It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 521 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 27  Next
 Post subject: Re: Path to 9Dan, step by step.
Post #81 Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:07 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 51
Was liked: 40
Perhaps - Its been about 2 weeks since i finished the book my first time. In between I finished a couple other problem solving books - I've done alot of tsumego recently partly thanks to the fact it is summer break.

Interestingly enough I was able to solve those 2 problems straightaway. But yes I see your point about the basics - I feel absolutely the same way about the problems i happen to miss as well. If anything, not having hints to look at makes the problems much much more difficult. I think this is why I like the Lee Chang Ho problem sets because its all in chinese and I dont understand a word of it! I took a glance through 501 tesuji problems... and they seem quite difficult. definitely not at my level yet :P

SoDesuNe wrote:
Maybe you review them too soon? How many books/problems did you solve in between?

I'm going through Get Strong at Tesuji as well at the moment and I still learn a lot from the problems. Though the last time I did them was a couple of years back, I guess.

E.g. these two 3-star-problems:

Click Here To Show Diagram Code
[go]$$Bc Black to play
$$ +---------------------------------------+
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . X . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . O X X O X . |
$$ | . . . , . . . . . , . . O X O O O . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . X . . O . . |
$$ | . . . , . . . . . , . . . . . , . . . |
$$ | . . . . . . O . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . X X X X O . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . X O O X O X . X . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . X O , . O X X . , . . . . . , . . . |
$$ | . X O X O O O X . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . O . . X O O . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ +---------------------------------------+[/go]

In the top right I was quite lost. I only knew what the bad moves would be but I didn't the see the correct one, probably due to "shape reasons".

In the bottom left I figured that there could only be one sensible candidate move but I didn't see White's strongest response (move 4 in the main sequence).

Seeing the right move in the top right and figuring out why there could be only one sensible move in the bottom left was already worthwhile. For me these "tiny things" are very important. Since these are quite easy problems, they show me that I lack certain basics and I feel without those basics everything more advanced would be - at best - standing on very shaky ground.

501 Tesuji Problems is also on my list : )

Post #82 Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:43 pm 
Lives in gote

Using the money I got from private tutoring, i ordered a yearly service of BadukTV today... hehe this is going to be my source of pleasure and learning for an entire year now :)

I am thinking about going through Expert's Haengma, Catching Up to 3 Kyu, Real Power 3 kyu, and Intermediate Maek X-Files. I went through catching up to 5kyu a while back (found the whole thing for free on some korean blog), and I loved how concise and short they were - 15 minutes each that taught me quite alot about the 2-Star and 3-Star openings. I think this will be perfect for when I go back to school and I don't have as much time to focus devote to studying.

Post #83 Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:34 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 102
Was liked: 7
KGS: Wretched, Secil, PlaySlow
Tygem: PlaySlow
Wbaduk: Eksert
Is it in English or Korean?

hl782 wrote:
Using the money I got from private tutoring, i ordered a yearly service of BadukTV today... hehe this is going to be my source of pleasure and learning for an entire year now :)

I am thinking about going through Expert's Haengma, Catching Up to 3 Kyu, Real Power 3 kyu, and Intermediate Maek X-Files. I went through catching up to 5kyu a while back (found the whole thing for free on some korean blog), and I loved how concise and short they were - 15 minutes each that taught me quite alot about the 2-Star and 3-Star openings. I think this will be perfect for when I go back to school and I don't have as much time to focus devote to studying.

Post #84 Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:10 am 
Lives in gote

It's all in korean. I'm 100% fluent at korean so its nice :)

PlaySlow wrote:
Is it in English or Korean?

hl782 wrote:

Post #85 Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:13 pm 
Lives in gote

Very bad Go day today - I played 3 games, 2 ranked - 1 free - Lost them all.

The 1st ranked game, I was simply outplayed. I didn't attack correctly, etc. Attached is a review of the game I did with my friend hikky. I learned quite a bit from it.

The 2nd game, was absolute garbage on my part. I managed to kill a corner in the beginning and started well. Then in the middle game, I was about to kill another group of his - but made a critical mistake by atari-ing from the wrong side... and I lost my cool. I made just about every endgame mistake possible and resulted in almost all my groups dying. It was pathetic. It may have been the worst game of go i think i've ever played - considering I played possibly my best/memorable game just a few days ago, this is really disappointing...

The 3rd game, I lost, due to another endgame mistake, but i played a very beautiful tesuji sequence that was very memorable. It helped me overturn a 30 point deficit into a 6 point lead (just before i blew it in the endgame). This was just about the only bright spot of my go today.

KGS Ratings wise, I am about 2/5 of the the way there to 8kyu. Hopefully I can hit it soon.

Attachments:
hl782.sgf [26.84 KiB]
Downloaded 1037 times

Post #86 Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:11 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 187
hl782 wrote:
The 1st ranked game, I was simply outplayed. I didn't attack correctly, etc.

Actually, "engineering problems", I would say. You can clearly play the game.

Post #87 Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:22 pm 
Lives in gote

I have been so busy with work these days from 9-3 and then out tutoring from 4-8 I've hardly had time to work on my go for the past few days but I've just solved 50 problem a night before going to bed. Maybe its a good break since i was thrashed just a couple days ago. I am still aiming to hit 8kyu by the end of the summer.

this may sound a bit with rank obsession but how does KGS' rank system work? It seems that a defeat affects your ratings a hella lot more than a victory does...

In the meantime, I thought I needed to focus more joseki/jeongsuk - particularly because i kept on getting killed by anyone that played the 3-4point instead of the starpoint. I couldn't find good English books for Joseki - one that contained the essentials, had reasons for each move, variations, and was recent and up to date. The closest I found was 38 Basic Joseki but it was outdated. So instead, I bought 3 korean books - each volumes from the Cho Hun Hyun Baduk Series. One book on Star Points (11 joseki), 3-4 point (11 joseki), and new millennium joseki (contains 15 modern joseki).

Post #88 Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:32 pm 
Lives with ko

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sXaUNluIpU Nick Sibicky may help if you look for most used josekis.

hl782 wrote:
I have been so busy with work these days from 9-3 and then out tutoring from 4-8 I've hardly had time to work on my go for the past few days but I've just solved 50 problem a night before going to bed. Maybe its a good break since i was thrashed just a couple days ago. I am still aiming to hit 8kyu by the end of the summer.

this may sound a bit with rank obsession but how does KGS' rank system work? It seems that a defeat affects your ratings a hella lot more than a victory does...

In the meantime, I thought I needed to focus more joseki/jeongsuk - particularly because i kept on getting killed by anyone that played the 3-4point instead of the starpoint. I couldn't find good English books for Joseki - one that contained the essentials, had reasons for each move, variations, and was recent and up to date. The closest I found was 38 Basic Joseki but it was outdated. So instead, I bought 3 korean books - each volumes from the Cho Hun Hyun Baduk Series. One book on Star Points (11 joseki), 3-4 point (11 joseki), and new millennium joseki (contains 15 modern joseki).

Post #89 Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:59 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 159
Was liked: 36
Or, ignore learning joseki except when it comes up in a game. During your game review, take a look at josekipedia, which has plenty of variations along with comments which moves are good.

From there, you can try to read it out, but at this point at your (our) level, I'd recommend skipping learning too much about joseki, get the basics (during game reviews), and focus on other elements of your playstyle.

Post #90 Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:32 pm 
Lives in gote

sparky314 wrote:
Or, ignore learning joseki except when it comes up in a game. During your game review, take a look at josekipedia, which has plenty of variations along with comments which moves are good.

From there, you can try to read it out, but at this point at your (our) level, I'd recommend skipping learning too much about joseki, get the basics (during game reviews), and focus on other elements of your playstyle.

I can't agree with this. I think joseki is there for a reason. Blatantly memorizing does no good but trying to understand the course of moves, why each was played etc. contains the most go theory/fundamental basis. Plus it teaches overplays, how to punish, etc etc. I'm going to make the most use of my books.

Post #91 Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:18 pm 
Lives in gote

another loss today :(

edit: managed to win a game of handi go against a 7kyu with 2 stones, 6.5 komi.

Post #92 Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:04 am 
Lives with ko

Do not get demoralized by losses mate, that's the biggest danger, believe me..
I think Kirby's thoughts might fit into your situation. Our most serious enemy is ourselves.

Kirby wrote:
I've been thinking about why I've been losing lately.
Actually, I didn't deliberately think about it so much as a thought came to me as I watched a bit of one of Haylee's Youtube videos. For those of you that don't know, Haylee is a pro that does video streaming of the games she plays on Tygem. As she's a pro, she often wins, so it's fun to watch her talk about her thought process.

Anyway, I started to think about the some of the differences between the way that I play go, and the way that she plays go. Of course, she's much better at reading, and can evaluate the board position much more precisely.

But what stuck out to me was her attitude during the game. The biggest difference in thinking that I can notice in her playing style and mine is that I am constantly thinking of the result. I don't have a problem in making myself try to count points in the game, which is good for evaluation.

But perhaps I think of the result too superficially. When I get into a local skirmish, I feel like I'm rushed to get past the skirmish, and move on to the end of the game. Haylee, on the other hand, strikes me as being much more patient, taking her time to play the best way for each move in the game. Even if she knows she's ahead, she plays without rushing the game - like savoring each local battle.

With thoughts like rank, winning and losing, and finishing the game on my mind, I feel I rush the game, overlooking the basic and proper way to play.

I will play another game soon. And I plan to play it properly, without rushing to the end of the game. I think Haylee would do it that way, and I'd like to try, too.

hl782 wrote:
another loss today :(

edit: managed to win a game of handi go against a 7kyu with 2 stones, 6.5 komi.

Post #93 Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:16 pm 
Lives in gote

I agree.. I think i don't have full confidence in my baduk because my fundamentals are still shaky and insecure. If i was of a higher level (some dan rank per say),I would know that I am just in a slump, or something.

I hope to turn it around soon. It's been chaotic these past few days for me. But I still got my eyes on the prize for longterm and will hit 8kyu by end of summer, dan by end of next summer.

edit: lost twice, won once... im 2-5 in my last 7 games :/

Post #94 Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:28 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 0
KGS: 11k
IGS: 11k
Are you getting all of the games u played reviewed?
It'a good way of dropping off bad habits. Instead playing more games, maybe you can review them first by yourself, attach questions and then share it on reddit or here, so better players can have at look at them. Even if they do not comment the whole game, they'd indicate 1-2 obvious faults in our gameplay.
edit: You can also ask to some dan level players in kgs, most of the time they would review the whole game with you. It's better to correct most of our bad habits before it's too late. After we play 500+ games it would harder to change our style.

Post #95 Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:40 pm 
Lives in gote

Yes & no - I review the games I win by myself, the the ones I lose to some of my friends i met on kgs who are higher ranked than me. I think I'm going to start asking my dad for more help.

Thankfully, I won 2 games today - hopefully it's the start of a turnaround!

On another note - I finished GGPB Vol. 4 with 70% accuracy. What was interesting is that I got 94% of the middle game problems and scored around 60 on the life and death problems. But what's odd is that my middlegame during games is weak.. x) Baduk is a mysterious game.

eksert wrote:
Are you getting all of the games u played reviewed?
It'a good way of dropping off bad habits. Instead playing more games, maybe you can review them first by yourself, attach questions and then share it on reddit or here, so better players can have at look at them. Even if they do not comment the whole game, they'd indicate 1-2 obvious faults in our gameplay.
edit: You can also ask to some dan level players in kgs, most of the time they would review the whole game with you. It's better to correct most of our bad habits before it's too late. After we play 500+ games it would harder to change our style.

Post #96 Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:11 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
hl782 wrote:
On another note - I finished GGPB Vol. 4 with 70% accuracy.

Congratulations! :)

Quote:
What was interesting is that I got 94% of the middle game problems and scored around 60 on the life and death problems. But what's odd is that my middlegame during games is weak.. x) Baduk is a mysterious game.

It is hard for us to judge our own game. With just this information I would trust your score on middle game problems over your impression of your own play. Why, then, do you feel that your middle game is weak? One possibility is reflected in this old joke:

Patient: Doc, it hurts when I do this.

Doctor: Then don't do that.

You will sometimes see players showing a position and asking what they should have done in it, because they got a bad result. Often the real answer is, "Don't get into that position." It may be that you are getting poor middle game results because of earlier mistakes in the opening.

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

This post by Bill Spight was liked by: hl782

Post #97 Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:37 pm 
Lives in gote

Huh That's interesting. Maybe you are right - maybe it's mistakes in my opening that is leading me to a rougher middlegame - but I also say I am bad in my middlegame because i have a tendency to make bad reads, and careless mistakes with my moves...

I also think that I scored very well on the problems for GGPB vol. 4 because there were hints given in the problems. There was a finite objective to accomplish - but in real games, there are no such guidelines.

Bill Spight wrote:
hl782 wrote:
On another note - I finished GGPB Vol. 4 with 70% accuracy.

Congratulations! :)

Quote:
What was interesting is that I got 94% of the middle game problems and scored around 60 on the life and death problems. But what's odd is that my middlegame during games is weak.. x) Baduk is a mysterious game.

It is hard for us to judge our own game. With just this information I would trust your score on middle game problems over your impression of your own play. Why, then, do you feel that your middle game is weak? One possibility is reflected in this old joke:

Patient: Doc, it hurts when I do this.

Doctor: Then don't do that.

You will sometimes see players showing a position and asking what they should have done in it, because they got a bad result. Often the real answer is, "Don't get into that position." It may be that you are getting poor middle game results because of earlier mistakes in the opening.

Post #98 Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:01 pm 
Lives in gote

Played 2 great teaching games with my friend yoyoma on kgs today. Besides that, finished Lee Chang Ho Tesuji Vol.1.

I am getting more slack on problem solving, especially with alot of work on the weekdays. I need to pick it up. I am about halfway to 8kyu now. Took me about 15 days so hopefully ill hit in another 15.

Post #99 Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:33 pm 
Lives in gote

Played three games, 2 ranked, 1 8-stone handi against 1 kyu. Won 2, lost a ranked game.

Completely dominated my opponent in my first game. Attached is the game. What's funny is that I missed killing the upper right early in the game but so did my opponent... eventually i got around to it ;)

The 2nd game... was a bit of a disappointment. I think this was a very winnable now that i've taken a step back and reviewed but what i did in the actual game was just terrible :(

On another note. I finally beat my dad with 15 stones of handi... :D

Post #100 Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:42 pm 
Lives in gote

Here are two games that i played and won yesterday.

Also, i played a 9 stone handi game with Justin Teng. I lost in the end but I think i played pretty well against him (he said so himself... teehee). Perhaps I'll upload that game up some other time.

Does anyone know of any books or video lectures to learn some proper shapes and go theory fundamentals? I need help the most on those 2.

Speaking of books, i finished my first readthrough of Fujisawa Shuko's Reducing Territorial Frameworks. The book was so good. Honestly, I think if one studies just the diagrams labeled as 'joseki' (not all the other variations), and the 1st chapter of the book (what Shuko says reduction is, how it should be used, etc) - i think one will improve a stone or so. This book made me more confident in playing shoulder hits, capping moves, reducing 2 space extensions, opponent moyos, corner enclosures, and creating light groups to flee with after making the reduction. Superb book. Now I wish there was something like this for invasions. For those, I'll stick to 'Invasion Vitamin' lectures on baduktv for now, but I'd be glad to take any recommendations :)

Attachments:
muhyo reviewed.sgf [6.65 KiB]
Downloaded 1358 times
radoude reviewed.sgf [6.96 KiB]
Downloaded 864 times

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 521 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 27  Next