It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: EGC 2011 - European Go Congress
Post #21 Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:44 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 202
Was liked: 1087
GD Posts: 645
Universal go server handle: herminator
Yes, it should be B+2.5, not W+2.5, Nikola won the game.

Post #22 Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:08 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
GD Posts: 100
KGS: bazilxp
HermanHiddema wrote:
Yes, it should be B+2.5, not W+2.5, Nikola won the game.

Fixed this ISSUE

Post #23 Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:19 am 
Beginner

Was liked: 0
GD Posts: 100
KGS: bazilxp
bazilxp wrote:
Cornel Burzo, provided his games from EGC2011 http://gokifu.com/player/Cornel+Burzo Main 5 rounds + team championship .

Blitz Final
http://gokifu.com/s/mdb - Jan Simara(5d)-Ilya_Shikshin(7d)(w) W+R
http://gokifu.com/s/mda - Jeon Sang Young(7d) - Christian Pop(7d) (w) W+T

# Main Event Round 1-5

Timur Sankin, contributed his games
http://gokifu.com/player/Timur%20Sankin

Post #24 Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:51 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 333
Was liked: 102
Universal go server handle: p2501
Inredible how Catalin won today, everyone on kgs counted him out in the midgame. So impressive.

Post #25 Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:19 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 31
Was liked: 12
GD Posts: 259
p2501 wrote:
Inredible how Catalin won today, everyone on kgs counted him out in the midgame. So impressive.

Korean on the first board won by .5 and Korean on the second board lost by .5 :)

Post #26 Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:28 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 193
Was liked: 83
GD Posts: 56
KGS: hopjesvla
By the way, is it correct that after seven rounds the top eight Europeans will play a knockout for the title? Strangely, I don't see mention of such a knockout anywhere, though I do recall it being announced here.

When in doubt, play the most aggressive move

Post #27 Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:55 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 29
Was liked: 41
KGS: Laman
gaius wrote:
By the way, is it correct that after seven rounds the top eight Europeans will play a knockout for the title? Strangely, I don't see mention of such a knockout anywhere, though I do recall it being announced here.

yes, you are correct. spectators discussed it in one of kgs broadcasts today. rules are for example at egf page and also somewhere at egc2011.eu

I might be wrong, but probably not.

Post #28 Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:53 pm 
Gosei

Laman wrote:
gaius wrote:

yes, you are correct. spectators discussed it in one of kgs broadcasts today. rules are for example at egf page and also somewhere at egc2011.eu

Some more details, based on the current standings:

Players will need at least 39 McMahon points (i.e. at least 5 wins out of 7 games) to qualify for the knock-out, which means that anyone in place 19 or lower (i.e. those top players with at least 3 losses already) is out of the running for the title. All other players have their placement in their own hands.

At the top there are three European players that already have 39 points: Ondrej Silt, Ilja Shikshin and Catalin Taranu. From the group in places 5-18, the fourteen players with with 38 points, an additional six or seven players will reach 39 points (six if Jeon Sang Youn wins his game, seven if he loses). In total, there will therefore be nine or ten players on at least 39 points.

If there are nine such players, the highest seven (based on SOS, then rating) are qualified automatically, while the lowest two will play a relegation game on Wednesday to determine which one of them also enters the knock-out. If there are ten such players, the highest six are qualified automatically, while the lowest four will play in a relegation game on Wednesday for the remaining two places.

The pairing at the top for the next round is obvious: Ondrej will play Catalin, while Ilja plays against Kim. The winner of the first game will have 40 points and run no risk of a relegation game on Wednesday. If Ilja wins against Kim, he will also avoid the risk of a relegation game.

For the next group, those in places 5-18, the pairing is not clear yet, it depends on how the pairing program is set.

This post by HermanHiddema was liked by: Laman

Post #29 Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:01 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 193
Was liked: 83
GD Posts: 56
KGS: hopjesvla
HermanHiddema wrote:
At the top there are three European players that already have 39 points: Ondrej Silt, Ilja Shikshin and Catalin Taranu. From the group in places 5-18, the fourteen players with with 38 points, an additional six or seven players will reach 39 points (six if Jeon Sang Youn wins his game, seven if he loses). In total, there will therefore be nine or ten players on at least 39 points.

Wow. Good luck to the one who gets to play Jeon. This is a moment where you do NOT want to be paired against a Korean 7-dan...

When in doubt, play the most aggressive move

Post #30 Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:27 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 333
Was liked: 102
Universal go server handle: p2501
HermanHiddema wrote:
Laman wrote:
gaius wrote:

Some more details, based on the current standings:

Players will need at least 39 McMahon points (i.e. at least 5 wins out of 7 games) to qualify for the knock-out, which means that anyone in place 19 or lower (i.e. those top players with at least 3 losses already) is out of the running for the title. All other players have their placement in their own hands.

If there are nine such players, the highest seven (based on SOS, then rating) are qualified automatically, while the lowest two will play a relegation game on Wednesday to determine which one of them also enters the knock-out. If there are ten such players, the highest six are qualified automatically, while the lowest four will play in a relegation game on Wednesday for the remaining two places.

The pairing at the top for the next round is obvious: Ondrej will play Catalin, while Ilja plays against Kim. The winner of the first game will have 40 points and run no risk of a relegation game on Wednesday. If Ilja wins against Kim, he will also avoid the risk of a relegation game.

For the next group, those in places 5-18, the pairing is not clear yet, it depends on how the pairing program is set.

I don't think non europeans can go into the knockout group even with sufficient points. Or can they?

Post #31 Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:17 am 
Lives in gote

p2501 wrote:
I don't think non europeans can go into the knockout group even with sufficient points. Or can they?

no, they can't (for obvious reasons, to decide a European champion). and i don't think that anything in HermanHiddema's post implies that non-Europeans could qualify

Post #32 Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:21 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 1589
Was liked: 656
GD Posts: 918
KGS: topazg
Laman wrote:
p2501 wrote:

no, they can't (for obvious reasons, to decide a European champion). and i don't think that anything in HermanHiddema's post implies that non-Europeans could qualify

How are prizes being assigned this year?

Post #33 Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:26 am 
Gosei

BTW, in my opinion this knock-out seems to be working out quite well. Some thoughts:

No European player seems to be particularly disadvantaged. There will be one or two players who would have had a one point head start under the old system (Catalin or Ondrej, and potentially Ilja), but even under the old system they would have needed to win the remaining three games to be sure of the title (With 2/3 they would have entered the SOS lottery that was so common in recent years). Those with 5/7 would definitely have needed to win the remaining three games. Given that, the KO looks very fair. With the KO, you also need to win the remaining three games, but there will never be a SOS lottery.

As to the non-European players, it seems quite fair to them too. They have had 7 rounds to play against the best that Europe has to offer, and even in the remaining three rounds there will be sufficient interesting opponents. For round 7, Kim would normally have been paired with a player on 39 points (as he's already played Catalin, Ilja and Ondrej). Given the fact that there will be at least on relegation game between players with 39 points, there is a good chance that the loser of that game will face Kim, so Kim's pairing is unaffected. As to Jeon's pairing, it still depends on his current round result, but he too will probably be paired against a sufficiently strong player (players like Svetlana Shikshina or Mero Csaba are close behind, as are those from the top 18 who lose this round).

All in all, it seems to be working out fine, at least for this year. I'm very interested to hear the opinions of the top players about this.

Post #34 Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:22 am 
Gosei

Anyone know the result of the game between Kachanovskyi and Balogh? It is the only result missing from the top, and one of these two players will join the other eight already on 39 points and be in the running to win the title.

Other than that, the following eight players are still in the runnning:

Taranu, Silt, Shikshin, Mitic, Debarre, Dinerchtein, Burzo and Surin.

Surin has very low SOS, and will have to play a play-off on Wednesday. Either against Burzo, if Kachanovskyi won the game I asked about, or against Balogh, if Balogh won it.

Post #35 Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:36 am 
Oza

Liked others: 304
Was liked: 631
Laman wrote:
p2501 wrote:

no, they can't (for obvious reasons, to decide a European champion).

Will they be using blood tests or craniometry to determine which players are European?

Post #36 Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:12 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 69
Was liked: 25
HermanHiddema wrote:
Anyone know the result of the game between Kachanovskyi and Balogh? It is the only result missing from the top, and one of these two players will join the other eight already on 39 points and be in the running to win the title.

Artem won :

Post #37 Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:21 am 
Lives in gote

jts wrote:
Will they be using blood tests or craniometry to determine which players are European?

no, passport will do the job. and i don't think it is any more unreasonable (as one could feel from your tone) than not allowing Brazil to participate in European football championship

Post #38 Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:26 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 163
Was liked: 24
KGS: 4kyu
Isn't it more like allowing Brazil to participate but then saying that they aren't allowed to win?

Post #39 Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:43 am 
Lives in gote

Was liked: 114
jts wrote:
Laman wrote:
p2501 wrote:

no, they can't (for obvious reasons, to decide a European champion).

I'd guess they'll use something more conventional such as 'have they lived in Europe for X years?', or 'do they have citizenship of a European country'. I don't see why this would be a problem.

Post #40 Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:48 am 
Gosei

lorill wrote:
HermanHiddema wrote:

Artem won

Thanks!

So, if I read the rules correctly, that means that we will see a relegation game between Surin and Burzo on Wednesday.

I ran my program to determine optimal pairings (according to the new EGC rules) for the quarter finals, and the result is:

Kachanovskyi - Silt
Taranu - Burzo/Surin
Mitic - Dinerchtein
Shikshin - Debarre

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next