It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Getting back into Go
Post #1 Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:39 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 6
Was liked: 65
I have finally decided to come out of the woodwork and join this forum.

I learnt to play Go some 50 years ago, reached BGA 2dan around 1972, but found myself hitting a barrier in playing strength, I
had stopped playing by 1980. A busy job and other interests intervened, however I read the odd book and perhaps never gave up Go 100%.
I retired some 10 years ago and eventually decided to visit my local Go club six months ago.

I seem to be 1kyu(ish) and find myself club secretary. I now focus on tutoring and teaching other players.

I spent 14 months in Japan from 1969-1970, studying Go and worked for The Nihon Kiin in their overseas department.

This post by John Tilley was liked by: Galation

Post subject: Re: Getting back into Go
Post #2 Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:54 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
Tilley! Long time. Welcome back. :)

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post subject:
Post #3 Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:30 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
:)

Post #4 Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:51 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
Welcome back. I remember you but you probably don't remember me. After all, I have only been playing 43 years. But I remember seeing you at tournaments when I was not too strong. :)

Post #5 Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:20 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 319
Was liked: 287
Universal go server handle: jeromie
Welcome! Glad to have you here on the site.

Post #6 Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:27 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
Welcome from one of the younger generation of British players (born 1985, started playing 2005). Where in the UK are you? The Cambridge Trigantius tournament is this Saturday 12th, it would be wonderful to see you there.

Post #7 Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:38 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 134
Was liked: 23
I think John might feature on a remarkable British Go Journal cover featuring 1970s fashion (long hair and 1970s suits), along with Jon Diamond (aka mumps) and Paul Prescott (former British Go Champion).

Post #8 Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:16 pm 
Oza

Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
dust wrote:
I think John might feature on a remarkable British Go Journal cover featuring 1970s fashion (long hair and 1970s suits), along with Jon Diamond (aka mumps) and Paul Prescott (former British Go Champion).

Issue 24, Oct 1974
That's the same month I played my first ever tournament, as a 10k.

Diamond on the left, Prescott on the right.

Attachment:
Presentation1.jpg
Presentation1.jpg [ 18.04 KiB | Viewed 13160 times ]

EDIT: It is amazing to think that this picture was taken almost 42 years ago and two of the three people in it have posted here in the last two days!!

Last edited by DrStraw on Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

This post by DrStraw was liked by 2 people: Drew, dust

Post #9 Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:03 pm 
Lives with ko

Thanks!

Post #10 Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:40 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 2
Universal go server handle: Katharsys
Online playing schedule: Shooting for twice a week between 20:00-03:00 (UTC -7)
Welcome! Interested to see some of your games! I'm curious as to how the play style was back then. :lol:

Post #11 Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:05 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 187
Katharsys wrote:
I'm curious as to how the play style was back then. :lol:

Interesting point. I recall playing John T. in the days of the London Go Centre, and discussing whether capturing some loose stones was big enough. I must have been a recent 1 dan then.

I think it is genuinely hard for today's players to imagine the study conditions in the mid-1970s. No online go. No databases of games. I remember treasuring each pro game record that was available in magazines. Books in English could make an impact because they had ideas in them that were not previously available (e.g. "Kage's Secret Chronicles").

The consequences were that we were much more self-taught, and the resemblance to pro play in games was pretty much limited to joseki. The general style was quite slow, heavy, territorial and conservative. (Some people did play a sort of homebrew shinfuseki.) I once went through the game records of the 1976 European Go Congress top group, and I wouldn't want to repeat the experience.

Basically European go of that time was based on misconceptions, some of them strongly held.

This post by Charles Matthews was liked by 2 people: hyperpape, Katharsys

Post #12 Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:27 am 
Lives with ko

I learnt to play Go in London in the 1980s. The London Go Centre had closed, and the kipper ties and long hair were long gone, but I think the 70s playing style was hanging over the scene.

Basically, there was a general impression that attacking and - worse - killing groups were crude plays of amateurs. There was a misunderstanding about Japanese Go, where the shape qualities were appreciated - but there was no real understanding of the power that lay behind the moves. At the time, Matthew Macfadyen were exploring attacking go, but was regarded as a bit of a maverick.

It wasn't until the early 1990s (still pre-internet), when the chinese player Shutai Zhang arrived in London, that some of us appreciated that there was a whole other dimension to Go, with a dynamic fighting tension on the board underlying what appear to be on the surface calm moves. And, of course, he also opened our eyes to the world of attacking go.

This post by dust was liked by: hyperpape

Post #13 Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:57 am 
Lives in gote

dust wrote:
I learnt to play Go in London in the 1980s. The London Go Centre had closed, and the kipper ties and long hair were long gone, but I think the 70s playing style was hanging over the scene.

I had the long hair to 1977, but not the tie.

dust wrote:
Basically, there was a general impression that attacking and - worse - killing groups were crude plays of amateurs. There was a misunderstanding about Japanese Go, where the shape qualities were appreciated - but there was no real understanding of the power that lay behind the moves.

I think the early go books in English made a real mess with explaining influence. In fact this is known to be the case, and has been for a while. It took me quite some time to work out why, though. The basic points seem to me now to be:

[*]You probably don't get to real 5d without a proper understanding of how influence factors into positional judgement.
[*]Players at 3d/4d level actually tend to overestimate "attacking go".
[*]Players at 1d/2d level tend to underestimate "living go", because these are the bookworms.
[*]You are supposed to learn about influence, in the traditional paternalistic Japanese system, as Black in handicap games.

The trouble was, in brief, that: (a) people tended to moan about or misunderstand handicap go as Black; and (b) adopted the 3d/4d view of influence as "power", conflated with "thickness". From (a) you get the over-engineered "solid" positions, while from (b) you get the misapprehension that attacking groups is the basic skill, when defending well is actually harder.

So I'm not entirely agreeing with you. There are different flavours of "amateurism" to be overcome.

dust wrote:
At the time, Matthew Macfadyen were exploring attacking go, but was regarded as a bit of a maverick.

Reasons for that!

Macfadyen's training, I concluded, was all about the 4d/5d boundary. This definitely addresses the tough problem for European go: 4d players are produced by the tournament circuit, but it is a well-known plateau.

One way for me to conceptualise what the problem is: the 1k/1d boundary is surely very significant for amateurs, but came into view for us in the 1960s. The 4d/5d boundary, seen from below (by a 3d from 1979) is of the same type, but much harder to explain.

dust wrote:
It wasn't until the early 1990s (still pre-internet), when the chinese player Shutai Zhang arrived in London, that some of us appreciated that there was a whole other dimension to Go, with a dynamic fighting tension on the board underlying what appear to be on the surface calm moves. And, of course, he also opened our eyes to the world of attacking go.

Shutai Zhang had trained as a pro, so of course knew what was what.

This post by Charles Matthews was liked by 2 people: Drew, dust

Post #14 Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:52 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 65
Was liked: 340
GD Posts: 2428
Welcome! Can I assume that you are responsible for a certain little blue (and occasionally green) book that was quite essential back in the pre-internet days?

Post #15 Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:39 am 
Dies in gote

This turned into a very interesting thread. :D

Post #16 Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:42 am 
Dies in gote

HKA wrote:
Welcome! Can I assume that you are responsible for a certain little blue (and occasionally green) book that was quite essential back in the pre-internet days?

Is that blue book you're referencing have to do with the 3-3 point?!

Post #17 Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:22 pm 
Lives in gote

Katharsys wrote:
HKA wrote:

Is that blue book you're referencing have to do with the 3-3 point?!

No - the book reviewed here:

http://senseis.xmp.net/?GOInternational ... Dictionary

A "go to" in the early days, when Ishi Press books were dense with Japanese jargon, and one could navigate Japanese problem books with around 15 kanji (mostly).

Post #18 Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:21 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 6
I seemed to have kicked off quite an interesting thread! - many thanks for all the kind words of welcome. We live near Winchester in the UK, which is some 60 miles south-west of London. I am now secretary of the Winchester Go Club.

Yes the fashions then were "different" - I might have some old kipper ties somewhere still, I am open for offers. Maybe prizes at a tournament, first prize 1 tie, second prize 2 ties...

Go in the 1960s and 1970s was quite challenging! - very few books, no lessons and "everyman for himself". I remember Richard Bozulich passing through the London Go Club (then at The Pontefract Castle) en route to Japan to start publishing go books. I am guessing it was summer 1967. The early Ishi Press books focused on joseki and fuseki and I think steered me into studying the wrong things! It is worth remembering how strong Jurgen Mattern was then and he had exactly the same materials as everyone else. I also remember playing Matthew McFadyen for the first time in January 1975, he was 2kyu.

I would describe my style of 1970 as good shape, too focused on territory, not aware of forcing moves - the Ishi Press hadn't published "The Elementary Series" then - so no "Attack and Defense". We bought books in Japanese to study - there were a few advertised in Go Review. Friends at The Nihon Kiin felt that I should adopt a more aggressive style and I was given a copy of "Honinbo Shusai Complete Games" in 6 volumes by one of the editors. We sat down and he produced a list of 50 suggested games to study.

One of the things that I did do, was to record all my tournamant games for 5 years and study them. Two of them were commented on in Go Review. I also recorded a good number of teaching games in Japan (typically 7 stones) with comments and also some ren Go at Iwamoto's salon on a Sunday. Sadly I didn't record my 4 stone game against Kawabata Yasunari at the Saturday Kitani club in Yotsuya and neither did I record the ren Go with Nakamura Kuniko (now 2p), Segoe (9p) and Iwamoto's daughter.

This post by John Tilley was liked by 2 people: Drew, HKA

Post #19 Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:42 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 82
Oh my.... nostalgia.

The lack of go-related material in English started me on studying Japanese, back then.

Post #20 Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:46 pm 
Oza

Nyanjilla wrote:
Oh my.... nostalgia.

The lack of go-related material in English started me on studying Japanese, back then.

Me too. And it could not have worked out better. I met my wife in Japanese class!

Nice to hear John's stories. It was several years later when I started but the stories of studying in Britain sound familiar. Except that I never got to Japan. :(