All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Simple Lentear(Go) Rules
Post #1 Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:26 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 1023
Was liked: 30
KGS: Elom, Windnwater
OGS: Elom, Elom0
Online playing schedule: The OGS data looks pretty so I'll pause for now before I change it.
Playing
If there are more than two players, each side has an equal number of stones that together add up to the number of points on the board. For two players, black has a number of stones equal to half the points on the board plus 1. Place seven black stones in the prisoners lid. White has a number of stones equal to half the number of points. If both players have stones in the prisoners lid, an equal number of each are removed until there is only one colour. Alternating turns, each turn a colour places a stone or partial stone not in the prisoners lid on a board of linked points to create a position different to the one after their previous turn. Stones that can be linked to one another along paths of stones same colour are considered a group. Groups become prisoners if they can't be linked to an empty point or partially empty point and it's not their turn. No passes unless a player runs out of time on the clock, after which the person using the next colour must use their time to use one of those colours stones to capture every time a capturing opportunity appears, or splitting into partial stones and playing where captures would have been made by a full stone if there are multiple opportunities, and if a capturing opportunity doesn't appear then the colour passes the turn instead.

Scoring
The game ends when a player has no more stones to play. Each colours points are 2*the number of groups of that colour on the board minus any prisoners of that colour, subtracting an extra half point from white. Then, the points of any group of empty points next to groups of stones that are not adjacent to at least two separate groups of empty points are proportionally shared out according to the number of each colours stones adjacent to an empty point of that group of empty points.

Application
I think this is probably the best possible ruleset that should be used as an Olympic standard. It satisfies the irks of those who sided both Area and Territory rules during the previous attempt.

Post subject: Re: Simple Lentear(Go) Rules
Post #2 Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:24 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 16
Was liked: 62
KGS: Schachus12
What is a partial stone?
Are these rules for the game of go or a different game?
It seens like suicide is allowed, but suicided stones wont be remove until the opponents turn?
If I understand that right, that is really weird( cause the suicide creates a nakade that the other player cannot immediately play in to potentially live, like he could with „normal suicide“

This post by Schachus was liked by: Elom0

Post #3 Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:16 pm 
Lives in sente

Online playing schedule: The OGS data looks pretty so I'll pause for now before I change it.
Schachus wrote:
What is a partial stone?
Are these rules for the game of go or a different game?
It seens like suicide is allowed, but suicided stones wont be remove until the opponents turn?
If I understand that right, that is really weird( cause the suicide creates a nakade that the other player cannot immediately play in to potentially live, like he could with „normal suicide“

Yes, this is Go, and you can scoring it pretty much as you would usually score with territory rules. It's just phrased in a way to add the benefits of Area rules! It's similar to how pros don't actually pass twice at the end of games, but it's in the rules.

Any groups without liberties are removed at the beginning of the opponent's turn, so they're no issues!

Partial stones are basically fractions of a stone that only exist if there are more than 2 players, because 361/4 is 90.25, so each player has a 90 and a quarter of a stone. After a player's time runs out a full stone can be replaced with something to represent it split into multiple equal parts when placing where multiple captures would be made!

Post #4 Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:55 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 22
Was liked: 168
IGS: kvasir
What is "lentear" supposed to mean? :study:

Post #5 Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:05 pm 
Lives in sente

kvasir wrote:
What is "lentear" supposed to mean? :study:

My metophorical name for go, although I forgot to put it in the go name thread. 'Lens' the shape of the playing piece + 'tear' since groups have eyes and the playing pieces are small = Lenstear. Think of Lentils named after it's shape. Add the root len to plural tears and there you have it!

Might this be a better universal name for weiqi/baduk/igo? We'll see.

Post #6 Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:15 pm 
Lives in sente

Ok, but it should use the right case instead of the root. I think the right case is 'lenti', so it could be 'lentitear'.

Post #7 Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:46 am 
Lives in sente

kvasir wrote:
Ok, but it should use the right case instead of the root. I think the right case is 'lenti', so it could be 'lentitear'.

What's 'right case', I guess I have to look that up in linguistics . . . :study:

I prefer Lentitear if it's the linguistically correct version. But then 'lentears' may be easier to say . . .

Post #8 Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:48 pm 
Lives in sente

Elom0 wrote:
What's 'right case', I guess I have to look that up in linguistics . . .

I presumed you knew about grammatical cases since you invoked that 'len' is the root of the Latin noun 'lens'.

Grammatical cases are categories for how nouns are used for different functions. This is achieved using 'declension' (different forms of the same noun) and the use of word order and prepositions as markers. The way declension works is that regular nouns have an identifiable root and a declension type, the root is used as the stem while the declension type identifies what the postfix is that forms the various cases. That is if we are talking regular nouns :tmbup:

Hopefully this already explains why the 'root' of a noun is not sufficient to convey what is meant. In this case you could maybe use different grammatical cases, depending on what exactly you mean. The dative as in 'lentitear' is same way as with 'lenticular', the genitive 'lentistear' could do but it is really just "lens' tear" which makes it a bit redundant as a word. Other declensions work in principle but there are some English words from dative.

So there you have it!

This post by kvasir was liked by: Elom0

Post #9 Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:23 pm 
Lives in sente

Lentitears or perhaps, Tearlenses?

OGS forums made me improve the wording:

1. If there are more than two players, each side has an equal number of stones that together add up to the number of points on the board. For two players, black has a number of stones equal to half the points on the board plus one, with seven of them in the prisoners lid. White has a number of stones equal to half the number of points on the board plus a half, with the half stone being in the prisoners lid.

2a Alternating turns, each turn a colour places a stone or partial stone not in the prisoners lid on a board of linked points to create a position different to the one after their previous turn.

2b Stones that can be linked to one another along paths of stones same colour are considered a group.

2c Groups become prisoners if they can’t be linked to an empty point or partially empty point and it’s not their turn. If no stones have become prisoners during a colours turn and all players have stones in the prisoners lid, an equal number of each are removed until there is only one colour.

3 No passes unless a player runs out of time on the clock, after which the person using the next colour must use their time to use one of those colours stones to capture every time it’s possible, splitting a full stone into equal parts of a stone and playing those parts of a stone where captures would have been made by a full stone if more than one capture could be made, and if a capture isn’t possible then the colour places a stone in the prisoners lid.

Scoring
The game ends when a player has no more stones to play. Each colours score is equal to two times the number of groups of that colour on the board minus any prisoners of that colour.

If groups of stones of different colours are adjacent to each other, and they all are not adjacent to at least two separate groups of empty points. Then any empty points adjacent to more than one of those groups are proportionally shared out according to the number of each colour’s stones adjacent to an empty point of that group of empty points, and added to each players score.

I think this is probably the best possible ruleset that should be used as an Olympic standard.

Post #10 Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:40 am 
Lives in sente

Lentitear and Leadpiece Rules

Paragraph 0:
All games have a total maximum absolute game time that draws the game when exceeded, and additional time limits for each player that should be identical and in total have the possibility to exceed the total maximum absolute game time. Turns consist of directly controlling a location that is directly controlled by another participant. The game ends by agreement or when the allocated total game time runs out, which must be less than the sum of the maximum time each participant can use. Any number of participants take turns, with a clock press ending a participants turn and beginning the next participants turn, to directly control a location. If a participant directly controls locations that are linked to each other, each of those locations are then linked to any other locations they are themselves linked to. Each participants turn, any location that participant either directly controls that is linked with other locations controlled by a different participant where after more than half of those linked locations are controlled by the same participant, that participant loses control or non-control of that location. Taking direct control of the same location as the previous turn when control of each location is the same as the previous turn loses the game. For every location that is not controlled, each participant gets a fraction of that point proportional to the number of their directly controlled locations to the total number of directly controlled locations for which a path along locations that are not directly controlled by any participant and that point exist. Each participant loses a point for every location lost at each unique time. Komi should be represented by representors of control of location.

Comments: In the zeroth paragraph, there is a fully complete Lentitear ruleset that can be used for professional tournaments, while creating a universal game clock system and while laying the groundwork for Movingpiece games whose rules are to be defined in any later paragraphs.

In Xjianggqi, Chess, Shogi, Checkers/Draughts, etc normal procedure is for the first two games of any multi-game match between two participants to have to use the standard setup.