It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chinese rules and suicide moves
Post #1 Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:25 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 22
Was liked: 168
IGS: kvasir
Now that we have completed a thorough analysis of the Japanese rules, is it time for this change of phase? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was browsing a translation of the official Chinese rules when I found article 19. which says the following:

Quote:
19. Forbidden intersection
A move played on a forbidden intersection is deemed
invalid, and the offending player loses one turn.

Then is suicide, without capture, allowed on a technicality? Article 19, interestingly, contradicts article 5 which says players "cannot" make such moves. Diagram 2 has examples of forbidden moves but each time the forbidden move results in a capture and therefore doesn't appear to clarify the matter.

Can such a board move be used as a ko threat, and is the offending board play removed? The rule text appears to be very careful about stating clearly when stones can be removed from the board, yet article 19 does not require the offending move to be removed from the board. :scratch:

The matter of ko threats is especially important(?) because while article 6 defines moves to be forbidden in a ko if a board position is recreated but article 18.3 states clearly that taking in ko is forbidden unless the player making the move has made a ko threat. Thus it is not clear if playing on a forbidden intersection counts as lifting the ban specified in article 18.3 of the legal text or not.

=================================
I'd have posted this in the satire forum if we had one (why is there not a satire forum?) but I also think this discussion matches the actual interests expressed in the latest forum posts in our Go rules forum. So feel free to discuss seriously, if you can :bow: