It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
 Post subject: Re: The Story of a Loser - The Great Pitfall of Studying Go!
Post #201 Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:39 am 
Oza

Liked others: 359
Was liked: 1019
KGS: Artevelde
OGS: Knotwilg
Online playing schedule: UTC 18:00 - 22:00
okay, if anyone else wants to be burned out, I’m available again

Post #202 Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:07 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 62
Was liked: 116
ez4u wrote:
Ian Butler wrote:

I might update this journal from time to time, because let's face it: I'm not quitting Go altogether, that's unnecessary. But the obsessive, addictive study of Go has come to an end. 6 months from 22 kyu OGS to 8 kyu OGS. Many lessons learned, many hours played and studied. It's been great.

See you!

It seems like you should start a completely new journal from the point of view of a non-obsessive player who enjoys Go as one of many interests.

Meanwhile, thanks for baring you soul during your obsessive days. Your journal was a lot of fun. :tmbup:

Thanks! And, yes, that's a very good idea :)

Knotwilg wrote:

If that's a joke, it's a good one :)
If it's not, it's hardly fair on yourself.

Because I'm definitely not burned out on Go. On the contrary, it's because I feel I could be sucked up in Go so heavily that I decide to take a huge step back. I could continue to fill my days with extensive study of Go for months/years to come and enjoy myself heavily. Just as I've enjoyed the past six months learning about it and playing.

But I've always been proud of my versatility, and it's that I want to protect. My ideal is Homo Universalis, and I want to strive to become (a part of) that. Go is dangerous because it'd contain me to just one aspect of being human.
That's the prime reason for this "break", not being burned out.

I still hope to get better/learn at Go, but just as one of the many interests. I have the same approach to playing instruments. I've always kept to the principles: I'd rather play many instruments decent, and play around with that, make music, have fun... then playing only 1 instrument really really well.
Same goes for Go.
I'd love to play Go well, but I'd rather play Go decent and also study (biology, art, history...), do sports, make music, write books...

I think that makes sense :D :cool:

So getting away from Go now is a logical reaction after over-studying it for 6 months. I have lots to catch up on in other domain. Eventually Go (study) will slip back into my life on a more balanced note.

Post #203 Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:35 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 359
Was liked: 1019
KGS: Artevelde
OGS: Knotwilg
Online playing schedule: UTC 18:00 - 22:00
Ian Butler wrote:
ez4u wrote:
Ian Butler wrote:

I might update this journal from time to time, because let's face it: I'm not quitting Go altogether, that's unnecessary. But the obsessive, addictive study of Go has come to an end. 6 months from 22 kyu OGS to 8 kyu OGS. Many lessons learned, many hours played and studied. It's been great.

See you!

It seems like you should start a completely new journal from the point of view of a non-obsessive player who enjoys Go as one of many interests.

Meanwhile, thanks for baring you soul during your obsessive days. Your journal was a lot of fun. :tmbup:

Thanks! And, yes, that's a very good idea :)

Knotwilg wrote:

If that's a joke, it's a good one :)
If it's not, it's hardly fair on yourself.

Because I'm definitely not burned out on Go. On the contrary, it's because I feel I could be sucked up in Go so heavily that I decide to take a huge step back. I could continue to fill my days with extensive study of Go for months/years to come and enjoy myself heavily. Just as I've enjoyed the past six months learning about it and playing.

But I've always been proud of my versatility, and it's that I want to protect. My ideal is Homo Universalis, and I want to strive to become (a part of) that. Go is dangerous because it'd contain me to just one aspect of being human.
That's the prime reason for this "break", not being burned out.

I still hope to get better/learn at Go, but just as one of the many interests. I have the same approach to playing instruments. I've always kept to the principles: I'd rather play many instruments decent, and play around with that, make music, have fun... then playing only 1 instrument really really well.
Same goes for Go.
I'd love to play Go well, but I'd rather play Go decent and also study (biology, art, history...), do sports, make music, write books...

I think that makes sense :D :cool:

So getting away from Go now is a logical reaction after over-studying it for 6 months. I have lots to catch up on in other domain. Eventually Go (study) will slip back into my life on a more balanced note.

It was a joke :)

As I grow older, I go for depth more than breadth. When I was younger, I was like you: try and be moderately good at many things. There's no right or wrong here, not even in what you're supposed to do when growing older. It's just an observation: I share my time with less people but more intensely. I devote my energy to less passtimes but more deeply.

Listening to what you want to do with the time gained abandoning go study, I'm not sure the obsessive temperament is gone with the obsessive pursuit of go prowess. Every human life is unique though and your path will reveal itself. We can watch it from the sideline and make a few comments, some in vain, some ringing true.

Post #204 Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:08 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 62
Was liked: 116
Knotwilg wrote:
Listening to what you want to do with the time gained abandoning go study, I'm not sure the obsessive temperament is gone with the obsessive pursuit of go prowess.

You can't change your life over night ;-)
Believe me, I'm much more aware of the "problem" and I'm not going after those things obsessively. A passion for learning and a huge interest in many areas isn't necessarily obsession. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11