Total votes : 20
 Post subject: Re: E-Vote
Post #21 Posted: Sun May 25, 2014 1:47 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 642
Was liked: 490
Universal go server handle: Bantari
RobertJasiek wrote:
Careful verification of voting integrity is not "paranoia" but is a basic, essential aspect of democracy (here: that of the EGF)! Compare a judgement by the German Federal Constitutional Court about rejecting voting machines.

We are talking about a GAME here, not national government responsible for well-being and safety of millions of people.
Just send a password to each member ?GF and ensure each has one vote, and let them figure out locally how to police itself, if at all.

Post #22 Posted: Sun May 25, 2014 2:38 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
Bantari wrote:
RobertJasiek wrote:
Careful verification of voting integrity is not "paranoia" but is a basic, essential aspect of democracy (here: that of the EGF)! Compare a judgement by the German Federal Constitutional Court about rejecting voting machines.

We are talking about a GAME here, not national government responsible for well-being and safety of millions of people.
Just send a password to each member ?GF and ensure each has one vote, and let them figure out locally how to police itself, if at all.

Bantari, you must never forget that if RJ does not have a strict set of rules to live by then he cannot function.

This post by DrStraw was liked by: Bantari

Post #23 Posted: Sun May 25, 2014 2:41 pm 
Gosei

DrStraw wrote:
Bantari wrote:
RobertJasiek wrote:

Bantari, you must never forget that if RJ does not have a strict set of rules to live by then he cannot function.

Very true. He can "move so lifelike that I forget he is not a real boy." ;)
But the rules I present are very strict. One password, one vote! No more, no less. Simple but strict!

Post #24 Posted: Sun May 25, 2014 4:16 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
DrStraw wrote:
...if RJ does not have a strict set of rules to live by then he cannot function.

We all have them to one degree or another. Some are loose, some stricter. But we all have some expectation of how the world behaves, and we are stymied if we find ourselves outside of those expectations.
I know that if I get up and find that the constant of gravity is 9×10-11, I'm going back to bed.

This post by Joaz Banbeck was liked by: Bonobo

Post #25 Posted: Sun May 25, 2014 6:24 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 137
Was liked: 155
Yeah, off topic ranting about paranoia. But wait, who told us just in the other thread to be careful with "communist sponsors", huh? They may even want to change the rules of the game! (Doesn't matter for the US, they use area scoring already.) :scratch:

Post #26 Posted: Mon May 26, 2014 9:12 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 41
RobertJasiek wrote:
Careful verification of voting integrity is not "paranoia" but is a basic, essential aspect of democracy (here: that of the EGF)!

Then, there is lot of scope for improvement in the EGF.

Post #27 Posted: Mon May 26, 2014 12:45 pm 
Gosei

tapir wrote:
Yeah, off topic ranting about paranoia. But wait, who told us just in the other thread to be careful with "communist sponsors", huh? They may even want to change the rules of the game! (Doesn't matter for the US, they use area scoring already.) :scratch:

Assume you talking about me, kid. So let me correct you:
1. I did not tell you or anybody else to be "careful" (can you point a quote?)
2. I even said it was good for Europe (I can point a quote)
3. Never said nothing about "changing the rules of the game" (can you point a quote?)
And that pretty much takes care of every word you wrote in this post.
So please do not put words in my mouth.

Unless this is directed at somebody else, in which case you should really learn to be more clear.

PS>
You try to accuse me of seeing "conspiracies" but you use nothing but lies and misdirections to discredit me - even on other topics, like here. This is really low, even from you. In the meantime, you don't seem to be able to point out a single incorrect or non-factual statement in my post(s). Once you do, we have something to discuss. I might well be wrong on everything I say, and would seriously welcome some meaningful discussion. But as long as you seem to take it personally and spew such BS, I don't see much to talk about.

Post #28 Posted: Mon May 26, 2014 1:44 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 137
Was liked: 155
Bantari wrote:
kid. ... put words in my mouth. ... nothing but lies and misdirections to discredit me

I just wish I could read EGF subforum threads staying approximately on topic, here both drstraw and bantari seem to have fun doing sth. else. The same issue in the other thread, where my point wasn't really about communism, but communicating that I do not want to go further into that weird direction you brought into the conversation. Thanks.

Post #29 Posted: Mon May 26, 2014 2:13 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 111
Was liked: 315
Bantari wrote:
RobertJasiek wrote:

I think that the EGF already asks for the identity of national delegates by email? Maybe I do not remember correctly though.

Post #30 Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:17 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 1
Javaness2 wrote:
I think that the EGF already asks for the identity of national delegates by email? Maybe I do not remember correctly though.

The EGF ask to nominate and give authorisation to representatives in case they are not a board members from the member federations they represent.

I have attended many AGMs, and the discussion on the proposals are sometimes lengthy, but invaluable and indispensable for voting. For instance, how can you possibly make a sound selection for an upcoming EGC host if you have not seen their presentation?

Post #31 Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:07 am 
Gosei

Micha M. wrote:
I have attended many AGMs, and the discussion on the proposals are sometimes lengthy, but invaluable and indispensable for voting. For instance, how can you possibly make a sound selection for an upcoming EGC host if you have not seen their presentation?

For any motion in which too little information was given in advance, I would not then expect the motion to be open for an electronic vote.

Post #32 Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:16 am 
Gosei

Javaness2 wrote:
Micha M. wrote:

For any motion in which too little information was given in advance, I would not then expect the motion to be open for an electronic vote.

Or one can always stream/capture the presentations and collect e-votes in a week or so.

Post #33 Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:59 pm 
Beginner

Still you would not be able to join the discussion.

In addition, the technical upgrade that became necessary would be enormous. You basically needed at least 10 to 20 microphones spread across the room, and you needed two or three cameras. And a team to broadcast everthing. All of this just for watching the discussions, not for participating.

Besides, this meeting is not only about motions and proposals, it it the only time when the representatives meet and discuss -- not just during the meeting, but also during the breaks and afterwards with a pint. Taking into account that the EGF and its members aim to become more professional, the members should really enable themselves to send a representative to the annual meeting. Come on, you are a national association! If the national officials cannot make the trip themselves, why not give at least a grant to your national champion to join the EGC and make him/her come to the meeting.

Javaness2 wrote:

That would probably be the majority of proposals. Just have a look at last year's motions. Many of them were passed on to commissions rather than being voted on. This happens in mutual agreement of all people present. Sometimes people have questions and sometimes parts of the proposals are rephrased or withdrawn.

Bantari wrote:
Or one can always stream/capture the presentations and collect e-votes in a week or so.

The outcome of a vote on a proposal often has immediate impact for the following discussion. If you would allow electrionic votes, you would have to have them in real time.

I liked what some people did last year. One board member was absent, but he handed in his opinion on some motions to all representatives, and the arguments were heard (not just read) and discussed.

This post by Micha M. was liked by: Bantari

Post #34 Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:55 pm 
Gosei

Micha M. wrote:
about motions and proposals, it it the only time when the representatives meet and discuss -- not just during the meeting, but also during the breaks and afterwards with a pint. Taking into account that the EGF and its members aim to become more professional, the members should really enable themselves to send a representative to the annual meeting. Come on, you are a national association! If the national officials cannot make the trip themselves, why not give at least a grant to your national champion to join the EGC and make him/her come to the meeting.

Now that the AGM is no longer held at a weekend, it means that it has become harder to attend. A new constitution is proposed this year, I actually wonder if the meeting be quorate for that, I don't think that it was last year. Most national champions are on the official board for smaller countries :)

Post #35 Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:31 am 
Beginner

Javaness2 wrote:
Now that the AGM is no longer held at a weekend, it means that it has become harder to attend.
Agreed. However....
Quote:
Most national champions are on the official board for smaller countries :)
... this should make it easier to attend. :)

Quote:
A new constitution is proposed this year, I actually wonder if the meeting be quorate for that, I don't think that it was last year.
Last year's problem was that the proposal was raised to late. A constitution change needs to be announced six months in advance. So this year this should be fine.