It is currently Fri May 31, 2024 5:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Games I played and stuff
Post #121 Posted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:21 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 137
Was liked: 68
KGS: Unusedname
Hey dude welcome back :]
Thanks for the comments.

:b14: oh yeah duh extend from a wall. That's like opening 101. :/

:b24: I was sure this was threatening since his ponuki was a false ponuki. but maybe it was too soon..

:b42: I don't know that either looks better. The only reason that move stuck out to me was because E15 makes the pretty three knights shape. haha

:b60: hmm yes C does seem to royally disrupt white's group. So maybe playing away at :b48: wasn't so bad :D

:b62: ahh my thought was it helped to prevent my stones from being cut apart. but C would have been stronger. I should have seen how weak that group could have been.

:b64: doesn't work. But it is the first one I thought of :] I do think the diagnol you suggested earlier would have been better though.

var b116 Thank you I don't know why I couldn't see this move.

Attachments:
bekkamu-unusedname.sgf [3.95 KiB]
Downloaded 316 times
3ami2-unusedname-2.sgf [2.24 KiB]
Downloaded 311 times

Last edited by Unusedname on Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post #122 Posted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:11 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 490
Was liked: 365
Unusedname wrote:
:b24: I was sure this was threatening since his ponuki was a false ponuki. but maybe it was too soon..

A Ponnuki, even if it does not make an eye, is a pretty resilient shape. On top of that White has access to the center here so unless you can surround him with the next move he has no real reason to answer locally.

Unusedname wrote:
:b42: I don't know that either looks better. The only reason that move stuck out to me was because E15 makes the pretty three knights shape. haha

I think the idea to seperate White's two groups is good. But the Keima-shape can be easier cut than the one-point-jump, so I think the normal jump may be stronger.

Unusedname wrote:
:b60: hmm yes C does seem to royally disrupt white's group. So maybe playing away at :b48: wasn't so bad :D

Well, playing away with :b48: gave White the chance to complicate the game and he profited big time at the top because of that. Simply descending would have lead to an easier game for Black ; )

Unusedname wrote:
:b64: doesn't work. But it is the first one I thought of :] I do think the diagnol you suggested earlier would have been better though.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by it does not work. White can't severly cut Black because you answer L14 with M15 and when White pushes further you can block quite safely. You will not completely contain White but you will strengthen your corner group in the process and keep the attack.

Post #123 Posted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:43 pm 
Lives in gote

Quote:

A Ponnuki, even if it does not make an eye, is a pretty resilient shape. On top of that White has access to the center here so unless you can surround him with the next move he has no real reason to answer locally.

Ah good point.

Quote:
I think the idea to seperate White's two groups is good. But the Keima-shape can be easier cut than the one-point-jump, so I think the normal jump may be stronger.

Hmm I suppose this is something to think about.

Quote:
Well, playing away with :b48: gave White the chance to complicate the game and he profited big time at the top because of that. Simply descending would have lead to an easier game for Black ; )

Aha Also an excellent point.

Quote:
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by it does not work. White can't severly cut Black because you answer L14 with M15 and when White pushes further you can block quite safely. You will not completely contain White but you will strengthen your corner group in the process and keep the attack.

Actually this is a point brought up to me before. Shows how well I internalized that lol.
Hmmm....

Post #124 Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:15 pm 
Lives in gote

I keep telling myself I'll play more calmly

Yet every game I find myself feeling like it's "Urgent" to invade everywhere.

And surprise weak groups all over the place.

Grumble grumble grumble.

Post #125 Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:32 pm 
Gosei

Count ; )

This post by SoDesuNe was liked by: Unusedname

Post #126 Posted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:36 am 
Oza

Liked others: 157
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: skydyr
Online playing schedule: When my wife is out.
Unusedname wrote:
I keep telling myself I'll play more calmly

Yet every game I find myself feeling like it's "Urgent" to invade everywhere.

And surprise weak groups all over the place.

Grumble grumble grumble.

Victory! :mrgreen:

More seriously, I run into this as well, and get myself into terrible (for me) fights. Counting helps, but I think part of the problem getting past it may be that, past a certain point, there are players against whom you can play that way and it works, so you don't get steady negative reinforcement. I'm still trying to fix it too. Sometimes I will approach a game with the express intent of playing peacefully, and winning by just enough.

Post #127 Posted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:25 am 
Lives in gote

Bwahaha

I think I've already been negatively enforced.
How do I cleanse myself from thinking all my territory is temporary and all my opponents is solid.

That might make my counting more... effective.

Post #128 Posted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:56 am 
Oza

Of course, playing more peacefully sometimes means I try and be balanced and miss the relatively obvious way to end the game quickly, as by consolidating a bit of territory instead of jumping in and ravaging the opponents' moyo. I have a game I can show you at some point from the Congress that is a good example of this.

Post #129 Posted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:03 am 
Lives in gote

skydyr wrote:
Of course, playing more peacefully sometimes means I try and be balanced and miss the relatively obvious way to end the game quickly, as by consolidating a bit of territory instead of jumping in and ravaging the opponents' moyo. I have a game I can show you at some point from the Congress that is a good example of this.

Ah. I wish I got into that situation, when the winning move was just a slow solidifying move.

I would like to see such a game. Please post it whenever you get the chance.

Post #130 Posted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:37 am 
Oza

Unusedname wrote:
skydyr wrote:

Ah. I wish I got into that situation, when the winning move was just a slow solidifying move.

I would like to see such a game. Please post it whenever you get the chance.

Well, honestly, ravaging the moyo was the winning move I didn't play, because then my opponent would have been left with no territory. Easy resignation. What I did prolonged it to the end and only left me about 8 points ahead if I remember it right. I've got the game on paper, so I'll try and copy it this evening.

Post #131 Posted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:40 am 
Oza

One other thing that helped me in the past was only counting solid territory... basically 3rd line territory without a lot of defects, and higher lines if it's rock solid. Anything moyoish or with decent aji doesn't count.

Post #132 Posted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:17 pm 
Oza

Here's the game I was thinking of: I'd forgotten about the early fight, but there were quite a few sequences where I could have put away the game, around move 90 and around move 117, for example, where I didn't.

After the last move, I think I was in byo-yomi and started skipping moves, so I stopped this record there, but the game is basically over.

Attachments:
2013openr4.sgf [1.08 KiB]
Downloaded 607 times

Post #133 Posted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:25 pm 
Lives in gote

skydyr wrote:
One other thing that helped me in the past was only counting solid territory... basically 3rd line territory without a lot of defects, and higher lines if it's rock solid. Anything moyoish or with decent aji doesn't count.

Ah yes but what about like half points. Idk the thing I read about counting was really strange...

Yeah I can see in that game how jumping in would have been better than solidifying. :b89: could have a case about preventing white playing there in sente.

But :b93: was taking so little.

Hehe I still think winning by 8 is as good as a resignation :p So i'm not certain that either move was "better" than the other. Just that they would have been different games.

Post #134 Posted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:42 pm 
Oza

Unusedname wrote:
Hehe I still think winning by 8 is as good as a resignation :p So i'm not certain that either move was "better" than the other. Just that they would have been different games.

Well, it depends on how late in the game one is ahead by 8, but I feel like it's quite possible to make mistakes at our level (and much stronger) that are bigger than that from a won position.

Post #135 Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:08 pm 
Lives in gote

"If it runs it's running into his area"

"too soon to be concerned about territory"

some thoughts from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuWuXj2V6Rk which I should have more often.

Allowing a group to be weak might be okay if it is being chased through my opponents territory.

Don't think too hard about territory in the opening.
It's fine to sort of plan where you want it to come from, but don't get too attached.

Post #136 Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:26 pm 
Lives in gote

101 Fighting video by Sibicky.

It's super basics but I still like watching them to see how he teaches ddk.
Even at 3kyu it gives me new ways to think about things I should know o___o

"liberty fights vs. space fights"

There are two kinds of fights. Fights where liberties are more important, and fights where space is more important.

"Attacking vs. fighting."

The difference between being in a fight and being attacked.
When you are trying to pick a fight with someone make sure they have something at risk otherwise you are just being attacked.

"General Rule for Fighting in the Opening"

1 vs 1 tenuki okay
2 vs 1 no tenuki
3 vs 1 tenuki

"black stone here I want to fight here."

This one is still kind of fuzzy for me.

I still have trouble remembering that it's a strong play to pincer on the side that has 4-4 support across the board.
And that's supposed to be super basic too. >_>

Post #137 Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:04 am 
Lives in gote

A lucky win for confidence

But I have some questions on how I play and think about the opening (SODESUNE! your forte!!)

:b9:

:b27:

After that it's just me being bad at L&D

Attachments:
koij-unusedname.sgf [4.2 KiB]
Downloaded 542 times

Post #138 Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:31 am 
Gosei

Some comments, which could be totally or partly wrong since I'm just a weak 1-dan : )

Post #139 Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:14 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 61
Was liked: 250
:b15: is usually one space farther (territory) or one space closer (thickness). After this move, I think the W push at E7 is good, letting W enlarge his moyo at negligible cost. The stone at C9 ends up poorly placed.

B play around :b27: seems fine to me. I would be reluctant as B to force at K15, as that helps W eliminate the aji around L17. I do not think the three B stones are very weak. The fight after :b31: is difficult for both sides, maybe a bit more difficult for B but playable. The suggestion to cut at C16 and take the corner is a good idea, simplifying the position and avoiding the difficult fight.

:b41: should just hane at H13. If W cuts, B squeezes outside for a good result. :b43: at H14 would be another way to avoid getting enclosed.

:b61: could be at H11 to get a good squeeze, without creating any ladder aji. :w66: could be at M6 to keep the ladder broken. The trade up to :b71: seems better for B, unless the upper side actually dies.

:b79: could connect underneath to live, but I am not sure the game move is wrong. :b81: at C18 would preserve more B liberties than the game move, for a better capturing race. I did not read out all variations, but it looks good for B.

This post by mitsun was liked by: Unusedname

Post #140 Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:54 pm 
Lives in gote

the computer i use to play league of legends just broke
so i'm probably going to come back to go haha

uh hmmm things i can bring over that I learned from League...

the inchworm theory!
how blitz games can probably up my C game.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next