It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: EGD Guide?
Post #1 Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:10 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 111
Was liked: 315
Is there any guide on how to submit tournament results to the European Go Database?

Recently I saw a question like "Do I need to notify the EGF in advance if I want to have a Class A tournament." It's the sort of typical question you can expect to see from somebody new to tournament organising. Yet, there is no central reference point for questions like that anywhere. Maybe there has never been a need for that. Instead new organisers are told just ask Mr X / Mr Y (depending on which country you are from) who knows about these things.

There are four countries in Europe which have zero tournament entries in the EGD. If an open source of information existed, maybe that wouldn't be the case.
[*]Armenia
[*]Kazakhstan
[*]Georgia
[*]Iceland

Post subject: Re: EGD Guide?
Post #2 Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:46 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 6
Javaness2 wrote:
Is there any guide on how to submit tournament results to the European Go Database?
[*]Kazakhstan

Kazakhstan is a country mostly in Asia (it has 1,533 kilometres (953 mi) border with China according to Wikipedia).

But the answer to the question is yes, it's here http://europeangodatabase.eu/EGD/EGF_ra ... ubmissions
Quote:
"Do I need to notify the EGF in advance if I want to have a Class A tournament."

http://europeangodatabase.eu/EGD/EGF_ra ... ubmissions reads:

EGF recognizes four tournament categories: class A: well organized tournament, recognized by EGF member

Post #3 Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:03 am 
Gosei

I think that this guide could be improved somewhat. More generally though, I wanted to say shouldn't there be an FAQ for such common organisational questions.

If these four countries have played tournaments, but never submitted the results to the EGF rating system, that strikes me as strange. Remember that Martin Stiassny was a member of the Kazakh federation, we know that since he held its vote one year at the EGF's AGM.

The phrase "well organised tournament" is understood differently across Europe, and in the Asian bits of Europe as well. :)

Post #4 Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:18 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 6
Javaness2 wrote:
I think that this guide could be improved somewhat.

The phrase "well organised tournament" is understood differently across Europe, and in the Asian bits of Europe as well. :)

The phrase "recognized by EGF member" gives this to the members - and there you get the knowledge and the service that the member organization submits it for you - at least in Germany that works great - Martin L. is doing a great job checking the results and push them to the database - and the member organization is also place where problems can be discussed and fixed.

Post #5 Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:36 pm 
Gosei

Germany is an example of a country where the are many people who are experienced organisers. Somebody new will easily have somebody to turn to for support.
In other countries that is not the case. That's the point I am trying to make.

Post #6 Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:10 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 41
Quote:
class A: well organized tournament, recognized by EGF member

This text has originated from my keyboard over 15 years ago. It enables a player to file a complaint about the tournament class, if he thinks the tournament was badly organised. I haven't heard about any case, where it had happened.