It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: YACHT Diary
Post #21 Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:52 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 19
Was liked: 32
Revilo wrote:
My problem is that I am still very vulnerable against trickery and overplays.

Well you shouldn't complain, playing trickery stuff yourself. :)
At what moves do you think you were tricked? It's possible that your opponent played something sensible.

Here are two easy concepts that will help you at your level:
- Check out "double wing" on senseis. Usually it is better to intervene early, when they start to appear. Knowing about the concept, you would probably have played differently against blacks upper left corner and when developing your lower left corner.
- Don't kick (move 38) unless you know what you're doing. Kicks can backfire easily, because there is lots of aji on 3-3.

These are 2kyu cents.

Post #22 Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:21 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 19
KGS: Revilo
IGS: Revilo
I guess it is time for an update. I've been improving little by little over the course of the last six weeks and today I managed to get to 12k on IGS. My tally now is 106 to 79 since registering in January and beginning at the bottom of the rank chart. So after all, making it to SDK this year might still be achievable, even though I do not find time to play very often. Also, the chess league season is about to begin which will draw some of my attention away from go.

But it is definitely nice to feel some progress. I have played my first OTB tournament two weeks ago, a 6 round McMahon with 60 minutes plus byoyomi of 5 minutes for 15 moves. Based on the handicaps I usually take in the local club, I registered as 11k ended on 2-4 only. It became clear that I was still lacking in experience. I often took a lot of time and still missed a lot of stuff that my quicker playing opponents had seen. As a result, I took advantage of the book dealer at the tournament and bought all four volumes of Fujisawa Shuko's tesuji dictionary :study:

I'm currently working through the first volume (tesujis for attack) and I feel my vision has already become a lot sharper. I managed a big kill in a 6 stone handicap game at the local club and also in the game that got me promoted to 12k today, I found a nice idea that I'd attribute to the tesuji dictionary.

I don't know if Black 144 actually is totally effective for cutting White apart but White certainly had a lot of problems to solve. It was certainly a good feeling to play a move like Black 144, even if it might turn out that it doesn't fully work.

Then on the other hand, I made myself feel stupid and not able to count again by playing Black 162 ...

Attachments:
GGIPZVPHEK.sgf [3.13 KiB]
Downloaded 538 times

Post #23 Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:28 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 43
Was liked: 139
W145 I would have played on the other side, at J4.

Post #24 Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:07 pm 
Dies in gote

Fedya wrote:
W145 I would have played on the other side, at J4.

But Black seems to be able to cut anyway, doesn't he?

H4 F4 H5 F3 and now if White F2 Black G2 atari first, followed by E2 atari.

If W145 at J4, Black can cut with H5.

Post #25 Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:33 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 43
Was liked: 139
What happens if White sacrifices the G3 stone to play for a ko?

Post #26 Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:29 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 51
Was liked: 192
KGS: Str1fe, Midorisuke
144 is a great idea. Good job finding that move :salute:

This post by Shaddy was liked by: Revilo

Post #27 Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:28 pm 
Dies in gote

Hello everybody,

it's been a while since I last posted something into my diary. Somehow, I just didn't find the time to keep posting, which doesn't actually mean that I stopped playing and learing.

I've now reached 8k EGF, mostly by regularly attending the local club, reading books and doing the occasional excersise on TsumeGo Pro. Online, I'm still standing at 12k IGS, as I just couldn't muster enough games to move up.

A peculiar thing I noticed was that whenever I took some time off off go, I moved up a little in relation to the guys attending the club. So when the time came to sit down in a tournament this summer, I registered as 8k and ended at 1-3 against 4 7k players. It was a rapid tournament, 25 minutes plus 20 stones in 5 minutes byoyomi, and my result could have been better if I had not blundered in time trouble in two of the games, one of which I was clearly winning. I'm still having trouble when I've got to move quickly and in general it seems that I'm a rather slow thinker.

Last week I played in another tournament, this time with 60 minutes and 15 moves in 5 minutes byoyomi, registering at 8k again. I started well, winning two games against 8k and then losing against 7k.

In the fourth round I then played what I initially considered the best game of my still short career. I had a 6k on the brink of defeat, but unfortunately lost the thread completely in byoyomi again. Since I still was sort of proud of the game, I decided to spend some time, about three to four hours, analyzing the game and posting it up here.

What can I say, the conclusion of my analysis is that I totally overestimated the quality of my play. Even though Leela on my machine is not the sharpest knive in the drawer, I could sense that I still missed, misread or misjudged so much stuff that it was quite a sobering experience for me. There where also so many situations where a second look at the position, along with Leela's suggestion, just made me feel like I was completely missing the point during the game...

I'd like to share the game up here, along with commentary about what was going on in my mind during the game. I appreciate comments, especially about the strategic errors.

Attachments:
6k-8k.sgf [11.57 KiB]
Downloaded 475 times

Last edited by Revilo on Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post #28 Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:39 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 295
Was liked: 64
IGS: 4k
Universal go server handle: BlindGroup
Your about at my level now. So, take these comments with that in mind. But I had the following thoughts when I looked through your game:

1. I feel like you are over thinking the fuseki. You have a different style than I have, but the first move that seemed possibly problematic to me was 12. Through then, this seemed like a reasonable fuseki for both players.

2. Move 9. This weekend, I looked through a number of pro games that were at a point similar to the board at move 8. (The main difference was that the white stone in the bottom right was at the 4-4 point, but that doesn't seem like a big deal.) Many of the pros played your 9 at that point. So, while there may be small differences in the value of the move, at your/our level, I can't imagine that it matters that much.

Finally a question: On move 17, while my initial reaction was to play something else, the change in Leela's winning probabilities seems small to me. I would have taken this change to mean that there were stronger moves to be made. I would not have thought of 4% as "whopping". Am I off base on that?

Edit: In comment 1, changed 17 to 12.

Last edited by BlindGroup on Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post #29 Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:58 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 886
Was liked: 527
GD Posts: 61
KGS: dfan
BlindGroup wrote:
1. I feel like you are over thinking the fuseki. You have a different style than I have, but the first move that seemed possibly problematic to me was 17. Through then, this seemed like a reasonable fuseki for both players.

I don't like :w12: very much, but that's largely because I have been told to avoid this move until I'm dan level.

Quote:
Finally a question: On move 17, while my initial reaction was to play something else, the change in Leela's winning probabilities seems small to me. I would have taken this change to mean that there were stronger moves to be made. I would not have thought of 4% as "whopping". Am I off base on that?

Leela's win probabilities are very volatile, and often depend on unintuitive followups. I would be much more concerned if Crazy Stone's win probability dropped by 4%.

Post #30 Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:10 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 295
Was liked: 64
IGS: 4k
Universal go server handle: BlindGroup
dfan wrote:
BlindGroup wrote:
1. I feel like you are over thinking the fuseki. You have a different style than I have, but the first move that seemed possibly problematic to me was 17. Through then, this seemed like a reasonable fuseki for both players.

I don't like :w12: very much, but that's largely because I have been told to avoid this move until I'm dan level.

I actually agree. I need to get better at editing my posts before I submit them.

Question though -- why have you been told to leave this until the dan level? My thought on this is that as Revilo notes in the sgf, the K16 stone puts black a move ahead in the normal 4-4 attach and extend joseki. Black no longer has to play the extension since one already exists. That's disadvantageous enough, that I would have avoided the joseki entirely. Is it in fact a reasonable plan?

Post #31 Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:31 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 886
Was liked: 527
GD Posts: 61
KGS: dfan
I have been told by dan-level players that the attach-and-extend joseki in general is only suitable for special circumstances, and that it is better to avoid it until I can understand those circumstances better. The usual reasoning given is that it settles the shapes (especially Black's) prematurely and makes it difficult to carry out any operations against Black later.

Post #32 Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:51 am 
Dies in gote

I don't know what it is about the tsuke-nobi, but it doesn't appeal to me either way. Playing it myself, it feels so heavy. Playing against it, it feels so massive. However, I've only just begun looking into the push and cut variation - especially here after 16, it might have been useful to support a black position along the side. Splitting with 17 as played in the game just gives White an extension that felt really large, prompting me to stir up trouble.

By the way, does anybody know why the letters I refer to aren't displayed in the viewer? Without them a lot of my comments remain rather unclear. They are visible offline in Drago.

Post #33 Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:27 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
BlindGroup wrote:
I would not have thought of 4% as "whopping". Am I off base on that?

Remember that these bots have mainly been tested against other versions of themselves (AKA self-play). That does mean that the rank ordering of the moves has been tested, since if the two versions pick different moves, they order them differently (unless there is some randomness to the choosing, but even then the order matters). The percentage difference between plays has not been tested. AFAIK, not in any way. If the better version prefers move A, while weaker version prefers move B, that says nothing about how much either version prefers one to the other. OC, the percentage difference is not meaningless, but moi, I would put more stock in the rank ordering. If your play is not among the top five picks, the odds are good that it is a mistake. :)

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.