It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: EGC 2023 Ukraine
Post #1 Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:09 am 
Judan

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 786
According to https://www.eurogofed.org/calendar/ the European Go Congress 2023 is planned in Kamianets-Podilskyi, Ukraine. For the simple reason that the life of at least one participant is endangered, why has the European Go Federation still not cancelled this country for the venue?

Post subject: Re: EGC 2023 Ukraine
Post #2 Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:26 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 22
Was liked: 168
IGS: kvasir
The host of the EGC is decided by the annual meeting, usually years in advance, and I don't see who would cancel this event unless the Ukrainians relinquish it. The host takes on considerable organizational burden and financial liability, what I am trying to say is that I think there are many that think such decision should be deferred to the host for as long as possible.

Post #3 Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:52 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 9
Was liked: 23
It's far too soon to make such a determination.

They need to wait at least 3 months to evaluate the situation and probably ought to wait until the AGM in July before making any decision.

Of course, one would hope that planning for an alternative location takes place in parallel with any decision. Probably not in Russia though.

Post #4 Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:15 am 
Judan

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 786
If the EGF loses control over the choice of country of a congress by granting a congress to a country, it needs to alter its constitution enabling the EGF to withdraw a congress from a country in case of emergency. For such, actions need to take place before the deadline of 2022 AGM motions. 1) Motion to alter the constitution. 2) Motion to withdraw the 2023 congress country.

Post #5 Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:31 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 22
Was liked: 168
IGS: kvasir
RobertJasiek wrote:
If the EGF loses control over the choice of country of a congress by granting a congress to a country, it needs to alter its constitution enabling the EGF to withdraw a congress from a country in case of emergency. For such, actions need to take place before the deadline of 2022 AGM motions. 1) Motion to alter the constitution. 2) Motion to withdraw the 2023 congress country.

This is not true, maybe it is a misunderstanding. It is for example possible to hold a special general meeting, it is also possible to hold a straw poll to choose an alternative as was done last time the host withdrew. This is not a real problem.

The host is very competent and has better information about the situation than anyone else. We should consider their advise before anything else. I don't think it is right to jump the gun in this way.

I think we should also not forget what the Ukrainians are going through and the crime that is being committed. I doubt any of our worries or difficulties regarding the EGC merit a comparison. Hopefully this war will be long over when the EGC is held in 2023 and there is enough time to plan contingencies.

This post by kvasir was liked by: Harleqin

Post #6 Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:46 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 177
Was liked: 491
I doubt that the Ukrainians are thinking much about EGC 2023 at the moment.