It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Story of a Loser - Bags of sand
Post #161 Posted: Sat May 19, 2018 2:19 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 62
Was liked: 116
dfan wrote:
I think at this point the one thing you have to do to achieve SDK level is to decide that you are SDK level. I bet if you created a new account at 9k you'd win half your games.

Thanks, dfan. Perhaps that's true :) let's just see where the natural development takes us. Today I managed to beat a 10 kyu player, though I thought I was behind during the endgame, so I definitely need to work on my counting.

I'll post the game here, because it also marks a nice 4th consecutive victory on OGS against an 11 kyu, a 10 kyu, an 8 kyu and another 10 kyu.
Meaning my rank is being bumped up to almost 10 kyu as well.
Edit: after another game, 9.9 kyu!

The main thing is that I'm solidifying my playing level and I'm still making headway. On the other hand, I might just as easily lose the next 4 games against 11, 10, 8 and 10 kyu, so let's not jump the gun :)

I've only been like a little over 2 weeks with my Sensei, and already it's had an amazing effect. Biggest advantages a sensei has to offer are:

- Game reviews, adapted to your needs.
- Tips (on what to study next), adapted to your needs.
- A good opponent to play against
- A gentle pressure to keep growing (even if your sensei doesn't expect/stress it, it's human not to want to let him down, instead to do well!)

The Game (Comments in Dutch)

Post subject: Re: The Story of a Loser - Good times
Post #162 Posted: Sun May 27, 2018 4:38 am 
Lives in gote

And that's it for the Level Up series! Great books to learn from, albeit a bit dull with the repetition :)

Ready for Jump Level Up!

Post #163 Posted: Sun May 27, 2018 5:59 am 
Oza

Liked others: 2338
Was liked: 1332
KGS: ez4u
In the last game an interesting position occurs at 209. After the exchange of 1 for 2 below (207 and 208 in the game), White is short of liberties so Black can play the hane at 3. If White cuts at 4, there is no answer to Black 7. White has to answer 3 with "a" but Black can break in with 5 (after playing the ataris at 8 and "b" in sente of course ;-) ).
Click Here To Show Diagram Code
[go]$$Bcm1
$$ ---------------------------------------
$$ | O . . . . . . . X X O X X . O X O . . |
$$ | . O X . X . . X X O O O X O O X O O X |
$$ | O X . X O O X X O O O O . O X X O . . |
$$ | O X X X X X O X X X X O O X . X O . O |
$$ | O X X O X O O . . O O O X X . X X O . |
$$ | O O O O O . . O O O X X . . . . X X . |
$$ | . . . . . . 6 O X X X . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . . . 5 O X . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . O . a 3 4 X . . O . . . . . . X X |
$$ | . O O 9 7 O X X . , . . . . X X X X O |
$$ | . O X O 8 O O X . . . . . . X O O O O |
$$ | X X X O b 1 X X . . . . . X O . O . . |
$$ | O . X O 2 O O X O . . X . X O . O . . |
$$ | O X X X X X O O X X . . X O X O X . . |
$$ | O . . X X O X X O . . . X O . O O . . |
$$ | X X X O . O O X . , . . X O . O . . . |
$$ | . X O O . O . X X . . X O O . . . . . |
$$ | X O O . . . O X O X . X X X O . . . . |
$$ | . . . . . . O O O X . . X O . O . . . |
$$ ---------------------------------------[/go]

This post by ez4u was liked by: Bill Spight

Post #164 Posted: Sun May 27, 2018 8:39 am 
Lives in gote

Cool! Thanks for showing that variation. In the game I was looking at something similar but in my variations it just didn't work out.
Turns out it did :shock:

Post #165 Posted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:05 am 
Lives in gote

Go Club

Was able to go to the local Go club again and had a chance of playing a 10 kyu, a 5-6 kyu and a 2 dan.
I won against the 10 kyu, mainly because of a nice L&D, I killed a corner. (won by resignation)
I lost against the 5-6 kyu with 3 handicap stones because of a reading error. His 2 weak groups linked up and that was that. If I had paid more attention, the game was very much in my favor up to that point.
I lost against the 2 dan, but oddly at the end of the middle game I was 4 points ahead (most of the endgame in his favor, though, so in the end still a +20 point gap). I built a big central moyo and attacked a group of him right in the middle of it. It lived, but still I was up. I lost the game in the endgame with some stones getting caught (reading) and general endgame moves (he had sente a long time, I had to endure. 4 points are easily lost)

It was a great experience and I hope I can go more often in the near future.

April summary in spoiler, from a month ago (obviously)
April Summary
Another month has passed and it's time to see where I stand right now, and what I've done in April to improve my Go playing.

1. Games
I played many games this month. A rough estimate puts me at 25-30 games on a 19x19 against human opponents, an additional 10-15 games against Leela and about 100 games against Igowin on 9x9.
Most of my games ended up being reviewed by myself, members on the site, or my opponent. I like to think I've learned something from each game.

2. Tsumego
Finally found a way to do tsumego, although I'm not sure it's sufficient and I might have to step up my game here. I finished Level Up 6, 7 and 8. I've done GGPB 2 and am currently re-reading it because there's still many mistakes I made.

3. Books
I've read other books but I've spend less time on it then the first few months. I re-read Lessons in Fundamentals, selectively re-read Attack and Defense, and am currently browsing through "All about Thickness" again.

4. Rank/Strength?
In a month's time, my rank on OGS has gone up from 14.4 kyu to about 13 kyu. Noticeable is that the real fast progression is over for now, I believe. I like to think I gained a lot of strength in the past few months, but now it's going much more steadily, but that is only logical, of course. To be honest I'm already very happy to be at the 13-14 kyu level at this point, so I don't want to rush my development.
Things'll go much slower from here on in, and I'll need to put in a lot more work to increase a stone compared to before. Hopefully that won't diminish the motivation.

5. Highlights
My live games with knotwilg. Having found such a strong player nearby, willing to play me every once in a while, has been amazing for my go-playing, I think. The games we played count among me favorite, if only for the circumstances, being able to play a strong player on a real board, both using time to play, reviewing the game afterwards. Beats online go playing any day of the week.

6. Lowest Point
I wish I could tell you studying Go is always a lot of fun but it's actually not. I have to admit that at some points, I find myself wondering: "why am I doing all this?" I got into a losing streak for a while and if you're then reading a Go-book in the evening and you see someone doing some online gaming with friends and having a lot of fun I asked myself "Is this really worth it? Did I stop gaming for this?"
Waking up the next day, I always find myself with the answer "Yes. It's worth it".
But the question returns every once in a while :scratch: :)

For now, I can't start letting my go-studying become something half-half. My efforts have already decreased a bit because I picked up my music again after a long break, so I need to be focused and aware that I keep spending at least 2 hours a day on my Go. I think that's an acceptable amount of time for the time being.
On the other hand, I have to be careful not to let Go take over my life, which I am prone to do at times. Going for a walk with good friends, or playing music with my band, or visiting my little niece, are things you should never pass up on, not even for playing Go :)

7. Trap!
One thing to learn from April that I've come to realize is that I can't fall into one particular trap: expectations.
It's true that I've progressed relatively quickly the first few months (I think so) and some people have also noted that and told me. Others carry it even further and perhaps expect me (or I think they do) to keep that progression rate going.
I have to be very careful about that and push all that aside. Remember that progression will come naturally but also that you probably don't keep improving (unless you keep spending hours and hours a day, which is unlikely in the long term), so who knows, maybe I'll become a strong player. It can be relatively fast, it can take years. Maybe I'll never be a very strong player (what's strong anyway?), maybe I'll hit a "permanent" rank somewhere.
Either way, I'll have to take it as it comes :)

8. May
One last item: what's in store for the month to come?
I am a pro at planning things and then doing something else, so I'll keep it limited and set some realistic goals.

- Keep playing games using a real board (even online) and reviewing these games.
- Keep up my Level Up & GGPB and also do some other tsumego from time to time, pick up the pace.
- Browse through a Go book at least every two days (be it A&D, Opening Theory Made Easy, Art of Settling Stones...)
- Play 100 games against Igowin to improve my L&D and close contact fighting
- Don't play a Go game if I'm not in the right mood (important!)

May Summary
May was an interesting month, to say the least.

1. Games
I played about +20 serious games, and reviewed them. I think that's a healthy number. 1/day would be even better, but not practical at the moment. 20/month seems good for now.
I won a lot of games, too, this month. Only a few games left a bad aftertaste. I'd say 2-3 games this month. I'm not saying I wasn't always disappointed by losing, but 2-3 left a real bad aftertaste :lol:

2. Sensei
Biggest change in May was probably that I got hold of a wonderful Sensei who's already helped a lot in this short time! I hope to work together a long time and see where that brings me! The main thing that helped me was that he focused my Go training more. Of course, playing live games, reviewing... are all very helpful, too.

3. Books
Reading less and less Go books and trying to play more and do Go problems. I started Get Strong at the Endgame but the problems in there were too tough for me and I put it away again for now.

4. Level Up!
Finished Level Up 9, 10 and Review 2. Now I'm doing Jump Level Up.

5. Rank/Strength
Definitely another increase this month. OGS took me from 13 kyu to 10-11 kyu. I think I'm hovering over the DDK-SDK barrier at the moment. Hopefully I can cross it in the coming month!

5. June
What is my plan for the next month? I'm going to try to set up a study rhythm that goes something like this:

Daily:
- +10 problems from 1001 L&D
- 1 chapter from Survey of Basic Tesuji OR 1 lesson in Jump Level Up

Weekly:
- Play 3 serious games & review
- 20 problems from neural net go problems (middle game/dir of play problems)

Not a strict regimen, but rather a guide to get me through June. Let's see if I can follow it.

6. Other thoughts...
Some other (loose) thoughts I've been having:

- My "weakness" in L&D and it becoming more and more important in games is actually motivating me to study it more and more. It's come so far that now I'm actually rather motivated to become a L&D expert! So I'm definitely increasing my L&D studies in the future!

- My fighting is probably my weakest skill at the moment. I might set up a fighting account on an online go server, to train that specifically. Other ways to help this is to perhaps study the games of Lee Sedol, for inspiration and his notion of what constitutes a weak group aka an attackable group.

- My ambition is going through the roof. While realistically I'm patient and I have the "let's see where it ends" attitude, I also have some wild ambitions, which may or may not be achieved. Basically, I just want to keep playing as long as it's fun and if I ever plateau or quit and it's fine by me, than that's okay too. But that's boring. Here is the unrealistic and highly ambitious (and slightly arrogant) side of my talking next: Secretely I'm hoping that I can make 1dan (EGF/OGS) in a year, give or take. More than that, I want to one day play even with my current Sensei (3 dan). More than that, I want to surpass my Sensei (that's the arrogance right there!). Is it possible? Perhaps. But that's what I'm aiming at right now!
The only "worry" I have with that is age. Starting at 25 may see me reach my limit sooner than had I started earlier. On the other hand, I've always been passionate about 'thniking' in general so my brains are "trained" even if not with Go things.

Hope to have a great June!

Post subject: Re: The Story of a Loser - May Summary
Post #166 Posted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:15 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 886
Was liked: 527
GD Posts: 61
KGS: dfan
Congrats on a successful month! One thing to be aware of: A Survey of the Basic Tesujis is actually fairly advanced (I read "basic" as "basic to a 1d"). Many problems in there are ones that I wouldn't expect to solve over the board at my (strong kyu) level. Of course there is no harm in reading through it and getting some inspiration, just don't be too disappointed if it's tougher than you expected. I do like that it is organized by the local shape of the important move (e.g., wedge, attachment, cut) rather than by the goal of the sequence; it's a refreshing change and is good at providing ideas for local moves.

Don't worry about your age; at 25, you are a kid. :)

Post #167 Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:52 am 
Lives in gote

dfan wrote:
Congrats on a successful month! One thing to be aware of: A Survey of the Basic Tesujis is actually fairly advanced (I read "basic" as "basic to a 1d"). Many problems in there are ones that I wouldn't expect to solve over the board at my (strong kyu) level. Of course there is no harm in reading through it and getting some inspiration, just don't be too disappointed if it's tougher than you expected. I do like that it is organized by the local shape of the important move (e.g., wedge, attachment, cut) rather than by the goal of the sequence; it's a refreshing change and is good at providing ideas for local moves.

Don't worry about your age; at 25, you are a kid. :)

Thanks for the warning. The thing I like most about the book is also the fact that the tesuji are categorised by their technical move.

Post #168 Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:09 pm 
Lives in gote

So I managed to finish Jump Level Up 1.
First time I had some tougher times, though. I think during the book I got about 90% of the answers right, but the test (under tougher circumstances, though) was not as good with about 75%-80% right.

Still, I think it's good enough to move on to Jump Level 2. But I'll probably slow down my pace. I wanted to get as fast as I could through these books but I think I'm at a point now where I'm pretty much on the level I'm at, so I don't want to rush it and perhaps miss the point.

Post #169 Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:26 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
Ian Butler wrote:
First time I had some tougher times, though. I think during the book I got about 90% of the answers right, but the test (under tougher circumstances, though) was not as good with about 75%-80% right.

Still, I think it's good enough to move on to Jump Level 2. But I'll probably slow down my pace. I wanted to get as fast as I could through these books but I think I'm at a point now where I'm pretty much on the level I'm at, so I don't want to rush it and perhaps miss the point.

I definitely agree that it's time to move on. :) However, after a decent interval, like one month, take the test(s) over until you get them at least 95% correct.

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #170 Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:40 am 
Lives in gote

Bill Spight wrote:
Ian Butler wrote:

I definitely agree that it's time to move on. :) However, after a decent interval, like one month, take the test(s) over until you get them at least 95% correct.

Interesting idea.
I'll get started on Jump Level Up 2 and try to do 1 or 2 lessons a day. Maybe once I'm halfway the book, I'll re-try the Jump Level Up 1 test to see how I do.
Also because at the time I did the test yesterday, I had already done tsumego/problems for like 1 hour and a half, so my concentration was nearing its very end. Maybe if I re-do it in a few weeks, with a better concentration, it'll go better.

That said, I should be careful of these things. Because I have a good memory and I'll probably still remember some of the problems even after months. So next time I do a "test", I'll have to take care to do it properly in the first time :study: :)

Post #171 Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:03 am 
Honinbo

Ian Butler wrote:
Bill Spight wrote:

Interesting idea.
I'll get started on Jump Level Up 2 and try to do 1 or 2 lessons a day. Maybe once I'm halfway the book, I'll re-try the Jump Level Up 1 test to see how I do.

Overlearning is very important. :) Since you have a lot of other similar problems available, a goal of 95% strikes me as reasonable. Otherwise, I would recommend 100%.

The 50% rule of thumb for the level of problems to work on may seem to conflict with overlearning, but they actually go together. The 50% rule sets a good challenge for acquiring new skills. The overlearning goal is for reinforcing newly acquired skills and for mastery. A lot of people do easy problems quickly. This is a form of overlearning, but IMX it is the overlearning that is the key, not speed training. One of my bridge partners told me that among all her partners I was the quickest at figuring things out at the table. Speed is important at bridge, because your opponents can draw inferences from how long you take to bid or play. Even so, I never trained for speed, I trained for mastery. As for the 50% rule, I think that players who only do problems that are easy for them are not stretching themselves enough and end up selling themselves short.

Quote:
I should be careful of these things. Because I have a good memory and I'll probably still remember some of the problems even after months.

I had the same problem, and because I thought that it was better to work things out rather than simply remembering them, I waited a long time before reviewing problems. In those days I did not have the plethora of problems that people have available today, and that meant that I spent a long time between doing problems. In retrospect I think I would have done better to review more frequently and to forge ahead.

Edit: The idea of turning the book over when you review is a good one. :)

Visualize whirled peas.

Post #172 Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:29 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 11
Was liked: 48
KGS: LordVader
Hello Jonas - if that is your real name :batman:,

First of all, thank you for our game on Tuesday, I really enjoyed it.
I wanted to review it. Unfortunately, I forgot too much of it already.
And I am stuck here (the order of moves is already incorrect I assume).
Perhaps you remember how it went exactly ? :-?
( btw: my gmail e-mail address: bvandenbon )

My opinion about reaching 1-dan amateur level:

I have a twitter account where I occasionally post some things about Go. And shortly after our game, I decided to post the following: https://twitter.com/gogobrugo/status/1002439000160907264 :study: That's a text from the book "The Endgame" of the "Elementary Go Series". I am not a big fan of English Go books, especially not the ones with a lot of text. But this book is great because it's so efficient. It takes years to master, so you better don't waste time ;). It makes you realize that even a simple hane can have a value of >15 points. Which in turn, makes you realize that many games are decided in endgame. And that makes it a critical skill to master. :rambo:

There are more skills like this. Ask around, and you will notice that these skills seperate the dan players from the kyu players: :mrgreen:

It is not easy to reach 1-dan level. I think that those who do claim that it is easy, should count how many hours they already spent studying and playing the game. In fact, these topics can be exhausing. It takes perseverance for sure. ;-)

Post #173 Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:09 pm 
Honinbo

calculating the value of end-game moves
:D

Visualize whirled peas.

Post #174 Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:25 am 
Lives in gote

@Bill
Quote:
I had the same problem, and because I thought that it was better to work things out rather than simply remembering them, I waited a long time before reviewing problems. In those days I did not have the plethora of problems that people have available today, and that meant that I spent a long time between doing problems. In retrospect I think I would have done better to review more frequently and to forge ahead.

Edit: The idea of turning the book over when you review is a good one.

I'll remember that, thanks.
Yes, I'm doing GGPB 2 upside down at the moment. TO get "new" problems and also not to have the text helping me. Ironically, I've gotten much better at reading upside down lately :lol:

@Spook
Thanks, Bram! I really enjoyed the game, too. I'll definitely try to come more often and perhaps we can play more games. I also have a game record that I made that very night, I just put it next to yours and I think this is a pretty good guess of how the game went (up to move 73) Not sure about the last few moves. I know I made them but timing could be off.

Though one thing I really remember differently is move 59. Are you sure I played this? I remember saying that you could make an eye there for sure, and then find another one in the center. The way it looks now, white is not making an eye at the bottom there... Maybe I'm mistaken, though.

Thanks for the links, I'll definitely go through them. I've read 'The Endgame' but found it rather hard, same for Get Strong at the Endgame. I put it aside again and will pick it up later, when I'll get more out of it, hopefully.

I don't think reaching 1 dan is easy at all, obviously. While it may be a faraway goal for me, it'll only be reached by keeping up the hard work. But as long as the motivation is there, I think I can make it!

Post #175 Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:13 am 
Lives in gote

A slower week, which has put a stop to playing games for a few days. But I worry not. I am doing my daily tsumego + 1 chapter in Jump Level Up + 1 chapter in Basic Tesuji.
Hope to get back into fighting shape over the weekend with another game with my fighting account!

However, I have been replaying and watching commentated games from Dosaku. And, yes, I have fallen in love with the beauty of his moves and his insight in the game. Even hundreds of years after he placed his stone, you can feel its power radiate. Simply wonderful and an additional motiation to get better. The more I could start to understand his moves even slightly, the happier I'll be!

This post by Ian Butler was liked by: Bill Spight

Post #176 Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:41 pm 
Lives in gote

I was trying to determine whether my ego is my biggest obstacle in becoming a better go player, or my biggest asset. Instinctively I'd say the former.

As much as I try not to, ego creeps into my go playing. Often in losing a game, the ego is hurt and puts me down a bit. This hurts my development and even worse, it hurts my enjoyement of Go. Because what wonderful moves my opponent sometimes plays to outsmart me. I should revel in its present, not dread it for fear of losing.

Yet it is also my ego that tells me it'd be great to become stronger. My ego tells me to become 5 kyu, 1 dan, even higher.
Perhaps without my ego, though, the beauty of the game would propel me forward inevitably, without the pressure of rank.

It is certainly something to think about, a praiseworthy goal to work towards, but a lifetime objective to complete, if ever, in all probability. And, in fact, the more I think about it, the more obvious it becomes. It is much like Go itself. The rules are so simple, complexity comes from the freedom within these simple rules. That is how life is, I think. The "rules" to life are so easy, so it allows for infinite complexity.

Things would definitely be a lot easier without that ego looking over my shoulder. Even without the aspect of Go, I should try to rid myself of it.
So why not start today?

Post subject: Re: The Story of a Loser - Ego
Post #177 Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:01 pm 
Honinbo

You are your own opponent. :D

Visualize whirled peas.

Post subject:
Post #178 Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:13 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Corollary to Bill's:

We're our biggest opponent. ( ccs )

This post by EdLee was liked by: Ian Butler

Post #179 Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:28 pm 
Honinbo

Pogo Possum wrote:
We have met the enemy and he is us.

Visualize whirled peas.

This post by Bill Spight was liked by: Ian Butler

Post #180 Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:05 pm 
Lives in gote

I played this game earlier today. It was rather blitz-y, so of course there are some silly mistakes to be found.
Especially a snapback I didn't forsee, a ko I basically passed up on and three captured stones I almost let go (but this time the opponent made the ko-blunder). But the game was, more than anything else, a whole load of fun.
June is my month to learn how to fight and this is the kind of fighting I've never done before. Groups spanning half the board fighting for life, cutting off each other, from dead to alive.

This game really gave me a thrill, so I wanted to share it here!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next