It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: EGF AGM 2015 my wishlist
Post #1 Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:39 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 6
Was liked: 4
Since there is an EGF AGM coming up soon, I thought it would be a good idea to create a personal AGM wishlist. Please comment if you agree with me or if you think I got something wrong. I am looking forward to reading your suggestions.

Dear Santa, :D
I would like the AGM to:

(Regarding internet games rating, from top of the proposal down)

Make the D category have a weight of 0.25. If it were 0.1, it would make a five round online tournament have a smaller impact than a single offline game with the same time limits. That would make the whole introduction of class D next to meaningless.

Allow players who prove they are a member of at least one EGF member association/federation to participate, even if association/federation membership is a requirement. Otherwise, international events like http://www.wbaduk.com/event/european/intro.asp will be unrated, which seems a waste of opportunity.

Remove the rule prohibiting organizers from offering prize money. If someone is willing to sponsor a tournament, why does that tournament have to be unrated (we all know what the choice will be when it comes to: offering prize money vs. making the tournament rated). The executive is proposing unnecessary restrictions here. Plus, the EGF already has rated online games with prize money, the European Team Championship.

Make the treatment of unrated players at online tournaments similar to the treatment at offline tournaments. While in theory at an offline tournament you can test the player's ability during registration, I am pretty sure that most of the time there is simply no time to do so and the organizers have to trust someone's or that player's estimate of rank.

Rewrite the rule regarding late arrivals. Firstly, as it stands, it does not (when literally interpreted) allow both players to lose if neither player turns up. Secondly (and not as importantly) it sounds like zero tolerance to late arrivals, which will look very amusing next to the standard waiting time equal to the whole basic time (or 60 minutes). I personally like "The organizer shall declare the time by which all players must show up for each round. Any player failing to do so loses their game".

Add explicitly that the rating of online games will be submitted to a new vote at the AGM 2017. This would allow the system to end after the declared experimentation period of two years, if the AGM decides so. The current wording of the proposal would make the experimental period end in autumn 2017 but be the subject of the AGM in 2018.

Remove the whole recommendation list, because most of it doesn't even make sense. Just issue non-binding recommendations as a side document: the regulations of anything should only include clear binding rules. A separate "guide" document would make the main document easier to navigate and better in terms of precision and unambiguity.

(Regarding other things)

Decide whether a senior championship should be held and if yes, decide the minimal age and possibly additional categories. The executive should be asked to work out all the details (exact dates of birth required, tournament system, conditions of participation...) in time for the next AGM.

Instruct and allow the executive to remove all parts of the "Tournament Rules of the European Go Championship" made redundant by the new "European individual Championship System". Both documents should then be published on the EGF website as current documents. This would fix a situation where currently parts of the "Tournament Rules of the[...]" are in force, while other parts are not, while the whole document is labeled "Previous Tournament Rules[...]".

Thanks for reading the whole thing :tmbup:

Post subject: Re: EGF AGM 2015 my wishlist
Post #2 Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:28 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 642
Was liked: 490
Universal go server handle: Bantari
Dear Santa,
Please exist!

Post #3 Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:32 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 9
Was liked: 23
The British Go Association supports using 0.25 (as per our original proposal) for rating weighting.

We're not in favour of allowing members of a different EGF member to be include for this experimental period, since this would increase the burden on the organising member significantly.

We're ambivalent about the prize money issue.

We think the issue of late arrivals should be the responsibility of the tournament organiser, since it depends on how the tournament is actually scheduled.

-------------

Of course, simplifying all EGF documents would be nice, as would having them written in English as the English would write them, so that they're less ambiguous and use terms in their normal English manner...

Post #4 Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:35 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 111
Was liked: 315
what is this jealous Finnish motion? :)

Post #5 Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:52 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 111
Was liked: 315
The delay in implementing internet ratings feels very much like an insult to democracy to me. On the other hand, I don't really agree with having internet games count towards rating. Leaving aside that they are not really played under tournament conditions, not more than 10 days ago I saw a case of player impersonation in an official event. What about the proposal itself though?

Point 7 seems dubious - isn't it better to say that all games must be public?
Point 9: I agree that this removes the prize fund from the Euro Team Championship.
Point 10: Players with no rating should have their level evaluated by the national organisation running the tournament. Each evaluation should also be documented. Similiarly, players wishing to enter at a rank which will cause a rank reset should have to seek permission from the national organisation running the tournament.