: 83
KGS: Pio2001
HermanHiddema wrote:
Traditional rules in Asia take the approach to only deal with short cycles of length 2 or 3, basic ko and sending two returning one, and to ignore the ever rarer longer cycles.

New Zealand rules or AGA rules would leave it up to the players to e.g. play a septuple ko, and good luck to them.

In Japanese rules, a long cycle repetition voids the game.

The difficulty to recognize such a repetition is the same in all rules. If a septuple ko occurs in a game of mine, under Japanese rules, I can pretend that there is no repetition and that this is just a complicated situation that is going to disappear.

John Fairbairn wrote:
It is my view (having translated French rules into English as part of the BGA's decision to adopt AGA rules) that AGA rules failed on one simple issue: superko.

In France, although we are quite picky about rules (many players know that the position of handicap stones is free under French rules), nobody's complaining about superko (well, except me, because NSSK allows immediate recapture in a ko in some cases :D ).
By the way, I like the way British rules avoid this by explicitly forbidding immediate recapture in a ko.