It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: OnColdCliff's Study Journal
Post #1 Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:20 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 4
OGS: DyinRich
I guess this is a good as place as any to start getting more involved in this forum! Today I just bring one game that I played at my local go club. By far, not one of my best games as I made some serious mistakes and misreads throughout the game. I have a commentary of my own and tried to keep it lighthearted, I think there's a good few lessons from this game that I can bring to my next one!

I still need to review this game with AI. I threw it into Ai Sensei to see what moves were mistakes and thankfully there weren't as many as in the past!

Besides this I've been lacking in studying, but I'm almost done with the The Basics of Attacking chapter in The Second Book of Go by Richard Bozulich. I can't tell how much it's improving my game, but the in the last few games I've had I feel like I've made more solid moves than I did a few months ago when I started playing. With some time off work for Thanksgiving I'll try and play some more games online, maybe some wins against players at a similar strength to me will boost my confidence.

Attachments:
K - Big M 2022-11-22.sgf [5.26 KiB]
Downloaded 332 times

Post subject: Re: OnColdCliff's Study Journal
Post #2 Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:56 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 22
Was liked: 168
IGS: kvasir
Welcome!

Btw I'm not sure why this post went unanswered for three days :scratch:

About the game. I think you are already getting into some problem when you let white double approach, it is good to always consider some simple and safe variation before anything else. This is especially true in handicap games and when 20 kyu. In the game you could simply extend from the corner, as shown in the diagram, it is worry free and can't be bad.

Click Here To Show Diagram Code
[go]$$
$$ ---------------------------------------
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . O . . . . . X . . . |
$$ | . . O . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . X . . . . . X . . . |
$$ | . . . . . 1 . . . . . . . |
$$ ---------------------------------------[/go]

Next the decision to let go of the stone that was in atari was something that weakened your shape instead of strengthening it. If you just connect then you will have many ways to surround some space in the corner, surrounding space is an easy way to make strong groups and it is quite big because it is territory too. You could have played as in the next diagram.

[go]$$
$$ | . . . . . . . X . . . . . |
$$ | . . . . . O . . . . . . . |
$$ | . 3 . X 1 X O . . X . . . |
$$ | . . . . X O 2 . . . . . . |

or if white changes tack it is still OK to play safety first. Basically, once you have a weak group it is hard to go back and the game becomes more difficult and you can get pretty far in Go by avoiding having weak groups :)

[go]$$
$$ | . 2 . X 1 X O . . X . . . |
$$ | . . 3 . X O . . . . . . . |

I try not to give many comments on the same game, it just confuses people. If you can learn to avoid what happened in the lower left that is actually quite the lesson :study:

Post #3 Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:25 pm 
Beginner

Thank you for the input! I find openings difficult because once the first few stones are on the board my mind feels almost blank of what to do next.

kvasir wrote:
About the game. I think you are already getting into some problem when you let white double approach, it is good to always consider some simple and safe variation before anything else. This is especially true in handicap games and when 20 kyu. In the game you could simply extend from the corner, as shown in the diagram, it is worry free and can't be bad.

[go]$$
$$ | . . . X . . . . . X . . . |
$$ | . . . . . 1 . . . . . . . |

I see what you mean by double approach, not answering that appropriately seemed to be my downfall the lower left corner. I'm aware :b1: in your chart is a standard opening move, but its a response to white's approach rather than just a regular opening move like I did in my game with :b4:.

kvasir wrote:
Next the decision to let go of the stone that was in atari was something that weakened your shape instead of strengthening it. If you just connect then you will have many ways to surround some space in the corner, surrounding space is an easy way to make strong groups and it is quite big because it is territory too. You could have played as in the next diagram.

[go]$$
$$ | . 3 . X 1 X O . . X . . . |
$$ | . . . . X O 2 . . . . . . |

I remember thinking that sacrificing that stone in atari would be less painful than trying to protect it, my gut isn't always right when it comes to go! Even my opponent pointed it out when he captured it and we went over that play later. Interestingly, in his review later he suggested playing here:

[go]$$ ---------------------------------------
$$ | . . . . . . 2 . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . X 1 X O . . X . . . |
$$ | . . . . X W . . . . . . . |

Doing so is a bit more conservative, but plays for central influence and gives up white's marked stone.

Recognizing and making good shape is something I need to work on, I've started making flashcards in Anki of common shapes (good and bad) and I'm hopeful that'll be useful.

Post #4 Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:00 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 22
Was liked: 168
IGS: kvasir
OnColdCliff wrote:
Doing so is a bit more conservative, but plays for central influence and gives up white's marked stone.

Yes, white can play various moves. The diagram is only meant to show that black can surround a large area in the corner and doesn't need to find more advanced moves. Basically, you could still keep it quite simple and then try to solve whatever problem white tried to pose next.

Post #5 Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:48 am 
Beginner

A little late on updating this, but I'm happy to present my first 19x19 game! I'd been feeling cramped by a 13x13 (though I'll probably continue to play it online for quick games and practice) and figured it was time to upgrade. After discussing it with my opponent in the below game, we agreed that a 6 stone handicap was probably best to start out on.

This game is from last week, and I have another I played last night that ended in resignation, but I've yet to review that so I'll try and upload it later this week. In that game I noticed that I was essentially playing 4 separate games in each corner, which didn't lead to making big moves on the board but rather let my opponent make solid plays in the center. Just something for myself to think about!

Many, many variations in this game, it's largely for me but I've also included my opponents review as well. I'm not sure how much that helps or hurts. I don't expect anyone else to read them, but they're there if you want them!

In this game I was pretty happy with the result, I think I've been able to apply more of what I've studied. Moves 42 - 53 I was really happy with. Even though I couldn't kill white, the local position was the best I could have hoped for. A lot of my post game review was really helpful in seeing what moves were objectively better than the ones I made.

Another part of my recent study has been making and reviewing flashcards with Anki. Mostly vocab and shapes (good and bad) to remember. I think it's been super useful as sometimes I forget and mix up terms like Aji or Seki. When it's at a point I feel it's complete I hope to release it for other beginners like myself.

Attachments:
Karl v Big M (11-29-22).sgf [14.41 KiB]
Downloaded 299 times