It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 521 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
 Post subject: Re: Path to 9Dan, step by step.
Post #501 Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:51 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 51
Was liked: 40
Actually, for the Kyu ranks I was referring to KGS. I started on KGS and went through the Kyus before moving over to Tygem. I remember I was doing alright vs 2-3Ds on KGS while playing against 4Ds on Tygem, so I’d imagine I’m around a 3D on KGS now.

I think if anyone can break 3D on Tygem or 1D on KGS (which is closer to EGF), they should be able to hit 7D+ on KGS/Tygem/Fox/EGF (honestly at that point the players are relatively similar imo despite the server/algorithm differences)

If this is the case, I wonder what’s blocking people from improving? What is the difference between the dan players vs those who stay as permanent kyus?

Post #502 Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:25 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
I agree with Justin - I think people can get to 8-9d Fox or Tygem with effort. But it's purely hypothetical, because most people won't give the effort to come close. For a lot of people, getting to that rank means saying "no" to many other things in life. You can't play go casually or study a couple of hours a day and expect that kind of result. You'd have to eat into family time, other hobbies, time wasted on the internet, and going out to see friends.

It's not worth it - not by a long short for most people.

So yeah, I think that in theory people "could" get to that rank. But they won't. We all die someday, and most people don't value go enough to spend all of their time on it.

I think I saw on zchen's KGS profile once something to the effect of, "You get what you want in life". I mostly agree - at least with the things you have control over.

Post #503 Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:03 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 177
Was liked: 491
When I participate in competitions (mainly in France), I sometimes look at profile pages of other players, and at every level between EGF 9k and 8d I see people who have been stuck there for years despite participating in many competitions. So there is no level x such that if you passed x then you can reach x+5 or something. This is not specific to go but also applies in other games, sports, music, math, foreign language, or whatever other activity that requires years of practice.

Limiting factors in go are:
  • Starting age: the younger the better.
  • Talent: some people are able to memorize games, life and death positions, josekis,... easily. Other people study a sequence and forget it the next week.
  • Willingness to change bad habits and to put in effort at each game or at each go problem.
  • Willingness and ability to detect mistakes and to correct them.
  • Time.

This post by jlt was liked by: dfan

Post #504 Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:45 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 270
Was liked: 147
Universal go server handle: gennan
hl782 wrote:
I think if anyone can break 3D on Tygem or 1D on KGS (which is closer to EGF), they should be able to hit 7D+ on KGS/Tygem/Fox/EGF (honestly at that point the players are relatively similar imo despite the server/algorithm differences)

Dwyrin is 5d AGA (which I assume is about 4d EGF) and he is 7d on Tygem. He may serve as a indicator for rank comparison between those different platforms.

The difference between 4d EGF (7d on Tygem) and 7d EGF is quite significant IME.
Lumping all those 7d+ players from different platforms together in one group doesn't do justice to the significant and nearly unsurmountable 3-4 stone gap between 4d EGF (fairly strong amateur) and 7d EGF (very strong amateur / "weak" pro).
I think the gap between 4d EGF and 7d EGF is even several times bigger than the gap between 1d EGF and 4d EGF, in terms of the amount of effort required to cross those gaps.

You can see evidence of that in the number of active players per rank in the EGD (the EGF rating database):

8d EGF: ~5 players (including some 2p+ EGF pros)
7d EGF: ~15 players (including some 1p EGF pros)
6d EGF: ~40 players
5d EGF: ~90 players
4d EGF: ~150 players
3d EGF: ~200 players
2d EGF: ~240 players
1d EGF: ~270 players

The ratio between number of players of different levels gives an indication of how difficult it is to pass the barrier in between, how strong of a filter that barrier is.
It may give an indication of how much time it takes to pass the filter above, compared to how much time it takes to pass the filter below.

Now note that there are 10 times more 4d EGF players than 7d EGF players, while there are only 2 times more 1d EGF players than 4d EGF players.
So the filter to pass through when going from 4d EGF to 7d EGF is much tougher than the filter to pass through when going from 1d EGF to 4d EGF.
That's why it seems odd to me to consider 4d EGF "similar" to 7d EGF.

Perhaps you feel that way because the barrier you're facing now is the greatest of all the barriers you've faced until now.
But I think it might wishful thinking that your current barrier is the greatest barrier of them all, including barriers further ahead.

This post by gennan was liked by: Elom0

Post #505 Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:44 pm 
Lives in gote

Idk if I am facing a barrier at the moment. I feel like I’ll reach 8-9D at some point in my life at the pace that I’m going. I actually disagree with your assessment of the EGF ranks because I’ve seen very strong amateurs beat the weak pros numerous times. And I think at that point it’s just a matter of 1 move being more efficient than the other.

I don’t think it’s a good analysis to equate how “hard” it might be to pass a rank to skill imo. There are so many external factors outside of go contributing to person’s ability to move up from their current ranks.

I would honestly imagine that at a certain point, one might not feel a need to improve their games anymore? As a ridiculously strong amateur in a very niche game, an EGF 4 dan probably has everything to enjoy the game for life, and then some more.

This post by hl782 was liked by 2 people: Elom0, remotecontrol

Post #506 Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:44 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
hl782 wrote:
I would honestly imagine that at a certain point, one might not feel a need to improve their games anymore? As a ridiculously strong amateur in a very niche game, an EGF 4 dan probably has everything to enjoy the game for life, and then some more.

I agree with this. I am not even EGF 4 dan, but I still have a hard time finding a motivation to try to improve. The only thing I can think of is to pursue the intrinsic value of enjoying the game itself. But that reason alone isn't very motivating at times when I'm not in the mood to play or study.

At least when I started out, "being a dan player" was a nice long term goal. I could look to that goal when I didn't feel like studying or playing, and it would give me some extra motivation.

It's hard to have the same feeling now. I get some pleasure, I guess, when I do tsumego problems. But it's kind of similar to the pleasure I get from doing Wordle or maybe some math problems for fun: I don't have an underlying goal or motivation I am trying to pursue.

As a result, I practice or play while it feels fun. After that, I don't. I could try to do more, but without another goal, what's the point?

This post by Kirby was liked by 2 people: Elom0, remotecontrol

Post #507 Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:21 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 177
Was liked: 491
Looking at EGD graphs of some European pros (I didn't check everyone),
  • Stanislaw Frejlak became 1d in 2008, 4d in 2012, 7d in 2018
  • Ilya Shikshin became 1d in 2000, 4d in 2001, 7d in 2006
  • Ali Jabarin became 1d in 2007, 4d in 2008, 7d in 2014
  • Andrii Kravets became 1d in 2002, 4d in 2006, 7d in 2015
  • Artem Kachanovskyi became 1d in 2005, 4d in 2007, 7d in 2010
  • Mateusz Surma became 1d in 2006, 4d in 2008, 7d in 2014.

This post by jlt was liked by 3 people: Elom0, gennan, remotecontrol

Post #508 Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:46 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 26
Was liked: 5
Currently 3d tygem, 1d igs and barely 1d egf here.

It seems when playing people who are stuck at 3-5kyu it's because they can't improve their reading/calculation.

I know the path for myself is to keep getting better at tsumego/tesuji, when putting in serious effort I notice very real improvement in speed, accuracy, depth etc.

But when I think about playing a game on 19x19, I often get the feeling I don't have a clue how to play, almost like a beginner. Which is probably true, as my fundamentals are still weak. I'm trying to learn how to play a thick game.

Not sure if breaking >2d egf will lead to 5-6dan egf.

I think there are also natural temperament and emotional factors that stop people progressing. I sometimes have a won game and lose focus in the endgame for instance.

Post #509 Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:49 pm 
Lives in gote

Finished Fujisawa Tesuji Dictionary Volume 3

Somewhat rough stretch at 5D, blew my chance at a promotion. Normalizing though!

This post by hl782 was liked by 2 people: Elom0, Knotwilg

Post #510 Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:51 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 1023
Was liked: 30
KGS: Elom, Windnwater
OGS: Elom, Elom0
Online playing schedule: The OGS data looks pretty so I'll pause for now before I change it.
hl782 wrote:
As a ridiculously strong amateur in a very niche game, an EGF 4 dan probably has everything to enjoy the game for life, and then some more.

8? Not that it matters . . .

Post #511 Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:31 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 134
Was liked: 23
remotecontrol wrote:
Currently 3d tygem, 1d igs and barely 1d egf here.

Thanks for adding your various ranks.

Interested by this thread, I've just tried Tygem over the last couple of weeks and have so far reached 2D with 17 wins and three loses. I am 1d+ IGS and 2d KGS.

A lot of these games weren't the straightforward walkovers that the score might suggest. I doubt that 1D and 2D Tygem is equivalent to the suggested 3k AGA/4k EGF that I've seen suggested elsewhere on the worldwide rank comparison on Sensei's. It seems a bit stronger to me - though it's difficult to get a handle on.

Post #512 Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:43 pm 
Lives in gote

I would say Tygem1-3Ds are probably better at fighting or being aggressive than most KGS 1-2Ds but lack everywhere else lol, hence that gap on the charts at Senseis.

Post #513 Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:55 pm 
Lives in gote

Here's a game I played vs a 6D with a tragic end.

Post #514 Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:31 am 
Lives in gote

Finished the final volume of the Fujisawa Tesuji Dictionary.

Excellent books, but I wouldn't recommend volumes 3 and 4 as highly as I did with volumes 1 and 2 - reason being as follows.

The first half of Volume 3 is opening / middlegame josekis, and I think there are better resources for this.

The second half of Volume 3 and the first half of Volume 4 are life & death problems. I think there are plenty of other L&D resources for people to study at this time.

The second half of Volume 4 are endgame problems and these were actually pretty good!

I'm going to start going through the Graded Go Problems for Dan Player series next. Volume 1 & 2 should be easy since I've done them before. Volumes 4 & 5 should be a challenge.

This post by hl782 was liked by: dfan

Post #515 Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:38 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 359
Was liked: 1019
KGS: Artevelde
OGS: Knotwilg
Online playing schedule: UTC 18:00 - 22:00
I haven't checked it yet but isn't there aji in the center? See variations at 212

This post by Knotwilg was liked by 2 people: dust, Harleqin

Post #516 Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:33 pm 
Lives in gote

...fml lol :oops:

Post #517 Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:05 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 134
Was liked: 23
My experiment continues: reached 4D today in 36 games - 32 wins, 4 losses.

Post #518 Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:28 am 
Lives in gote

Got demoted back to 4D, then went 14-6 and now back up to 5D.

Still going through GGPD problems. I might start approaching the middlegame separately.

Post #519 Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:30 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 1023
Was liked: 30
KGS: Elom, Windnwater
OGS: Elom, Elom0
Online playing schedule: The OGS data looks pretty so I'll pause for now before I change it.
jlt wrote:
Looking at EGD graphs of some European pros (I didn't check everyone),
. . .

Pavol Lisy became 1d in 2009, 4d in 20010, 7d in 2014! Maybe you should make a thread about the rank progressions of top players

Post #520 Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:45 am 
Lives in gote

I went to a Korean go club recently and played some in person games vs some folks older than me.

I went 2-0 against a Tygem 4D by a point after giving him a 2 stone handi.
I went 1-1 against a Tygem 7D after taking a 2 stone handi.
I went 0-1 against a Tygem 8D after taking a 3 stone handi.

I honestly have just been playing games at the 5D level, but 0 tsumego, 0 review of games. Just chilling a bit.
I want to hit 6D-7D by end of the year but I know I'll have to start seriously studying to do that. Lets see how it goes.

This post by hl782 was liked by: remotecontrol

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 521 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next