Post subject: Chinese 2002 Rules
Post #1 Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:53 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 793
An English translation by Guo Juan of the Chinese 2002 Rules is available here:

http://home.snafu.de/jasiek/c2002.pdf
http://home.snafu.de/jasiek/rules.html

Thanks to everybody, incl. Martin Finke, who has made this possible! The rules (in Chinese) are the current official rules of the Chinese Go Association and will be used during the SportsAccord World Mind Games 2011.

http://www.worldmindgames.net/en/
http://www.sportaccord.com/en/

Post subject: Re: Chinese 2002 Rules
Post #2 Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:05 am 
Judan

§9: "the method of stone counting" is an unfortunate choice of words in view of earlier English rules terms. Usually "stone counting" refers to assessing only stones:
http://home.snafu.de/jasiek/int.html#SpecialCommentsTR

§15 "Ethical behaviour [...] and discipline [...]"
§15.1: What is the meaning of "false moves"? Maybe faking the making of a play but meaning it as a joke and putting the stone back to the bowl?

"Chapter Three - Rules for Referees": Does this heading exist in the Chinese original?

§20.2: Judging from the literal wording, already the first play in a moonshine life is prohibited. Is this the intended meaning or is (in the long cycle variation) the sixth cycle play the first that is prohibited? Possibly the same question could be constructed for §20.3, although the wording there does not necessarily suggest it.

§§21.3+4: "meaningful moves" and "effective moves" are as doubtful as related concepts in J1989 or WMSG2008.

§§21.3+4: They can be perceived to contradict each other to some extent. 21.3 prohibits resumption while 21.4 suggests resumption.

§24.1: Is the penalty of "one stone" a half-counting 1 point or a full-counting 1 point? Does, in the Chinese original, "stone" use the same character as "stone" in §11?

Post #3 Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:22 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 111
Was liked: 315
What did Martin Finke make possible?

Regarding ""the method of stone counting" is an unfortunate choice of words in view of earlier English rules terms.", if this is unfortunate, how do we feel about Positional, Siutuational, and Natural Situational Superko? :)

You seem to take issue with terms relating to standards of behaviour in play, false moves etc, I think that these are to be expected in a professional ruleset.

Post #4 Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:56 pm 
Judan

Javaness2 wrote:
What did Martin Finke make possible?

1) Make me aware of the existence of the translation.

2) Confirm the C2002 usage at SAWMG.

3) Publication of the translation for everybody.

Quote:
if this is unfortunate,

Not if. It is. A term should, if possible, express what it means. "stone counting" used for "Chinese half point counting" does not do so.

Quote:
how do we feel about Positional, Siutuational, and Natural Situational Superko?

Interesting topic worth an extra thread.

Quote:
You seem to take issue with terms relating to standards of behaviour in play, false moves etc, I think that these are to be expected in a professional ruleset.

Currently I am still trying to figure out what the meaning of "false moves" is. Therefore so far I do not make further conclusions.

Post subject:
Post #5 Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:55 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Robert,
This seems to be (one version of) the original:
http://www.weiqi8.com/viewArticle.aspx?id=1224
RobertJasiek wrote:
"Chapter Three - Rules for Referees": Does this heading exist in the Chinese original?
Yes: 第三章 裁判法则
RobertJasiek wrote:
§24.1: ... Does, in the Chinese original, "stone" use the same character as "stone" in §11?
Yes, the same character (子), for stone(s), is used in both §11 and §24.1 in the above version.

Post #6 Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:52 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 201
Was liked: 333
GD Posts: 428
RobertJasiek wrote:

Currently I am still trying to figure out what the meaning of "false moves" is. Therefore so far I do not make further conclusions.

From the context it would seem to mean players conspiring to game the tournament - something like a prearranged draw or colluding beforehand which one of them would win and playing out a fake game to that effect.

Post #7 Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:10 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 201
Was liked: 333
GD Posts: 428
Though I will say I find it interesting that the rules include a stipulation where the referee should be punished! (22.9)

Post #8 Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:06 pm 
Judan

I have found it more interesting that all clocks' flags are red, that eletronic clocks should be audible (gulp!) and that they should count upwards in Ing-clock style instead of good old rocket counting

10...9...Ignition sequence starts...6...5...4...3...2...1...0