All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: TwentyTwentyOneDan
Post #21 Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:28 am 
Oza

Liked others: 662
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: Boidhre
jlt wrote:
The analogue of "I want to become a dan player" is not "I want to become a lawyer" but "both of us are law students, and I want to be among the top 10%".

The analogy is the the identity people attach to being a high performing student in class or part of a profession is similar to the identity they're attaching to being a strong go player. Being seen to be the that type of person or feeling that they are the kind of person who should be such. The idea of being in the top of your class and being part of a profession are extremely similar in terms of having social recognition as a major component of them for many people (i.e. we want people to notice and know that we are such). The idea being getting social recognition of such early being possibly demotivational for some people. If part of someone's reason to reach a particular rank in go is getting recognition from others about it then I can see how this work on identity goals might be relevant here. Similar to how a law student who is doing well because they find the subject intrinsically interesting may not be swayed in either direction by being told they are close to the top of their class.

shrugs

I can easily buy that talking about some kinds of goals is detrimental to progress and talking about others is not. Mostly dependent on the latter wanting feedback and guidance and the former wanting affirmation and praise.

Post #22 Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:32 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 7
Was liked: 1
KGS: SinKing
OGS: J__P__
I remember a similar idea from psychology where visualising succeeding in your goals (sitting in front of your finished novel) reduced the likelihood of completing them. Whereas visualising yourself in the middle of the process (sat at the computer, typing away) increased the likelihood of succeeding overall.

I think the idea was a similar thing where the visualisation satisfies some of the reward circuits of actually succeeding. With the appetite partially sated motivation drops.

I am hoping that my goals are specific and process-y enough to avoid too much of the this. There's also a lot of small things to tick off along the way, which allows me to feel I've made a little progress day-on-day which in turn makes things feel neat and short-term and avoids big picture burnout.

Post #23 Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:39 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
WriterJon wrote:
I am hoping that my goals are specific and process-y enough to avoid too much of the this. There's also a lot of small things to tick off along the way, which allows me to feel I've made a little progress day-on-day which in turn makes things feel neat and short-term and avoids big picture burnout.

There is research going way back that indicates that having subgoals helps. :)

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #24 Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:51 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 662
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: Boidhre
Bill Spight wrote:
WriterJon wrote:

There is research going way back that indicates that having subgoals helps. :)

Yeah the advice I got from psychologists (related to bipolar and ADHD management) was to break up bigger goals into smaller, short term and actionable subgoals. Have goals for this week's study in go, preferably a very attainable amount, rather than having goals about long term rank attainment. Key advice I got that seems relevant for go:

1) "Do not overestimate how much you can get done, it is better to reliably get a little less done than to feel bad and losing motivation because you cannot meet an unreasonable standard you've set for yourself" In particular here, be very wary of predicting how much of a book you can get through in a week in the future and setting that as your target. It is better to have "half an hour a day for life and death" than "Graded Go Problems for Beginners 4, Section 1, Monday." Rather than trying to work out how much time we need to get through a particular book or problem set we set aside blocks of time to do so and let the book take as along as it needs without feeling like we're failing or falling behind.

2) Do not make goals that do not have a natural deadline. It is easier to maintain motivation for a weekly study schedule than an amorphous "1d someday."

3) Reassess goals regularly, e.g. make a weekly plan, at the end of the first week consider what was good and what was bad and adjust the plan for next week accordingly. E.g. over time it might be that reading is your weakness not strategy/opening/etc so you adjust your weekly plan to have a higher % of life and death for a while to see if this helps, if not try a different change. *Expect* to have to change the study plan a lot over time, welcome this as progress in and of itself. Better recognising what we need to improve is something worthy in itself.

4) Fewer shorter term goals work better than a lot of medium term goals. It's easier to focus and get motivated on the former, the latter makes procrastination easier. So for me for example I normally have very simple study goals these days, usually one or two books I'm working through and when I spend my half hour a day doing problems it's from one of those two until I finish one of them and add a new book in. It dodges the "uhhh, which book should I study" procrastination loop by already having that choice made for me. It's also easier to get started (more specifically an ADHD thing) when there is nothing to do other than start. If I have to pick a book etc I could easily feel overwhelmed and find it difficult to focus on the task.

This post by Boidhre was liked by 2 people: Bill Spight, gennan

Post #25 Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:56 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 109
Was liked: 138
Universal go server handle: CDavis7M
The counterpoint to the "extravert paradox" is when your friends hold you accountable.

I am looking forward to seeing WriterJon's comment on at least one DDK game and his 2 lost games, and pictures of his bookmarks and flashcards. :study:

This post by CDavis7M was liked by: WriterJon

Post #26 Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:24 pm 
Dies in gote

It's a day early, but I am not especially planning to do much Go stuff on Sunday so Imma go ahead and post the update/change of plans here. The progress numbers are: done/total (the week's goal for done).

UPDATE: END of week ONE of ten

I’ve been playing mostly on Asian servers which I can’t get on my computer, so posting games is a bit of a faff. I’ll do it from time to time, but I’m taking it off my goals list for the moment.

Everything else, I’m doing quite well on. I love playing through classic games. I’m not at home for the current period now, so don’t have access to my proper board, but even the magnetic travel board I have is fun to lay games out on. I am a sucker for physical tech.

In terms of games, I think I am also going to try and get all four of my ratings (KGS-9 kyu, OGS-10kyu, Tygem-11 kyu, WBaduk-11 kyu) up to the same level. I still plan to play one each on every server this next week. But I'm also gonna try and put in as much volume as I can on just one of them.

GAMES

1. Play min of 10 games/week (min 10 min on the main clock). At least one each on KGS, OGS, WBaduk & Tygem.
10/100 (10)

READING

1. 38 Basic Joseki - (38 chapters).
4 Joseki a week, flashcards for the main joseki, just read the variations.
10/38 (4) Joseki read
38/38 (4) Joseki flashcarded

2. Tesuji (Davies) - (16 chapters)
2 chapters/week. Flashcard the problems.
2/16 (2) sections read & flashcarded

3. L&D (Davies) (36 chapters)
4 chapters/week. Flashcard the problems.
6/36 (4) chapters read & flash carded

4. Attack & Defense (10 chapters)
Read 1 chapter/week
1/10 (1) chapters read

5. Endgame (5 chapters)
Read 0.5 chapter/week
1.0/5.0 (0.5) chapters read

6. Relentless - (8 main games)
Play through the 8 main games, reading only the main commentary, dipping into variations on the basis of interest.
4/8 (1) main games played through

7. Get Strong at Tesuji (534 problems)
54 problems/week. Mostly treated as reading practice.
54/534 (54) problems done

8. GGP4B3 (77pp)
8 pages/week. Mostly treated as reading practice.
9/77 (8) pages of problems solved

9. Shape Up! (20 chapters)
Read 2 chapters a week.
2/20 (2) chapters read

10. Openings (501 problems)
Do 50 problems a week. Fairly quick, just trying to cement basis opening stuff.
52/501 (50) problems solved

RANK AT THE START OF WEEK two OF ten:
KGS - 9 kyu
OGS - 10 kyu
Tygem - 11 kyu
WBaduk - 11 kyu

Post #27 Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:45 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 177
Was liked: 491
WriterJon wrote:
I’ve been playing mostly on Asian servers which I can’t get on my computer

On Tygem you can go to Game Record > my game record, double-click on your game and press the button "Save". The file is in .gib format. If you want to convert it into .sgf, you can either use programs like Sabaki or Lizzie, or the online tool http://sowhat.ifdef.jp/SGF/gib2SGF.html

Post #28 Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:51 pm 
Dies in gote

jlt wrote:
On Tygem you can go to Game Record > my game record, double-click on your game and press the button "Save". The file is in .gib format. If you want to convert it into .sgf, you can either use programs like Sabaki or Lizzie, or the online tool http://sowhat.ifdef.jp/SGF/gib2SGF.html

Ah, cheers. I will give that a go.

Post #29 Posted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:13 am 
Dies in gote

UPDATE: END of week TWO of TWENTY

This week was a more normal one in terms of the quantity of work I could get done. I wasn't able to do nearly the ten week plan volume of things. So I've doubled the time (halving the weekly workload) and that seems much closer to the ideal.

I'm not averse to stretching it out further if need be, will see how this schedule works this week. I tend to find for me underpromising and over-delivering is a good way to keep my motivation up (the goals are, after all kind of arbitrary). So I like goals to be about 75% of what I can actually get done in a regular week. That way I have room for cheat days and to get the dopamine hit of overshooting a goal.

GAMES

1. Play min of 10 slow games/week (min 20 min on the main clock). At least one each on KGS, OGS, WBaduk & Tygem.
19/200 (20)

READING

2 Joseki a week, flashcards for the main joseki, just read the variations.
12/38 (12) Joseki read & flashcarded

1 chapters/week. Flashcard the problems.
4/16 (3) sections read & flashcarded

9/36 (8) chapters read & flash carded

Read 0.5 chapter/week
3/10 (1.5) chapters read

5. Endgame (5 chapters)
Read 0.5 chapter/week
1.5/5.0 (1.5) chapters read

Play through the 8 main games, reading only the main commentary, dipping into variations as needed.
0.5 games/week
5.0/8.0 (4.5) main games played through

27 problems/week. Mostly treated as reading practice.
90/534 (81) problems done

8. GGP4B3 (77pp)
4 pages/week. Mostly treated as reading practice.
11/77 (13) pages of problems solved

Read 1 chapters a week.
3/20 (3) chapters read

do 25 problems a week. Fairly quick, just trying to cement basis opening stuff.
92/501 (77) problems solved

KGS RANK AT THE START OF WEEK three OF twenty: still mid-9 kyu (only two games on this server so possibly an unhelpful metric. I'll have a think).

I fell a little behind on game-playing (unforch as this is really the important bit), and on GGP4B. But since I got ahead on a few other things this seems to be more of a time management thing than a lack of time thing.

Post #30 Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:27 am 
Dies in gote

A game in which I was roundly trounced. Any comments would be most appreciated.

This seems a theme in my recent play. Large groups that felt safe in the early midgame suddenly are gasping for life after the situation around them start to resolve in the endgame. I'm guessing the main thing is more L&D problems but maybe there's some pattern of strategic failing that leaves me in these spots?

Attachments:
rayuu-SinKing.sgf [4.28 KiB]
Downloaded 794 times

Post #31 Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:54 am 
Gosei

I won't comment everything, here are a few remarks.

:b19: looks small. Corners are usually bigger than a small extension on the side. Any move that protects the corner, like the kick R4, looks bigger.

:b45: better capture immediately with H4, thus turning two weak groups into a single strong group.

:b75: at Q2 would be good.

:b77: why are you attacking that meaningless stone? Identify your weak groups. The groups N2 and Q9 are weak, if you connect them you will only have one group to defend instead of two. For instance, play at O9. This connects the two weak groups, and at the same time takes a liberty from the cutting stones O8.

:w84: your opponent punished you for creating a weak group.

:b87: you are adding a stone to an already strong group, while E8 is weak (and the problem with the other weak groups hasn't been solved).

Around moves 99 and after, you create shapes with many weaknesses (cutting points).

This post by jlt was liked by: WriterJon

Post #32 Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:29 am 
Dies in gote

UPDATE: END of week THREE of twenty

Things have been a bit slow. I was short on my goals for games played, and some of the flashcard processes. But am a bit ahead on a stack of other things. That probably represents the areas where my interest is taking me. I think I will try an lean into that a bit. The important thing is that stuff is getting done. I haven't seen much movement in my ratings, though this could be because I'm not playing enough games to tip the scale at the mo.

Here's the state of things:

GAMES

1. Play min of 10 slow games/week (min 10 min on the main clock). At least one each on KGS, OGS, WBaduk & Tygem.
22/100 (24)

READING

16/38 (14) Joseki read

4/16 (5) sections read & flashcarded

9/36 (11) chapters read & flash carded

Read 0.5 chapter/week
5.5/10 (3.5) chapters read

5. Endgame (5 chapters)
Read 0.5 chapter/week
2.0/5.0 (2.0) chapters read

Play through the 8 main games, reading only the main commentary, dipping into variations as needed.
0.5 games/week
6.0/8.0 (5.5) main games played through

120/534 (117) problems done

8. GGP4B3 (77pp)
11/77 (17) pages of problems solved

Read 1 chapters a week.
4/20 (4) chapters read

do 25 problems a week. Fairly quick, just trying to cement basis opening stuff.
120/501 (117) problems solved

KGS RANK AT THE START OF WEEK two OF twenty: still mid-9 kyu

Post #33 Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:52 pm 
Dies in gote

UPDATE: END of week FIVE of twenty

I didn’t update last week because it was a bit of a mess and I wanted to do some readjustment. Plus delaying a week allowed me to do a quarter-point review of what is working and what is not.

Being massively ahead on some things allowed me to slack off in some areas to catch up in others.

As you can see, I finished the main games in "Relentless". It feels like far more than just a book of game records. I will definitely be returning to it at some point.

In fact, one thing I want to think about, and pick the community's brains about, is how best to handle re-reading books. Several of these books feel like they are getting across 5-25% of their knowledge. That’s useful stuff, but I’d like to go back and collect some of the rest when I am better equipped to absorb it in terms of either skill, time, or both.

How do you guys approach rereading/studying books?

GAMES

1. Play min of 5 slow-ish games/week (min 10 min on the main clock).
26/100 (25)

READING

1. 38 Basic Joseki - (38 chapters)
20/38 (10) Joseki read

4/16 (4) sections read & flashcarded

9/36 (10) chapters read & flash carded

6.0/10 (2.5) chapters read

5. Endgame (5 chapters)
3.0/5.0 (1.5) chapters read

0.5 games/week
8/8 main games played through

138/534 (134) problems done

8. GGP4B3 (77pp)
21/77 (20) pages of problems solved

5/20 (5) chapters read

136/501 (125) problems solved

KGS RANK AT THE START OF WEEK six OF twenty: just crossed into 8-kyu

Post #34 Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:50 am 
Dies in gote

This is the game that tipped me over into 8 kyu. I'm not sure how much value it has for teaching, so I'm posting it more as a record. But comments and thoughts are always welcome.

Attachments:
SinKing-Spells1.sgf [5.76 KiB]
Downloaded 760 times

Post #35 Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:13 am 
Gosei

Just one question: did :b19: need to respond at T18? If not, did :w18: have to connect at S16?

Post #36 Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:54 am 
Dies in gote

jlt wrote:
Just one question: did :b19: need to respond at T18? If not, did :w18: have to connect at S16?

First thoughts: The way I read it, there's no way to make the cut work at R18? Which is kind of what the hane was threatening.

But after tenuki...

Click Here To Show Diagram Code
[go]$$b
$$ ----------------------
$$ . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ . . . X X X . . X . . |
$$ . . O O O O X X O . . |
$$ . , . . . . O O 1 3 . |
$$ . . . . . . . . 2 S . |
$$ . . . . . . . 4 . . . |
$$ . . . . . . . . . . . |[/go]

...black gets sente as well as 4 points of territory and another sente endgame move at the square.

But, what I think you are Socratic-methoding me towards is the fact that the sente matters less locally because, presumably, my tenuki is either bigger or equal to his 5. tenuki. Or is sufficiently urgent that 1. in the diagram isn't big enough to do now?

Post #37 Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:11 am 
Gosei

We are at the very beginning of the game. At that stage, some moves are very big, like approaching a corner, invading at 3-3 or responding to a corner approach. Some of these moves haven't been played yet.

In some cases, you may want to play other moves than 3-3 or corner approach, namely when a move is urgent: defend a weak group or attack a weak group of your opponent. Playing at :w18: doesn't do any of these jobs. If you thought that your group was weak, then taking an extension at R12 would have been better: this makes an extension for your wall while putting pressure on the stone R10.

In the sequence of your last diagram: yes Black keeps sente (remember that you tenukied so Black had to wait until he gets sente to be able to play :b1:) and got more points, but White also became much thicker. The white wall was never there to make points, a wall is used to make influence, to attack, etc. The exchange :b1: :w2: :b3: :w4: gave a few points to Black but made White's wall much more efficient, so White gained more than Black.

By the way, your diagram doesn't correspond to your game, you have to remove a line:

[go]$$Bc
$$ --------------------
$$ . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ . . . X X X . . X . |
$$ . . O O O O X X O . |
$$ . , . . . . O O 1 3 |
$$ . . . . . . . . 2 S |
$$ . . . . . . . 4 . . |
$$ . . . . . . . . . . |[/go]

Black won't play the endgame at the square, as it is gote. It's White who will get that move. But in fact :b3: should capture, so as not to give White ko threats:

[go]$$Bc
$$ --------------------
$$ . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ . . . X X X . . X . |
$$ . . O O O O X X O 3 |
$$ . , . . . . O O 1 . |
$$ . . . . . . . . 2 . |
$$ . . . . . . . 4 . . |
$$ . . . . . . . . . . |[/go]

This post by jlt was liked by: WriterJon

Post #38 Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:57 am 
Dies in gote

Thank you, jlt. This is a fantastically clear response to my very muddled thinking!

Post #39 Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:51 am 
Dies in gote

UPDATE: END of week SEVEN of twenty

I’ve played very little lately, and fallen a little further behind on some of the books (though I did finish Attack and Defence outright).

Most of my play currently is correspondence games.

One thing I want to try and do is play 7-10 games on KGS so I can get a sense of if all this reading is doing anything to the quality of my game.

GAMES

1. Play min of 5 slow games/week (min 10 min on the main clock).
27/100 (35)

READING

27/38 (14) Joseki read

4/16 (7) sections read & flashcarded

9/36 (14) chapters read & flash carded

4. Shape Up! (15 chapters)
Read 1 chapters a week.
9/15 (7) chapters read

5. Get Strong at Tesuji (534 problems)
162/534 (189) problems done

6. Openings (501 problems)
Do 25 problems a week. Fairly quick, just trying to cement basis opening stuff.
156/501 (175) problems solved

7. GGP4B3 (77pp)
31/77 (28) pages of problems solved

8. Attack & Defense (10 chapters)

Read 0.5 chapter/week
10/10 (3.5) chapters read

9. Endgame (5 chapters)
Read 0.5 chapter/week
5.0/5.0 (3.0) chapters read

10. Relentless - (8 main games)
8/8 main games played through

KGS RANK AT THE START OF WEEK seven OF twenty: back down to 9-kyu

Post #40 Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:29 pm 
Dies in gote

Life interfered a little bit with a busy work week, an uptick in my interest in Western chess, and my first vaccine dose leaving me fatigued for about 10 days.

My Go life at the moment is mostly made up of correspondence games on OGS, a smattering of tsumego every day, and wistfully browsing the Yellow Mountain Imports webpage.

I did finish a few more of the books, but still have a few to finish working through.

After a period of book-heavy study, I am looking forward to coming back and mostly putting my Go time into playing games. Hopefully, I'll have some .sgfs to post here shortly.