It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 521 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 27  Next
 Post subject: Re: Path to 9Dan, step by step.
Post #421 Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:54 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 51
Was liked: 40
3 recent games today vs 1 dans. 2 W, 1 L and that L really should have been a W

Win 1 - smooth sailing

Win 2 - pretty smooth sailing

Loss - fatal mistake

Attachments:
alku-toothbrush-2.sgf [6.69 KiB]
Downloaded 911 times
toothbrush-TheClown.sgf [2.45 KiB]
Downloaded 964 times
Shimada-toothbrush.sgf [3.99 KiB]
Downloaded 978 times

Post #422 Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:46 pm 
Lives in gote

I lost my last game on my tygem 1d account to finish up at 17-3.. meaning that i only got a single promotion to 2d :|

I really thought I could have had it, but it is what it is.

Post #423 Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:22 pm 
Lives in gote

I always thought it was cool when I read the "Guides on Becoming a Dan" written by others when I was starting to play go (Sodesune's stands out in my mind as being well written), so I thought I'd write up my own. It's not a guide per say (might become one later), but just a reflection of my progress and how I felt around through the learning curve of the game so far.

So for those that don't want to read through 22 pages of this study journal, I present to you a condensed version here!

This post by hl782 was liked by 4 people: Dusk Eagle, Knotwilg, nombreq232, SoDesuNe

Post #424 Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:39 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 490
Was liked: 365
hl782 wrote:
I always thought it was cool when I read the "Guides on Becoming a Dan" written by others when I was starting to play go (Sodesune's stands out in my mind as being well written), so I thought I'd write up my own. It's not a guide per say (might become one later), but just a reflection of my progress and how I felt around through the learning curve of the game so far.

Glad you liked it! : ) I occaisionally browse through the whole thread for amusement and bewilderment - it was quite a ride.

I'm also a big fan of Kirby's journal. He really thinks about his game, also pondering various psychological aspects that I can relate to.

Your story sounds very similiar to mine in regards to starting work or school again and not having the time to spend on go. I remember that I was really psyched about my go and its progession in summer 2015 (just spent time at the Nordic Go Academy summer camp - fond memories!) but I started working that fall and priorities shifted. Not much happend since then, though the lingering feeling of having been on the cusp of next level go understanding still remains.

I'm thinking of joining the Nordic Go Dojo for some meaningful games the next two months. A serious game a week should be manageable?

Post #425 Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:47 pm 
Lives in gote

Currently starting out my Tygem 2D career as 5-7 at the moment.

As for tsumego, I've ditched the 1000 Weiqi L&D problems (for now) as it's too long and I get more feeling of accomplishment after I finish a book. I've started to work on the latter volumes of the Lee Chang Ho L&D/Tesuji series (Volumes 5-6 for each)... and these are hard. Reading beyond 12-15 moves is a huge struggle for me, and the problems that have large open eyespaces are the absolute worst. The difficulty level really cranked up on these for some reason.

Also, here are 3 more games (with some notes) from Attacking Knowhow.

Attachments:
공격노하우-5.sgf [1.91 KiB]
Downloaded 873 times
공격노하우-4.sgf [1.19 KiB]
Downloaded 903 times
공격노하우-3.sgf [1.8 KiB]
Downloaded 893 times

Post #426 Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:20 pm 
Lives in gote

I started 5-7 against Tygem 2Ds about 5 days ago, but I've had quite a turnaround since then, and got promoted to 3D on Tygem today. Overall record vs 2Ds was 21-11. I'll do a detailed review of some of my favorites of those games and post them here later.

I wanted to start the cooler/harder tsumego sets (Fujisawa Tesuji Dictionary, Gokyo Shumyo, Segoe Dictionary, etc.) when I hit 3D, but I still haven't even come close to finishing most of the sets I said I would do for the 1kyu-2dan level.. so I'll wait on those a bit.

I also beat a 2D on KGS for the first time today. attached is the game.

Attachments:
TeleGo-toothbrush.sgf [3.68 KiB]
Downloaded 872 times

Post #427 Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:15 pm 
Lives in gote

Attached are 3 self-commented wins and 3 self-commented losses from my Tygem 2D Games.

Attachments:
Tygem 2D Win 3.sgf [2.34 KiB]
Downloaded 839 times
Tygem 2D Win 2.sgf [2.18 KiB]
Downloaded 878 times
Tygem 2D Win 1.sgf [1.99 KiB]
Downloaded 842 times

Post #428 Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:17 pm 
Lives in gote

The Losses. The 3rd loss is my 1st loss as a 3-Dan on Tygem. I attached it to remind of myself how critical 1 mistake can be. I did beat the guy afterwards in a rematch as consolation.

Attachments:
Tygem 3D Loss 1.sgf [2.04 KiB]
Downloaded 858 times
Tygem 2D Loss 2.sgf [2.6 KiB]
Downloaded 855 times
Tygem 2D Loss 1.sgf [3.29 KiB]
Downloaded 863 times

Post #429 Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:22 pm 
Lives in gote

I finished going through both LCH Tesuji Vol. 5 and L&D Vol. 5. These were... very hard. Next, I'm going to work through 501 Tesuji Problems and the Graded Go Problems for Dan Players Vol. 1 and 2 (I've actually worked through half of the GGPD ones a while back, so not too much to do there hopefully!) I'm going to hold back on doing volume 6 for both series, because I don't think it will do me too much good as of yet.

More middle game studying through Attacking Knowhow to continue.

Also, where is everyone here? I feel like I'm just talking to myself on this journal now :(

Post #430 Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:07 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
I’m here. Just lurking this thread. We should play sometime ;-)

Post #431 Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:19 am 
Oza

Liked others: 2338
Was liked: 1332
KGS: ez4u
I suggest you post only one game at a time. Pick the one you would most like to discuss and give some reason why. I find your current approach rather overwhelming.

Post #432 Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:10 am 
Lives in gote

ez4u wrote:
I suggest you post only one game at a time. Pick the one you would most like to discuss and give some reason why. I find your current approach rather overwhelming.

I've been doing this approach my entire journal... :| I can try to simplify in the future though.

Anyways, I'm currently 12-14 on Tygem 3D, and 320 problems through 501 Tesuji Problems. I have definitely improved in spotting the actual tesuji, and spotting 1 or 2 lines of 'successful' variations. However, there are some deeper variations (usually the opponent's toughest resistance lines), that I struggle to read out. Attached is a problem that exemplifies the description above. This is akin to how I lose games due to 'blunders' in games.

Realistically, I want to hit KGS 2D and Tygem 4D by the end of the year. That seems very possible.

Attachments:
501Tesuji - Number335.sgf [1.19 KiB]
Downloaded 779 times

This post by hl782 was liked by: xela

Post #433 Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:38 pm 
Lives in gote

Here are two games I played today. A win vs a Tygem 3D and a loss vs KGS 2D. I think I played very well in both.

In terms of tsumego, I finished 501 Tesuji with a total of 73% accuracy. Not bad! Moving back to wrapping up the LCH series next. Overall, I'm currently 19-20, and 6W away from a promo to 4D on Tygem.

Win vs Tygem 3D. This one was fun because I got to refute a trick play (that I had learned from a youtube video)

Loss vs KGS 2D

Attachments:
Tygem3D-W.sgf [6.37 KiB]
Downloaded 758 times
KA0S-toothbrush.sgf [5.31 KiB]
Downloaded 787 times

Post #434 Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:55 am 
Lives in gote

Super rough these days. Tygem 3D, KGS 1-2D are hard. I'm about... 5-25 in my last 30 games on Tygem? Probably 8-32 ish total if you include my last games from KGS as well. I'll probably push back on my Tygem 4D goal by end of the year for a few months. It doesn't seem very practical at the moment.

Tsumego problems are also now approaching difficulty where I'm struggling to do them from the get-go.

I might start going through some commented pro games to try switching things up a little bit.

Go is a hard game.

Post #435 Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:39 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 207
Was liked: 264
GD Posts: 200
hl782 wrote:
Also, where is everyone here? I feel like I'm just talking to myself on this journal now :(

Sorry, you started this back in one of my phases where I wasn't paying much attention to go, and I'm only now just catching up. Enjoying going through your archives.

Post #436 Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:04 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 490
Was liked: 365
hl782 wrote:
Super rough these days. Tygem 3D, KGS 1-2D are hard. I'm about... 5-25 in my last 30 games on Tygem? Probably 8-32 ish total if you include my last games from KGS as well. I'll probably push back on my Tygem 4D goal by end of the year for a few months. It doesn't seem very practical at the moment.

Give it time. You had some stellar progress the last months, you just might be at a point now where the gaps in your existing knowledge hamper your progress because now your opponents are strong enough to benefit from them.

I'd take a good look at a couple of typical losses and figure out, when stuff went wrong and if there's a common denominator.

Post #437 Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:56 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 270
Was liked: 147
Universal go server handle: gennan
hl782 wrote:
I might start going through some commented pro games to try switching things up a little bit.

I think that's good idea. I myself always enjoyed replaying pro games more than doing tsumego problems, especially commentated pro games.

Post #438 Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:50 pm 
Lives in gote

Still in the midst of a long slump/lack of improvement on online games, but I did go to the local go club this past weekend, and won all 4 of my games. I easily beat a 1-2 Dan guy, and then won 3 in a row vs a Tygem 6 Dan (2 games with 3 stone, and 1 with 2 stone handi respectively).

I found it odd that I kept winning my handi games, but still lose most of my even games online. Maybe its just a self-conscious thing.

In terms of tsumego, I finished both Volume 5's of the LCH series again, but they are still hard (the shapes are not immediate to me yet). I'm still holding off on the volume 6 for now.

Post #439 Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:45 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 270
Was liked: 147
Universal go server handle: gennan
I think it's hard to become stronger by yourself without a teacher. If you can afford it, I can highly recommend joining the Yunguseng Dojang run by teacher In-Seong Hwang, who is the best go teacher I know. Also, he's very strong. He's an amateur, but he's at least as strong as the European pros.

Post #440 Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:21 pm 
Lives in gote

gennan wrote:
I think it's hard to become stronger by yourself without a teacher. If you can afford it, I can highly recommend joining the Yunguseng Dojang run by teacher In-Seong Hwang, who is the best go teacher I know. Also, he's very strong. He's an amateur, but he's at least as strong as the European pros.

I'm actually taking weekly lessons from Mark Lee (AGA 9Dan), but I'm beginning to think studying individually is better. Maybe slower progress though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 521 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 27  Next