It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Getting Firefox to automatically open SGF in viewer?
Post #1 Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:01 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 0
GD Posts: 10
KGS: antinoun
I have never been able to get DGS SGF links to open automatically in an external SGF viewer, but I have no problem with OGS SGF file.
Despite changing the options->applications thing for SGF, and despite the apparently rhetorical "Do this automatically for files like this for now on", it never works, I always get a prompt dialog.

Anyone have any better luck with this than me?

Post subject: Re: Getting Firefox to automatically open SGF in viewer?
Post #2 Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:53 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 52
Was liked: 43
IGS: ethanb
antinoun wrote:
I have never been able to get DGS SGF links to open automatically in an external SGF viewer, but I have no problem with OGS SGF file.
Despite changing the options->applications thing for SGF, and despite the apparently rhetorical "Do this automatically for files like this for now on", it never works, I always get a prompt dialog.

That's likely to be the server's fault - it's probably sending the file as the wrong MIME type. I'd guess it's telling your browser the file is plain/text instead of application/x-sgf. Not much you can do about that unless you want to open all text files with an SGF viewer. Maybe you can submit a bug report to the DGS admins?

Post #3 Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:26 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 53
Was liked: 171
GD Posts: 1104
KGS: fwiffo
There's a Firefox plugin for forcing mime types, but I believe DGS already gives the right mime type. There's something else causing it to not open automatically.

Post #4 Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:50 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 69
Was liked: 25
The content-disposition header probably.

Post #5 Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:02 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 38
Was liked: 27
KGS: venkman, M2Brett1
antinoun wrote:

There's an "Open With" addon which I'm using to add an "Open with qGo" item to the right-click menu. That's probably not exactly what you want but it may help. I'm using it for those sites which open the sgf as text in another tab (like the igo-kisen Go News site).

Post #6 Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:02 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 0
KGS: Traveller
IGS: Traveller
DGS: Traveller
OGS: Traveller
Just a note.

My installation of Firefox, current as of the last time I checked for new versions, properly opens SmartGo for SGFs from both OGS and DGS. I have no extra plug-ins for handling files or similar content. I'll have to look at the configuration, but my installation is very vanila, just Java and Flash added.

AGA 20k, OGS 14k, DGS 16k, KGS ?

Post #7 Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:20 pm 
Lives in gote

crux wrote:
antinoun wrote:

There's an "Open With" addon which I'm using to add an "Open with qGo" item to the right-click menu. That's probably not exactly what you want but it may help. I'm using it for those sites which open the sgf as text in another tab (like the igo-kisen Go News site).

I've been thinking about learning how to make a Greasemonkey script just for the "IGO THE UNLIMITED GAME" blog which has the SGF pasted in text-wise as part of the web page. It's updated quite frequently, but I can rarely make myself go check it out because I'll have to copy/paste the game into a text file instead of just clicking a download link.

Does something of the sort already exist, so I can put off learning Greasemonkey yet again, but not feel guilty? :)

Post #8 Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:15 pm 
Lives in gote

Embarrassing! I just realized that NoScript was blocking Eidogo viewer from running on the page I mentioned above. Still no download link though, so I may end up doing the GreaseMonkey thing anyway. :)