It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1st Grandslam
Post #1 Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:39 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 6
Was liked: 4
A pretty big weekend for the EGF, 21350 euro to be divided between the top 8 players (if my math is correct). I just have the feeling they are not doing it very well in the PR department. There is literally nothing about it anywhere, not even on the EGF homepage. EuroGoTV website is maybe the only place with a mention. It seems like the EGF is missing a chance to "sell" itself. Also, does anyone know anything about the pairing? The tournament system is on the official website (http://www.eurogofed.org/EuropeanGrandP ... m2015.html), but I cannot find the pairings anywhere. Since it is a knock-out tournament, I presume there is no need to pair on the spot like it is usually done with Swiss/MacMahon tournaments.

Post subject: Re: 1st Grandslam
Post #2 Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:54 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 1589
Was liked: 656
GD Posts: 918
KGS: topazg
Yes, I agree, first I'd heard of it - and is it being streamed anywhere? I want to watch :P

Post #3 Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:00 pm 
Dies with sente

Quote:
The EGF guarantees broadcasting on the web, referees and professional commentary.

Hopefully

Post #4 Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:13 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 1589
Was liked: 656
GD Posts: 918
KGS: topazg
tiger314 wrote:
Quote:
The EGF guarantees broadcasting on the web, referees and professional commentary.

Hopefully

Yes, but I failed to find any streaming sites or anything for it :(

Post #5 Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:18 pm 
Dies with sente

I found this on EuroGoTV website:
Quote:
All games live on EuroGoTV and KGS
accounts EuroGoTV1, 2, 3 and 4
I should have looked there earlier, but one would think it would also be on the tournament website.

This post by tiger314 was liked by: topazg

Post #6 Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:03 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 333
Was liked: 102
Universal go server handle: p2501
One would think this would be published in a broader scale, given the magnitude of this tournament. I guess some people are stuck in their old ways - although I'd rather blame lack of new willing blood, rather than shortcomings of the present old guard. For a normal tournament this would have been fine. But not for a professional tournament.

I had press access to the playing rooms and can post photos if there is interest.

Post #7 Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:10 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 318
Was liked: 345
I think the lack of publicity was a missed opportunity. The prize money was big, and this was the first tournament of its kind.

I also think the lack of live on-line commentary was a missed opportunity. I understand that there was professional commentary in Berlin, but it would have been nice if somebody live broadcast that on KGS. Or better yet, if a pro did it on KGS, him or herself.

To my knowledge there hasn't been an announcement of the results here or on Reddit, two more missed opportunities.

The good news is the was just the first grand slam. We can hope that they will do better next time. Big it up, baby! Try to make the event match the prize money.

Post #8 Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:26 am 
Oza

Liked others: 662
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: Boidhre
I'm surprised this wasn't being broadcast on Twitch.tv with professional and/or high dan commentary attached. Only on KGS or wherever is fine so long as you want to restrict your potential audience to go players.

Post #9 Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:12 am 
Judan

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 786
Local kibitzing was prohibited. IMO, there is too much money for place 1; better distribution would better compensate travel costs of the other Grandslam players. Eberhard Diepgen, a former mayor of Berlin, was a Schirmherr (what is this in English) of the side tournament, of which a few immaterial details were mentioned in a Berliner newspaper. Better than no media, but indeed by far not enough media representation. Instead, there has been good representation of the generous sponsors.

Post #10 Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:19 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 14
Was liked: 153
RobertJasiek wrote:
Schirmherr (what is this in English)

= "patron"

Igo Hatsuyōron #120 (really solved by KataGo)

Post #11 Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:47 am 
Dies with sente

p2501 wrote:
I had press access to the playing rooms and can post photos if there is interest.

Please do, since no videos seem to exist and there are very few pictures of the latter rounds, I think we will all appreciate any pictures you might have.

RobertJasiek wrote:
Local kibitzing was prohibited.

Could you please elaborate? For those of us that weren't there, were there rules more strict than during other top European events?

RobertJasiek wrote:
IMO, there is too much money for place 1

The point is to make the main prize more eye-catching. It is true that chess, for example, seems to distribute prizes more evenly, but tennis grandslams usually have 1st, 2nd and 3rd prize in 4:2:1 ratio like our Grandslam.

Post #12 Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:38 am 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
Boidhre wrote:
I'm surprised this wasn't being broadcast on Twitch.tv with professional and/or high dan commentary attached. Only on KGS or wherever is fine so long as you want to restrict your potential audience to go players.

Anything but twitch... too many ads.

Youtube would be good.

Post #13 Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:09 am 
Dies with sente

oren wrote:
Youtube would be good.

Yeah, YouTube is probably the way to go. If we get Go videos to come up as related to Chess videos, that might be better publicity than everything done in Europe during the last several years. But I am probably just daydreaming :D

Post #14 Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:10 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 333
Was liked: 102
Universal go server handle: p2501
tiger314 wrote:
RobertJasiek wrote:
Local kibitzing was prohibited.

Could you please elaborate? For those of us that weren't there, were there rules more strict than during other top European events?

Only tournament staff, players and press had direct access to the playing rooms.

Post #15 Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:57 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 111
Was liked: 315
Slightly disappointing to see that the Paris Open was organised at the same time. Attendance at both events was almost equal. I guess that Paris didn't want to alter their tradition.

Post #16 Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:45 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 162
Was liked: 15
Universal go server handle: betterlife
Javaness2 wrote:
Slightly disappointing to see that the Paris Open was organised at the same time. Attendance at both events was almost equal. I guess that Paris didn't want to alter their tradition.

It must be disappointing for Paris as some strong players didn't go there. I guess it will be difficult to have only one big tournament at a 3 days weekend like easter!

Some photos of the event https://www.flickr.com/photos/hvdkrogt/ ... 758549626/

The results: http://www.eurogofed.org/EuropeanGrandP ... ml#results

Post #17 Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:04 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 683
Was liked: 138
Universal go server handle: Splatted
oren wrote:
Boidhre wrote:

Anything but twitch... too many ads.

Youtube would be good.

Twitch only runs 1 add when you enter a channel. If you're seeing additional adds it's because the owners of the channels you visit choose to play them so it's still a good streaming choice for low add communities. I've never watched a youtube stream though so I can't comment on any comparative merits.

Post #18 Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:27 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 180
Was liked: 151
GD Posts: 422
KGS: komi
Splatted wrote:
Twitch only runs 1 add when you enter a channel. If you're seeing additional adds it's because the owners of the channels you visit choose to play them so it's still a good streaming choice for low add communities. I've never watched a youtube stream though so I can't comment on any comparative merits.

No shortage of ads on youtube

Post #19 Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:18 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 162
Was liked: 15
Universal go server handle: betterlife
Some more photos, thanks to p2501!

http://www.eurogofed.org/galleries/grandslam2015.html#p2501

This post by betterlife was liked by: Bonobo