It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 3:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What do you think about this go variation?
Post #1 Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:56 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
This variation is the chinese version with those changes:

-Simultaneous capture is possible. When you do a simultaneous capture, your stones are captured by the enemy and their stones are captured by you.

-The game need 4 consecutive passes to end the game.
IDEA:Fix the situation when you want to pass and not end the game.

-Scoring works in a different way. You count the number of your stones on the board ONLY and also the numbers of stones you have captured.

-You dont remove the dead stones at the end of the game.
IDEA:To make people need remove those stones.

Last edited by gour on Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Post subject: Re: What do you think about this go variation
Post #2 Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:45 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 29
Was liked: 41
KGS: Laman
hmm, obviously your changes make a playable game. but where do you see advantages compared to current go?

as i understand your scoring, its formulation makes it look quite unusual (discarding territory altogether, huh?), but after considering implications, it occurs to me that you basically reintroduce old Chinese stone scoring (because after playing dame the player continues with filling his territory) with prisoners counting double (once for not adding them to the player's score, once for adding them to the opponent's score)
if i got this right and it is your intention, you could formulate it in a more clear way

so my conclusion is that your variant is go with simultaneous capture (which i am not a fan of), two point tax for a living group and with captures counting double, so all in all i don't find it really great compared to the basic go

I might be wrong, but probably not.

Post #3 Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:40 am 
Beginner

Laman wrote:
with prisoners counting double (once for not adding them to the player's score, once for adding them to the opponent's score)
if i got this right and it is your intention, you could formulate it in a more clear way

Prisioners doenst counts double. It just counts points when you capture from a enemy. The difference from normal go prisioners counting is that when some player do simultaneous capture, its a simultaneous capture, so you capture his stone and he capture your stones.

Post #4 Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:45 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 115
Was liked: 102
KGS: LiKao / Loki
gour wrote:
Laman wrote:
with prisoners counting double (once for not adding them to the player's score, once for adding them to the opponent's score)

Prisioners doenst counts double. It just counts points when you capture from a enemy. The difference from normal go prisioners counting is that when some player do simultaneous capture, its a simultaneous capture, so you capture his stone and he capture your stones.

Then your first post isn't well written. If you get points for every stone on the board(stone scoring) at the end of the game and one additional point for each prisoner this means prisoners are counted twice compared to compared to conventional scoring.

Post #5 Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:31 am 
Beginner

Li Kao wrote:
this means prisoners are counted twice compared to conventional scoring.

Yes thats right, WHEN COMPARED WITH CONVENTIONAL SCORING, prisoners are counted twice.
But this doenst that in my variation that you get 2X points to every prisoner you have + one point to each stone you have on the board.

Post subject: Re: What do you think about this go variation?
Post #6 Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:21 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 4
Was liked: 39
GD Posts: 25
OGS: phillip1882
Quote:
-Scoring works in a different way. You count the number of your stones on the board ONLY and also the numbers of stones you have captured.

what? these two rules don't make much sence. if stones on the board count in my favor, and none of the dead stones are removed; why would i not simply play such that i capture dead stones?
i mean i obviously don't want to give my enemy free points!
also, i don't understand why you wouldn't count territory (empty space). this seems alot like no pass go, except you want to leave all your groups with 2 eyes.
very very odd!

Post subject: Re: What do you think about this go variation?
Post #7 Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:38 pm 
Beginner

phillip1882 wrote:
Quote:

what? these two rules don't make much sence. if stones on the board count in my favor, and none of the dead stones are removed; why would i not simply play such that i capture dead stones?
i mean i obviously don't want to give my enemy free points!

Dont know, but if somehow you dont remove those stones, you dont count it.

phillip1882 wrote:
also, i don't understand why you wouldn't count territory (empty space). this seems alot like no pass go, except you want to leave all your groups with 2 eyes.
very very odd!

To make the players play in the territory area.