It is currently Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 251 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
 Post subject: Re: Knotwilg's practice
Post #241 Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:56 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 320
Was liked: 929
KGS: Artevelde
OGS: Knotwilg
Online playing schedule: UTC 18:00 - 22:00
In my "road to 3 dan" I'm psyching myself up and have started playing 3 dan opponents. While solidifying the 2d rank - which is still not achieved - I have limited myself to 2d and 1d. Against 2d I'm probably about 50-50 (edit: that's right, 7-6 in the past months on OGS). Against 1d I would almost claim to have an easy game (edit: 9-2), if I'm careful enough not to make mistakes way below my level of understanding, but against 3 dans the mission seems almost impossible today (0-3). Here I feel like I have to consistently play on my level of understanding and frequently play beyond that. Even when pulling off a tactical victory in a local battle, opponents are very good at controlling the damage. Usually it is me who's on the receiving end of tactical superiority with lesser capability to dodge.

Those few occasions where I outsmart a 3d do give hope. It's a matter of consistently play at that level and also see these opportunities early enough so as to take any alternative plans into account. The level of Go played at 3d is just a higher standard - and that's something to enjoy.

This post by Knotwilg was liked by: Kirby

Post #242 Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:35 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 312
Was liked: 278
Universal go server handle: jeromie
When you've been enjoying a period of success against weaker players, it takes courage to face stronger opponents more regularly. Kudos to you!

Knotwilg wrote:
...if I'm careful enough not to make mistakes way below my level of understanding...

This is huge, and I honestly think it's the most important next step in my own development. Weaknesses still abound in my game, but I think I (and most kyu-level players, at least) would gain at least one stone by simply not making mistakes that are way below my level.

Post #243 Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:37 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 843
Was liked: 507
GD Posts: 61
KGS: dfan
jeromie wrote:
This is huge, and I honestly think it's the most important next step in my own development. Weaknesses still abound in my game, but I think I (and most kyu-level players, at least) would gain at least one stone by simply not making mistakes that are way below my level.

Yes. When I go over a game of someone who is, say, 10k, I concentrate much less on "here's where you could have played like a 5k" moments and much more on the "here's where you played like a 15k" moments. For one thing, fixing these mistakes will have a greater effect than other changes (it only takes one blunder to lose a game; playing a great move doesn't guarantee you'll know how to follow it up), and for another, it's usually easier to do than acquiring new skills.

Of course you can't improve forever this way, but I do think there is almost always low-hanging fruit to be had.

Post #244 Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:31 am 
Gosei

dfan wrote:
jeromie wrote:

Yes. When I go over a game of someone who is, say, 10k, I concentrate much less on "here's where you could have played like a 5k" moments and much more on the "here's where you played like a 15k" moments. For one thing, fixing these mistakes will have a greater effect than other changes (it only takes one blunder to lose a game; playing a great move doesn't guarantee you'll know how to follow it up), and for another, it's usually easier to do than acquiring new skills.

Of course you can't improve forever this way, but I do think there is almost always low-hanging fruit to be had.

This partly came out of my "2021 mistakes" and "2022 mistakes" series, trying to find patterns in big mistakes. Some of these pointed to missing information, like "avoid slow connections" or "surround on a large scale (but check if it is in sente, otherwise consider tenuki)" ... Some other mistakes were plain to see and a result of not thinking or having a momentary lapse of reason. The question is then: WHY am I making these stupid mistakes. And that mostly comes down to what I mistakenly called "gamesmanship" and consists of 1) fighting spirit 2) proper time management 3) checking liberties and overall be disciplined in actually selecting candidates and reading a few move deeps to choose the best one. And an important prerequisite is to play games when I'm fit, as a deliberate act and not just a time killer or a late night closure of the day (which is what I often do).

So, improving at Go needs sacrifice of the best time I have, not the killer time. And that also means I'm voiding myself of an easy excuse for losing: it wasn't serious anyway.

Post #245 Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:41 pm 
Gosei

While on KGS I can hold my own against a 4d - perhaps incidental - and hold a stable 2d rank, flirting with 3d, on OGS I'm dropping down, losing badly these days against 1d.

Post #246 Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:55 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1587
Was liked: 1646
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
OGS is interesting that way. I think there is more variance in strength for a given rank.

Post #247 Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:30 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 117
Was liked: 12
But how are the mistakes in the losses to 1d? (Hint: you could post a game). I think focussing too much on rank can be a distraction from making progress in learning.

Post #248 Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:15 am 
Gosei

dust wrote:
But how are the mistakes in the losses to 1d? (Hint: you could post a game). I think focussing too much on rank can be a distraction from making progress in learning.

When I get back to my home laptop (travelling) I'll make some analyses. You are right and for 1,5 year I have been training and reviewing without caring about rank. Now I wanted to get proof points that I'm improving. I am solving problems I couldn't before and I have had a "feeling" I understand more. But still, there's a yummy pudding in front of me, which is playing and possibly beating higher ranked players. Eating it, that kind of proof is not happening to the extent I hoped, as noted above. Intrinsic motivation only goes midway for me.

From the OGS interface analysis, moves 48 to 54 were all mistakes, committing suicide to my invasion. Not a mistake, but a choice leading to the potential of making these mistakes, was the reinforcement in the lower right, allowing Black to build up his moyo. Invasions are definitely a weak point, which is also disappointing given the amount of tsumego I do.

Post #249 Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:51 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 117
Was liked: 12
Thanks for posting the game :). I think this is just one to put behind you and not read too much into it.

It feels like you got persuaded against better judgement into one of those horrible risk management situations on the left side (with 42 and following) where the risk is all on your side and the potential loss is huge. Would be interested in other views though.

Post #250 Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:40 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 360
Was liked: 152
I don't know what AI says, but to me, 32 was the first move that struck me as odd. Black is so strong on the left side both above and below that giving way with a one point jump to E11 seems much more natural than digging in, and also more consistent with the keima before.

Post #251 Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:31 pm 
Gosei

Harleqin wrote:
I don't know what AI says, but to me, 32 was the first move that struck me as odd. Black is so strong on the left side both above and below that giving way with a one point jump to E11 seems much more natural than digging in, and also more consistent with the keima before.

AI finds a way to live. So it doesn't scorn this move.

For me it was too tough, like dust said and I had multiple chances to take it easy: hane at 26 not play in the corner, reduce at 28 not invade, one space jump at 30 not keima, sacrifice at 32 not fight ...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 251 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13